PDA

View Full Version : stick shift vs. paddle shifters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

VISITOR
12-02-2011, 03:50 PM
which do you like better and why? discuss...

rider9195
12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
I am a fairly new driver. Started driving in September. I really wanted to learn how to drive stick and ended up getting a stick car. I find it so much more fun to drive stick than an automatic. I can see where somebody would prefer a auto car with paddle shifters though. If you are in stop and go traffic and so on.

I will drive stick over any other type of transmission any day.

Edit: Some manual transmissions are less expensive than some of the new automatic transmissions, I think.

Cool Runnings
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I would have to go paddle shifters.
-dual clutch automatics are faster than a traditional manual.
-never miss a shift
-many paddle shifter cars automatically "blip" for a perfect shift
-never take your hands of the wheel

And finally F1 cars use paddle shifters.

JBL
12-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I've always driven AT. At 45,000 miles a year, it seems like it makes more sense to me. My inner car guy loathes the fact though. Even so--and even with the mechanical knowledge of what's physically happening in there--I'm not too proficient with a stick. My only real issues are leaving out of 1st and hunting for shift points.

The last time I tried it was in a crapcan race and I stalled out in the paddocks in front of everyone. :doh:

I'd love to become more proficient with a stick shift, but I have nothing against the paddle shifters today either (or "manual" automatics even). If I had to choose though, I'd go with stickshift all day long.

Where's sequential fit into this? WRC makes it look like so much fun!

erock
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
I have been driving stick for years, you cant compare paddle shifting to real stick shifts. You have no control of the clutch. Nothing is better than winding up the engine and letting out the clutch. You have total control. maybe Ferrari paddle shifters are cool. But others.....not so much

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I love my manual transmission and there is nothing like the feeling of actually have to drive the car yourself instead of just pointing the wheel where you want and pushing the pedal down. It is fun to go through the gears and rev match your downshifts and so on.

I dont really care for and automatic trans with paddles. If I wanted a car with paddles it would have to be a Dual Clutch Trans.

I have driven the DCT trans and they are very fun to drive and still act a bit like a manual but have much quicker shifts and some even feature launch control. Launch control can make for a super quick launch.

ZimRandy
12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
In my 1995 Impala SS, I yanked out the automatic and put in a T56 six speed manual from a Z28.

I think that will answer the question. :xyxthumbs:

Randy

FUNX650
12-02-2011, 04:44 PM

Over the years, I really have enjoyed many different vehicles with a manual/stick shift tranny, as well as some that were automatics.

There are a few vehicles that demand more money if equipped with a manual/stick shift tranny....Old and New.

Nowadays, I prefer the paddle shift.... if I want to use it instead of allowing the automatic shifting to occur, that is.

Yeah the stick shift is still "cool"...And a paddle shift is not quite the same....But:
I've yet to see anyone...including myself----while young(er), or the now 'old(er) version'---that can shift faster than a computer.

I feel my little ol' paddle-shift-equipped red car gets me where I want to go...and in a hurry, if need be...I'll admit, though, that I rather enjoy driving the computer a little crazy sometimes, especially when the torque limiter is being approached.

:)

Bob

ShinyRex
12-02-2011, 04:47 PM
My Wife's car (09 Fit) has paddle shifters and I got my first manual last year (2011 WRX). For commuting in L.A. traffic or if you have to have an AT then paddles are a lot of fun and can make some mundane cars enjoyable.

I prefer a manual when I am not stuck in bumper to bumper traffic though. I never drove stick for my first 13 years of driving and my only regret is that I didn't own one sooner.

Bobby B.
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I guess it depends on the vehicle

Economy 4 cyclinder - (Stick) Automatic would feel to slow for me

Sports Car - (Stick) I want to have full control and feel the power

Luxury Sports Car - (Stick) I want to have full control and feel the power

Luxury Car - (Automatic) I want to be lazy and enjoy the comfort

Truck / SUV - (Automatic) I just prefer Automatics in trucks unless it's an SRT-10

4x4 - (Stick) I want to have full control Off Road

JBL
12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I prefer a manual when I am not stuck in bumper to bumper traffic though.

Ooopha...that's the other thing. My car would've been left on the Schukyll Expressway years ago. Traffic reports that cover accidents and construction are so constant on that highway that they should just come on when it's clear.

5.4 Shelby
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Manual, hands down. Paddles dont have the feel or sound of a true manual. I have driven them thinking it would be close. I walk away saying I would not order that option.

SkateForGirl
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I had a 2006 VW GLI with a DSG gearbox (paddleshifters). Once I got the car tuned and full bolt ons the DSG gearbox responded so nicely. Literally shifted in the blink of an eye and I loved every second with it. Now I have a 2005 Honda S2000 (6-speed) and love the manual transmission. With that said they are both fun to drive but I would go with a manual. You feel like you have more control of your car

FUNX650
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM

Hey BigAl3...I forgot to ask....What is your favorite tranny set-up? Any of your favorite currently in any of your vehicles?

Thanks.

:)

Bob

TornadoRed
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I think it's important to state that not all paddle shifters are DSG. Automatics with a manual shift, by either stick or paddles suck. The response is just too slow and I don't see why one would even bother with that option. Now DSG paddle shifters are different. The next gear is already selected and engaged almost instantly.
I've had three cars with manual automatics (two with paddles) and I never used it. My GTI is stick and it just seems like I'm part of the car. I haven't driven a true DSG.