Chrysler clear coat

Ryan R

Reaction score
I messaged Bobby G about this once since we have the same year Dakata (bobby) and Durango (me).
Compounding and polishing my Durango was a real tough one. I was using the 105/205 compound with orange and yellow 5.5 LC flat pads.

So now here I am with a black pt cruiser with tons of swirls and rids.
I'm currently polishing with a surbuff pad and SIP and boy is this thing taking pass upon pass of SLOW passes.

Don't get me started. In my driveway are a 2009 black Charger, a 2004 silver Durango, and a 2006 metallic gray Dakota.

I get so angry at these cars!

The Charger took me 11 hours of polishing....

And to add to this...I'm not getting 100% correction on this.
The scratches are not able to be caught by the fingernail so why or what am I doing wrong to not get 100%?
I also did a panel with 105 on yellow and didn't help.
This leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong

And to add to this...I'm not getting 100% correction on this.
The scratches are not able to be caught by the fingernail so why or what am I doing wrong to not get 100%?
I also did a panel with 105 on yellow and didn't help.
This leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong

Spritz the area with water and go back at it :buffing: Work in small tight areas too!

Spritz the area with water and go back at it :buffing: Work in small tight areas too!

I am! Lol
Is dividing a panel (door for example) into 4's small enough?
Im moving about an inch per second to the right,then the same speed back to the left

Here's a before and after of the door...it's a big improvement but not the 100% I'm looking for

d8a4136d-d2a4-419a.jpg

d8a4136d-d2b1-1d23.jpg

Thats about as good as you should expect. Especially on a daily driver

Looks good to me

No rotary and wet sanding experience...one day.

Going to give it a Prep-All wipe down and top it with some 845.
Will post pics in the morning

I know how you feel. The paint on my Jeep is extremely difficult to polish, yet scratches and scuffs extremely easily.

Will stay tuned for afters!

I see a couple of scuffs you might try to use a rotary on, or wetsand, but generaly speaking, yes, I would call it a day

Thats the dirt on your computer screen messin the experience up for you Flash :D

Here's the after... My halogen bulbs blew on me so sorry for the poor lighting...
I applied 2 coats of 845...Car owner didn't have a garage or dry environment for a sealant to cure. I would've liked to do a wolf gang sealant followed by 845

a6937627-2940-c26a.jpg

Looks like it tuned out nice.

Thanks...unfortunately I didn't take a before picture of the entire car...but with the 50/50 shots of some panels most will get the idea lol.

I know I speak for most of us when I say "we're are own worst critics" . I seem to get upset when I can't get 100% but then the owner picks it up and loves it...always reassuring

I hear ya. I figure that is how you know you still have passion though. If you are just busting out small corrections and not wanting to achieve more, then you are probably burnt out. So as crappy as you feel sometimes, in reality it just means your a good passionate detailer.

I never thought of my Magnum as having an overly hard clear.
If I remember this was 1 pass with 205 and a Hydro-Tech 6.5 Inch Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad on my Dewalt 443 DA. Granted it was just scratches from a bad car wash.
IMG_0724.jpg

I hear ya. I figure that is how you know you still have passion though. If you are just busting out small corrections and not wanting to achieve more, then you are probably burnt out. So as crappy as you feel sometimes, in reality it just means your a good passionate detailer.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Back