Collinite 845 Potency Test

tw33k2514

Reaction score
The concern of the solvents in Collinite 845 was brought up in this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-i-m-seeing-many-people-use-845iw-topper.html . So I set out to see if 845 Actually has an effect on a layer of protection underneath it.

The Process:

I first Did an ONR wash on the hood using my handy dandy Lowes grout sponge.

845test012.jpg

845test013.jpg

Then, It was time to clay the panel!

845test016.jpg

845test017.jpg

It was then time to dry the panel. I did this did the Walmart dish rack mat. (amazing btw).

845test018.jpg

At last! Time to polish this bad boy.

845test024.jpg

Gotta prime your pad!

845test027.jpg

845test030.jpg

845test031.jpg

And Now we wipe it off.

845test032.jpg

845test033.jpg

As you can see it did clear up the paint a bit. Not much, but the color is very lame so...

sc75t5.jpg

And now the good ol IPA wipe. I used 17%.

845test051.jpg

NICE and glossy!

845test058.jpg

845test059.jpg

The SHARPIE test!

It was mentioned that the curiosity existed about whether or not 845 would do any thing to a sharpie mark under it. So I tried it. And as you will see it did nothing at all. I find this to actually be an invalid test because I could not IPA it off, or clay it off. I had to polish it off.

Before 845

845test067.jpg

After 845

845test068.jpg

Applying the LSP's
I let both of these sit for about 45 minutes before removing.

845test079.jpg

Both products hazed on surface.

845test073.jpg

And now some Sun shots:

845test080.jpg

845test081.jpg

845test083.jpg

845test084.jpg

845test085.jpg

845test086.jpg

845test087.jpg

845test088.jpg

845test089.jpg

845test090.jpg

I am going to coat the BFWD side with a top layer of 845 tomorrow, and then I will keep you guys updated month by month on how it is going. My personal opinion is that the 845 will have no effect on the BFWD. But who knows. Maybe this test will prove me wrong.

I might have missed it....but I'm guessing 1 side is straight 845, and the other is going to be BFWD + 845 after you top it tomorrow? I don't think you mentioned exactly what you were putting on there. :)

If this is the case, I'm going to guess that both sides will be identical in terms of durability.

I might have missed it....but I'm guessing 1 side is straight 845, and the other is going to be BFWD + 845 after you top it tomorrow? I don't think you mentioned exactly what you were putting on there. :)

If this is the case, I'm going to guess that both sides will be identical in terms of durability.

Lol your right I did forget. The left side is just 845, and the right is going to be BFWD + 845.

Gotcha. The truck looks great, by the way. Very glossy! :cheers:

Yeah... More to come too :(

I will make sure I update this thread ever 3 weeks or so.

This is some hardcore detailing...

"I'm going to clean/prep/wax my car outside in the snow and only then will I write on my hood in Sharpie."

Never heard of the Sharpie thing...gonna have to head back to that thread. Will definitely be keeping up on this one as well.

:xyxthumbs:

To be fair... I detailed it in the garage.

But the way I see it... Go hard, or go home.

And yeah, if you read the thread I posted you will understand the sharpie thing.

You should have seen the look on my face when IPA and clay did not remove it lol.

To be fair... I detailed it in the garage.

But the way I see it... Go hard, or go home.

And yeah, if you read the thread I posted you will understand the sharpie thing.

You should have seen the look on my face when IPA and clay did not remove it lol.

Great job on your presentation!

Did you also do the "sharpie test" on the BFWD side....I wonder how it would fare? Thanks.
(I don't have any BFWD myself, or I'd try it.)

:)

Bob

Great job on your presentation!

Did you also do the "sharpie test" on the BFWD side....I wonder how it would fare? Thanks.
(I don't have any BFWD myself, or I'd try it.)

:)

Bob

I did not. But when I go to finish tomorrow I will do it and get back to you.

Ben,

God man, that's SNOW on your car and your working away like it's warm and comfortable!! ...:eek:

How did the products react at those temps?
Did you find it more difficult working with them especially Collinite 845?

I think this is a great test and I'm very eager to monitor its progress.....

Talk about a gorgeous shine!! :props:

Great test! Thanks for sharing. IMHO I've always "believed" that any differences are minimal at best, that goes for layering as well. So I would expect the durability and looks to be identical~

Now are far as deep and glossy versus wet and glossy, perhaps your next test can shed some light on that one!

thanks!

Ben,

God man, that's SNOW on your car and your working away like it's warm and comfortable!! ...:eek:

Honestly, I did not notice any change in workability. It may have been slightly harder to wipe off, but other than that ...nothing.

Maybe it is because I have mastered applying it super thin, IDK.

And BFWD was still stupid easy to wipe off even in the 36 degree weather. Although, it was probably more like 40-42 in the garage.

Wow you did get some snow. You know where I'm at and we didn't get anything.

Ben,

Watching this as well...Big fan of 845...And interested in how BFWD will look on BMW Alpine White..

Thanks for the COLD hard work Ben...:xyxthumbs:

Just an Update:

I applied 845 on top of BFWD side today It went on buttery smooth, probably because BFWD is really slick. I also put one more coat of 845 on the 845 side for coverage purposes. Pictures tomorrow hopefully, as it is raining like a banshee outside right now.

Oh, and I did the same sharpie test on another part of the car, but this time with BFWD. The BFWD was the same as the 845, and did nothing. I again had to polish it off.

Back