Really don't like the ShMitt

punkey71

Reaction score
I am born again! ShMitt Lover I Am!!!!

Hey guys/gals,

Long time lurker/very little poster.

First and foremost, I've learned a TON from this forum. I love 99.9% of the products I've read about/used.

Is it me or does the ShMitt seem to "grab" the paint? It wasn't smooth at all...felt like I was actually dragging it across my paint. I've used sheepskin with my current wash (Meg's GC) and never noticed this much "stickiness" when washing.

I bought the Wash ShMitt and Wheel ShMitt package...I LOVE the wheel ShMitt along with lots of other products I've read about hear (DP Clay, wash, gel wheel cleaner, interior surface protectant, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, misc brushes, mitts...

I feel really out of order bringing this up because I've been so satisfied with everything I've bought here...but the wash ShMitt just didn't do it for me...actually, I'm rather upset at it's performance. For the price, I could have gotten a couple sheepskins...

Sorry to vent and any insight greatly appreciated...am I alone in this opinion??
Harold

Last edited:
Everyone can have their own opinions. Shmitt isn't a magical product that EVERYONE will like. Impossible to have something like that!! I agree the wheel shmitt is awesome! Maybe you might want to give the shmitt one more chance, but with a different soap. GC is okay for OTC, but doesn't offer the same lubricants as boutique products.

punkey71 said:
Hey guys/gals,

First and foremost, I've learned a TON from this forum. I love 99.9% of the products I've read about/used.

Is it me or does the ShMitt seem to "grab" the paint? It wasn't smooth at all...felt like I was actually dragging it across my paint. I've used sheepskin with my current wash (Meg's GC) and never noticed this much "stickiness" when washing.

I bought the Wash ShMitt and Wheel ShMitt package...I LOVE the wheel ShMitt along with lots of other products I've read about hear (DP Clay, wash, gel wheel cleaner, interior surface protectant, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, misc brushes, mitts...

I feel really out of order bringing this up because I've been so satisfied with everything I've bought here...but the wash ShMitt just didn't do it for me...actually, I'm rather upset at it's performance. For the price, I could have gotten a couple sheepskins...

Sorry to vent and any insight greatly appreciated...am I alone in this opinion??
Harold

You might not be using enough wash. Depending on which brand you use, the lubrication might not be as good. Also the foam does feel different, it is the safest mit to use on a car.

I have a couple soaps and love my Shmitt, my sheepskins and chenilles sit unused now. Gold Class is "ok", Duragloss 901, Poorboys SSS, and DP Extreme are all much slicker and foamier. Shmitt always moved slicky across the paint for me.

I used the Shmitt and Gold Class on my wifes Yukon and it works just fine!:)

This is forum is here to give/receive feedback on products and address problems with them. So, you shouldn't feel bad about voicing your opinion.

I totally agree with what everyone else is saying. GC is OK, but other soaps offer better lubricity. How much soap vs. how much water do you put in your wash bucket? Maybe you are not putting in enough soap. Also, switching from sheepskin to foam takes a little getting used to. The foam has a different feel although I wouldn't call it grabby.

The important thing is not the feel but that after you finish washing that there is no marring from the wash process.

I have experience the same thing, although it does not bother me that much. Try squeezing the ShMitt out on the wash surface, this creates lots of foam\liquid and allows it to glide across with out the gabbing. I use GC also got tons of it from Costco for next to nothing, and do not think soap is the issue. I recently bought some PB’s SSS it does not stop the "grab" you are describing IMO.

I have not experienced my ShMitt grabbing on the paint at all.

MikeyC said:
This is forum is here to give/receive feedback on products and address problems with them. So, you shouldn't feel bad about voicing your opinion.

:iagree: You shouldn't feel bad about expressing your self my friend, besides one product can not satisfy the entire world, if you know what I mean.

As for the ShMITT, I too use Gold Class and I haven't experienced much problem with it. I always put enough soap in the bucket though, I make sure of that. I have also used Pinnacle Body Work Shampoo and this stuff has lots of suds, feels soft as well. I'm going to try other products but for the moment I'm quite pleased with what I have.

I'd say give it a try a gain and see, what some of these Geek's are saying could be true too. You might need some getting used to the ShMITT.

Keep us posted.

I just got the Schmitt (wash and wheel) about a week ago and used it for the first time a few days ago. Had no problem with grabbing the paint. I used Megs GC as well. I always use a fair amount of GC, about 3 to 4 ounces to three gallons water. Actually, I really liked it! Especially the yellow side to quickly clear road gunk from the rocker panels and stuff. The soft foam caught a bit on a couple edges under the nose, but all told, very pleased.
Perhaps try using a higher ratio on the Megs GC?

Tam

try using warm water as well, it makes the shmitt much softer, and maybe use more soap in your bucket.

Have you clayed lately???If not paint could have plenty of contanimants making the surface grabby.

I have not had any grabbing either. Weird! Well, it is all good - you know, to each his own. Sorry it did not work for you!
Lauren - you could probably sell it to another forum member.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give it another try with my DP wash. I clayed about a year ago, so it is due...but it's super slick with the sheepskin. Maybe I just have to get used to the feel....

Thanks,
Harold

punkey71 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give it another try with my DP wash. I clayed about a year ago, so it is due...but it's super slick with the sheepskin. Maybe I just have to get used to the feel....

Thanks,
Harold

When is the last time you polished and waxed? The wax could be gone by now, which definitely would make the surface more grabby.

I have one but have not had the chance to use it yet :(

I felt similarly with the Shmitt that I used for the first time Saturday. But I'm going to hold off on that opinion for now because our cars were caked in salt and I used ONR which doesn't seem to be as slick as regular soap. Plus I'm on nearly five months with my 845 wax, so it might be on it's last legs.

Last edited:
Another thing to think about is the water you're using. Do you have really hard water? We have really hard water where I'm at, but I use water straight from our whole-house water softener. It really helps!

Last edited:
punkey71 said:
Hey guys/gals,

Harold

Hello Harold,
Your experience is very unusual. Most have the opposite experience. The only way I can see the ShMiTT grabbing is when the foam is dry. My suggestion is try a different soap with more suds or lubricity, or more soap in the bucket in general. The ideas to wax the car, and clay are probably both good thoughts but still should not cause the ShMiTT to be anything but smooth and gliding across the surface.

Back