No rinse and buffer question

aaron427

Reaction score
So this year I am thinking of trying out a no rinse system this year instead of freezing. I have never tried before. Is it safe? Brand preference? What all will I need?

While I am asking that question I figured I would ask another. I currently am using a Porter Cable and have used it for years. I am wanting to buy a new one so I have two around for when my friend helps. Also because this one is getting old and I want something new! :) Buy the PC again? Or do you guys like something else? Thanks for any input you can provide.

I just started rinseless and waterless last week. I love both methods. They are safe if you are careful and use good technique.

ONR is awesome for rinseless.Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 128 oz. I highly recommend Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge. It releases a ton of soil when srubbed on a grit guard. I have tried the bone, the schmitt, MF towel, MF mitt and none work as good. I use two buckets with about 3 gallons in each bucket with a grit guard. One for ONR and other for water to rinse LC sponge. Make sure you clean the sponge often during washing. This is a good starter kit and priced fair ONR Two Bucket Wash System

I use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate for waterless. I only use when slightly dirty. Use with a soft MF towel and turn often for a clean side.

Both ONR and UWWP are forum favorites. UWWP is also a great Quick Detailer.

Griot's Garage has more power and lifetime warranty. Porter Cable is good as well.

Flex 3401 would be a big upgrade in power. It is a forced dual action polisher. Kind of like a hybrid of a dual action and a rotary polisher.

Make sure you watch the videos for more information. There is information on polishers, two bucket wash method, rinseless and waterless washing.Autogeek As Seen On TV

I actually like DP Rinseless better than ONR. Seems to have more lubricity.

As for the machine, I agree, get the Griots. Lots of power, lifetime warranty, and a superior handle. Not the the PC is bad... It just isnt as good.

Great information. Thanks. I have watched the video about the different buffers but they basically just tell you about them. I know they are similar but I am sure everyone has their own preference. I actually have one of the first PC so it is pretty old. At times I feel like it doesn't have the power it use to have. I do like that it is easy to use even for beginners. I don't do a ton of detailing. Basically I have about 20 cars that I do on the side over the course of a year.

I just started rinseless and waterless last week. I love both methods. They are safe if you are careful and use good technique.

ONR is awesome for rinseless.Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 128 oz. I highly recommend Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge. It releases a ton of soil when srubbed on a grit guard. I have tried the bone, the schmitt, MF towel, MF mitt and none work as good. I use two buckets with about 3 gallons in each bucket with a grit guard. One for ONR and other for water to rinse LC sponge. Make sure you clean the sponge often during washing. This is a good starter kit and priced fair ONR Two Bucket Wash System

I use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate for waterless. I only use when slightly dirty. Use with a soft MF towel and turn often for a clean side.

Both ONR and UWWP are forum favorites. UWWP is also a great Quick Detailer.

Griot's Garage has more power and lifetime warranty. Porter Cable is good as well.

Flex 3401 would be a big upgrade in power. It is a forced dual action polisher. Kind of like a hybrid of a dual action and a rotary polisher.

Make sure you watch the videos for more information. There is information on polishers, two bucket wash method, rinseless and waterless washing.Autogeek As Seen On TV

That's the stuff I wanted to hear about the buffer. If you are getting ready to polish is it a bad thing to have more of that lubricity? Wasn't sure if left a film on the paint that wouldn't mix well with the polish, wax, etc..

I actually like DP Rinseless better than ONR. Seems to have more lubricity.

As for the machine, I agree, get the Griots. Lots of power, lifetime warranty, and a superior handle. Not the the PC is bad... It just isnt as good.

The lubricity of the wash should not be a problem when polishing. Especially if the car has been dried properly first.

That's the stuff I wanted to hear about the buffer. If you are getting ready to polish is it a bad thing to have more of that lubricity? Wasn't sure if left a film on the paint that wouldn't mix well with the polish, wax, etc..
You can polish right over them no problem.

Great! Thank you for the input. I have a couple of pad questions also. Would I do that under this section? Or is there a better section for those questions?

Curious how many uses typically you get from a pad? How many pads you use on a car? I feel like my pad gets saturated fast and it seems the pad doesn't work/feel so great after I use on a car, then wash the pad. Suggestions, advice? Hard to find good information on product/pad use after that first panel. You know?

Curious how many uses typically you get from a pad? How many pads you use on a car? I feel like my pad gets saturated fast and it seems the pad doesn't work/feel so great after I use on a car, then wash the pad. Suggestions, advice? Hard to find good information on product/pad use after that first panel. You know?

You can get lots of uses from a pad. Just need to clean, dry and reuse. 2-3 pads on a car is typical. Make sure you aren't using too much product.

A pad conditioner and a good cleaner will help, XMT Pad Care Combo

how do you clean your pads after you use them? And during the process are you cleaning on the fly after every 1-2 panels?

That is what I was looking for. What is the best way to clean the pad after a section pass? I don't typically do it after each section pass.

I usually clean the pad on the fly after 2 panels maybe? I turn the polisher on while pushing on a terry cloth towel. After I am finished with the pad I usually wash them off in the sink, and then throw them in the washer. I don't usually wash anything else with them.

how do you clean your pads after you use them? And during the process are you cleaning on the fly after every 1-2 panels?

I usually clean the pad on the fly after 2 panels maybe? I turn the polisher on while pushing on a terry cloth towel. After I am finished with the pad I usually wash them off in the sink, and then throw them in the washer. I don't usually wash anything else with them.
Your cleaning on the fly technique sounds fine. As for your washing technique.. Try just hand washing them. I have had bad results with the washer and pads. What I do is pre treat my pads with APC when I am done with them. Then I rinse them off, and just work in more APC and hot water until they are clean. I then air dry them.

Back