PDA

View Full Version : black brake dust specs on rims

Pages : [1] 2

TjMonsen5
02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
hello everyone,
I have detailed a few cars, that have absolutly disgustingly dirty rims. Most of these rims have a yellow color and lots of little specs of brake dust bonded to them. I cannot remove them. I have tried Eagle One, Automagic MAGnificent wheel cleaner, and acid wheel cleaner i can get from the dealer. I hate leaving rims looking like this. How do you guys get rims looking brand new again?

ScottB
02-26-2007, 11:29 AM
painted rims should be treated just as paint. Wash -- clay --- polish --- protect. Switching to ceramic brake pads is also a choice.

mcfive0
02-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I've heard that Wheel Wax will take care of that real nice. Has anyone tried that product?

Grimm
02-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Use clay. I've used it on painted rims and it works great. It will take some elbow grease and maybe some help from a wheel cleaner to get the really embedded stuff.

mcfive0
02-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Most, if not all of the responses here have been to use clay. I don't have a problem doing that on my rims. But, now there is another question.....What is Wheel Wax for and is it any good like the ads say? I was considering on buying some but now I don't know...Feed back please

ScottB
02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
I've heard that Wheel Wax will take care of that real nice. Has anyone tried that product?

Dp Wheel Sealant or Poorboys offering over Wheel Wax ... the later wears off quite quickly.

Whitethunder46
02-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Dp Wheel Sealant or Poorboys offering over Wheel Wax ... the later wears off quite quickly.

I've heard the same on this.

Mcfive0... from my understanding it's basically just a wheel wax/sealant. It helps protect the wheelse from future contaminants and such, making furture cleaning very easy, almost just wipe off dirt easy. As far as the cleaning ability of it, many have said they still get some dirt lifted out when applying the wheel wax. For me, a good wheel cleaner with elblow grease should do the best. DP's wheel sealant seems to be the more popular choice on here.

As far as me, I just like to use DG's AW instead. Still leaves a layer of protection, easier/quicker to use, and adds a very nice shine.

TjMonsen5
03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Here is what the rims on my own car look like. The previous owner did not take good enough care of them :mad: i have tried clay, Eagle One wheel cleaner, using a scotchbrite pad, and a toothpick lol, nothing works. I NEED to remove these ugly specs from my rims,,, how?
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7854/1002187lf2.th.jpg (http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1002187lf2.jpg)

ScottB
03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
those rims are painted and will work well with Poorboys Spray/Rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsrwc32.html). Trust me, this is a bad azz product and will clean and remove neglect easily. If it does not go, then it is likely rust from where the clearcoat was etched, and over time the oxidation got to the steel wheel below.

First, follow the directions exactly. Wheels must be cool, wheels must be wet first. You will spray liberally (including the barrel area) and allow to sit for two minutes. Spray off with water for several minutes. You will NOT need to touch them, and might need a second spray. When done, coat with a sealant or Klasse AIO and never a problem should arrise again. You will likely only use this cleaner monthly, as very strong and super find !!

TjMonsen5
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
wow! so poorboys spray and rinse works that good? I will have to buy some of this stuff with my next gigantic order. Im planning on building a whole kit to start a detailing business. I will remove my wheels from the car and clean the inside of the rims too! i cant wait! would it be bad to scrub the rims with this cleaner? It sounds very powerful and i wouldnt want to smudge my paint or have anything bad happen.

supercharged
03-03-2007, 03:01 AM
wow! so poorboys spray and rinse works that good? I will have to buy some of this stuff with my next gigantic order. Im planning on building a whole kit to start a detailing business. I will remove my wheels from the car and clean the inside of the rims too! i cant wait! would it be bad to scrub the rims with this cleaner? It sounds very powerful and i wouldnt want to smudge my paint or have anything bad happen.
Use the least aggressive wheel cleaner first. I personally like P21S gel on my car. If that doesn't take care of the problem - switch to a stronger wheel cleaner like Poorboy's.
I personally never used Poorboy's wheel cleaner, Wolfgang was stron enough for me.

ScottB
03-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Poorboys is citric acid based, and very safe when used properly and on the correct wheels. Most store bought wheel cleaners use hydrocloric acid or lye, these can damage wheels almost immediately.

Reddwarf
03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
PB Wheel Cleaner is awesome! Very strong. I used it many times and it is amazing spray on and rinse off. That being said, I have some spots on my rims that are badly etched black and I've not been succesful at getting them clean. I think it is permanate damage (previous owner!). I plan to get the rims refinished when I get new tires later this year.

DP Wheel Glaze is good stuff for protecting the whels and making them easier to clean. However, I find it very time consuming to apply, so I question if in the long run it is really helpful. From a time saving standpoint.

Nuke33
03-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Id use clay :)

Liane
03-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Have been using Wheel Wax for 2 months. I was surprised at how well it works. It really does keep the brake dust off of the rims. I am in New England and the winter is tough. Nice product. Liane