Changing from Zanio to ??

smooth72

Reaction score
I have used Zanio for years, but I am willing to see if something is better. The project is my Yellow Vette. I am finishing a long custom project and want to get the best look. I have been polishing and paint correcting for years http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/19779-polished-polisher.html , my Makita is probably older than most on here. My son-law painted the car with PPG best, 6 coats of clear, many sanded off. It has been wet sanded to 3000 grit, Menzerna power polish, Meguiars 105/205, Menzerna Finishing Glaze. Now what after paint cures out?

Project not finished Project Z51EXTREME - Page 4 - Corvette Forum
w2.jpg

heart6.jpg

pops3.jpg

some wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant topped after the 12-24 hour cure time with some dodo juice banana armor or orange crush waxes, do a couple of coats of those and they will enhance the yellow :).im sure bobby will chime in as he owns a yellow vette.

Zaino guy myself. I can tell you that I would use Ultima Paint Guard Plus as a substitute. Equally as durable and shines awesome!

my Makita is probably older than most on here.

Probably...

I still have the original Makita I bought back in 1988, think it was $165.00 and back then it was thE rotary buffer to have...

My personal RB for over a decade now has been my trusty, dusty Makita, Note how the sand-cast, textured finish on the aluminum head of my Makita Rotary Buffer has been worn smooth after years of buffing. At the end of the day I would usually be bleeding in two places on my hand where it rubbed mostly because I was to dumb or lazy to wear a band-aid, or put some tape on my finger or knuckle where it rubbed.

600_mediumshotafter15yearsofbuffing.jpg

600_closeupafter15yearsofbuffing.jpg

My son-law painted the car with PPG best, 6 coats of clear, many sanded off. It has been wet sanded to 3000 grit, Menzerna power polish, Meguiars 105/205, Menzerna Finishing Glaze. Now what after paint cures out?

Zaino Z2 Pro is a very unique paint sealant that creates a very nice, high gloss, high shine finish that beads water like a son-of-a-gun and lasts a long time.

The description of your paint sanding and polishing process sounds spot-on for a show car finish and without any wax or sealing product it should already have a deep, wet shine.

I'm a veteran of the Zaino vs NXT wars that raged on forums from 2004 to about 2006, and many Zaino users are very loyal to the Z2 product and how it applies and wipes off.

There area a lot of great products on the market that will give you that show car look you're looking for but the application and wipe-off is going to be very different than the Z2 product.

Are you really happy with the Z2 application and removal process?

I'll show to cars we've buffed our recently that now have paint that looks wet... but both of these used very different products than the Z2 paint sealant...

1954 Ford F-100 - Modeled by Janna

LSP = Pinnacle Signature Series II

54Ford148m.jpg

54Ford105.jpg

54Ford108.jpg

54Ford109.jpg

54Ford111.jpg

54Ford128.jpg

54Ford59.jpg

54Ford58.jpg

1972 Corvette Stingray - Extreme Makeover - Process and Products Used

LSP = Prima Banana Gloss Liquid Wax Dodo Juice Banana Armour Hard Car Wax 250 ml

1972Corvette023.jpg

1972Corvette024.jpg

1972Corvette025.jpg

1972Corvette026.jpg

1972Corvette027.jpg

1972Corvette028.jpg

1972Corvette029.jpg

1972Corvette030.jpg

1972Corvette031.jpg

1972Corvette032.jpg

1972Corvette033.jpg

1972Corvette034.jpg

1972Corvette035.jpg

1972Corvette036.jpg

We topped the Prima Banana Gloss with Dodo Juice Banana Armor...

Nicole04_jpg.JPG

Flex is known for their high quality power tools, here's Nicole using the Flex 3401...

Nicole06_jpg.JPG

1972Corvette038.jpg

After machine polishing here are the two waxes we used, to be honest you really only need one of them and you'll get the same great results but they are very different in their application and removal than Zaino Z2

Next we machine applied Prima Banana Gloss using Flex 3401 DA Polishers with Griot's Garage Waxing Pads
1972Corvette016.jpg

We topped the Prima Banana with Dodo Juice Banana Armor using LC Gold 5.5" Jeweling pads on both a Meguiar's G110v2 and a Porter Cable 7424XP
1972Corvette017.jpg

The Banana Armor is a hard wax that you apply and then allow to dry to a light haze before removing. The Pinnacle Signature Series II is a soft wax that you wipe on and then immediately wipe off, no need to let it dry.

Since you've done the right prep work to the paint either of these is going to maximize gloss, depth and shine.

:)

Mike thanks for the write up. I will study it, and me and my old makita and wool pads have burnt through a few single coat paint jobs in the day.

I am trying to get as high shine as possible. Maybe the Zanio is what I should stay with. The vette is a 1.5" wider than a zr1. The thing in the back ground is on route 66 called pops. It is a giant soda bottle that has neon lights that they can program all different ways. It is a restaurant that has every known soda. Cool place, it is interesting that it is a route 66 tourist attraction that is modern, recently built. POPS: Home

pops.jpg

I have used Zanio for years, but I am willing to see if something is better. The project is my Yellow Vette. I am finishing a long custom project and want to get the best look.

Honestly, the best way to tell would be for me to drive it. Then I can say with 100% confidence after about 20 to 500 miles what will work the best. It's a little out of the ordinary, I know...

...but trust me. :D

Hey, thanks for that POPS link and explanation. If you like the Zaino, stick with it, as Mike alluded to, it does bead like no other...

It may help in suggesting new products if you tell what about Z2 you feel can be improved on or is lacking...

In trying to come up with these items you have a hard time, that may mean that you should stick with Z2.

It may help in suggesting new products if you tell what about Z2 you feel can be improved on or is lacking...

In trying to come up with these items you have a hard time, that may mean that you should stick with Z2.

It is not that I am not happy with Zanio just making sure it is the best for the deep shine. I have always tried to keep an open mind to try something. Zanio does give me the deep look I like and I find it easy to use, less is more. Use z2 and accelerator. :buffing:

It is not that I am not happy with Zanio just making sure it is the best for the deep shine. I have always tried to keep an open mind to try something. Zanio does give me the deep look I like and I find it easy to use, less is more. Use z2 and accelerator. :buffing:

Gotcha, so you really are happy with Z2 but just looking for the holy grail - understandable.

Since you are happy with Zaino and the look it gives, I would suggest trying something totally different (not a pure sealant) like a hybrid such as Fuzion... that will give you a different look that may interest you instead of just trying another sealant that you will be comparing to a product you are satisfied with (Z2)..

Hope that makes sense...

Jason

Honestly, the best way to tell would be for me to drive it. Then I can say with 100% confidence after about 20 to 500 miles what will work the best. It's a little out of the ordinary, I know...

...but trust me. :D

That's funny... I should have thought of that answer...

Here's my new pat answer to which wax to use when the poster has a cool car...

Hmmm... well I'll need to drive the car for a week or two in order to really get in touch with the inner car and its wants and needs...

:D

I am trying to get as high shine as possible. Maybe the Zaino is what I should stay with.

Here's something I wrote for an article and was also an idea for a video called "The Wall of Waxes"

"Car waxes are to men like shoes are to women,
you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

In that train of thought... if you feel like living on the edge and experimenting a little, then try a show car wax like Pinnacle Souveran... all the guys and sometimes girls that come to our Thursday night classes and have the opportunity to apply and remove products like Souveran Paste Wax LOVE the experience...

Check out Nicole and her dad Tommy wiping Pinnacle Souveran off Tommy's sweet 1970 1/2 Camaro...

1970 1/2 Camaro - Show Car Finish by Pinnacle - Modeled by Amy

1970Camaro053.jpg

1970Camaro054.jpg

Now check out the results...

1970Camaro069.jpg

1970Camaro061.jpg

1970Camaro064.jpg

1970Camaro065.jpg

Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax

:xyxthumbs:

There are certainly others here that can speak to the products that compete with Zaino better than I.

That said, I used Zaino for a long, long time (decades not mere years) and was one of their most ardent supporters. That is until I saw Souveran on my Vette (see Avatar -- that's an '07 Monterey Red Met.).

Personally, I used Z-5 as opposed to Z-2 because I felt that Z-5 looked better on darker paint whereas Z-2 looked better on lighter colors. I agree with others that have pointed out that there are few products that can compete with Zaino in terms of durability. Based on how your Vette looks (awesome btw) I suspect you wash/wax(or sealant) your car often enough that durability is not an issue. One of the things I get a laugh out of is when people talk about the durability of a wax/sealant and they are the types that wash/wax(seal) their cars almost daily. Kind of makes the durability issue moot :laughing:.

Souveran, and 'nubas in general have a warmer shine to them at least in my opinion and the colors seem more true to me with 'nubas vs. Z-5 or Z-2.

Zaino and NXT are both excellent products and when used correctly one can get amazing results (see Wolfdogs black C6 on the Corvette Forum as the poster child for a Zaino-holic), so you have to ask yourself what specifically do I want. For me, I simply wanted to try other products for myself rather than taking other people's word. I'm glad I did.

Good Luck on your search and post up pictures with whatever product you end up with.

As always this is a great site to get ideas. Thanks to all. Thought you might like this, I gave my car a few "tramp stamp".:laughing: Normaly under the rear hatch is nor painted, so as with the rest of the car I wanted to do something different. I will post more pics when all done with the new coat of wax, still not decide but you all have given me many great choices. Since the car is in a rebirth stage, I want to try something different as stated earlier looking for the Holy Grail of shine. Been working on the project sense March when it got ran into. My son in-law and I are doing all the work.

d3-2.jpg

sten1.jpg

d2-1.jpg

If you like Zaino a nice jump is Blackfire Wet Diamond which is a sealant. Application and removal is super easy leaving a nice look-better than Zaino in my opinion. Durability isn't quite as good, but it's no slouch.

For sealants I prefer this over Wolfgang.

Back