Best idea for applying exterior dressings

davidc

Reaction score
It was quite a while ago a member here stated he used a hlvp gun to apply dressings and I thought at the time that sounded like a good idea. So today I look at Harbor Freights site and they have a 4oz. gun for $13.00. I picked it up, went home and put about 3oz. of 303 in the cup and adjusted the gun. I managed to do all 4 truck tires and wheel wells with that amount. After spraying everything I went back with a terry cloth and wiped everything down. The coverage was great and my truck tires have always been a pain with the side wall ribs and knobs where the side wall meets the tread. I cannot remember which post or member suggested this but I would like to thank him for a great idea. It's great not sitting there with the tire sponge applicator trying to get to all the nooks and crannies with the dressing.

Dave

I saw someone use the Optimum gun and post a video.

I like the idea but I think it's a pain to pull everything out for that. I saw an aerosol can at Harbor Freight that you could fill with the liquid of your choice and I thought it would be a great alternative

The Optimum gun is $50.00. Grossly over priced and doesn't have a cup. Dragging it out isn't a problem for me it's a 3/8 air hose, the rest is comparable to a spray bottle (fill it up, start squirting, move it around with tire sponge, wipe off excess).

Dave

I saw someone use the Optimum gun and post a video.

I like the idea but I think it's a pain to pull everything out for that. I saw an aerosol can at Harbor Freight that you could fill with the liquid of your choice and I thought it would be a great alternative

I think that was Jimmiejam that did the video of the optimum gun.

My air compressor runs all day so its no biggie for me and I've been playing around with my spray guns also just haven't dialed it in yet.

Tried this with 303 and the sprayer that came with my HD Husky compressor. It sprays too much volume for tires to not require wiping down the wheels and surrounding area. It is okay for wells and undercarriages. I was looking a HF mini HVLP gun to try this with. Or even an air brush kit so I can use it for coatings and painting also. For now I think a fine atomized mist out of a spray bottles is as effective and efficient as the paint sprayer I have.

I may have to swing by HF tomorrow to check this gadget out...

I think that was Jimmiejam that did the video of the optimum gun.

You're right Tim, it was Jimmy.

I agree that the Optimum gun is very overpriced for what it is and especially when compared to paint spray guns which as much more complex and equally priced...

Here's the crazy thing I tried and it works great but I only have 3 cars so I don't have high volume work.

Anyways, I bought one of those Stainless-Steel Spray Pump Non-Aerosol Misters, its the kind you use for OLIVE OIL....it really works. It produces a fine and controlled mist of tire dressing. I bought a 2 pack of the Misters for $15.00 at Costco. I used it for my Meguiars Hyper Dressing.

Crazy but true!

Tried this with 303 and the sprayer that came with my HD Husky compressor. It sprays too much volume for tires to not require wiping down the wheels and surrounding area. It is okay for wells and undercarriages. I was looking a HF mini HVLP gun to try this with. Or even an air brush kit so I can use it for coatings and painting also. For now I think a fine atomized mist out of a spray bottles is as effective and efficient as the paint sprayer I have.

The one I bought was the mini touch up 4oz. Adjusted the air regulator on my line to 20 psi. This is not a spray and walk away as it required a wipe off with 303 but not the aggravation of the tire sponge.
Adjustable Detail Spray Gun

Dave

Might have to run to HF ASAP. I think I looked at that one before, or one very similar. Then when I got my compressor I thought the sprayer that came with it might work just as well. Not so much. Can't really beat the price @ $12.99.
Think I will mess with the mix for OptiBond to see if it will work better than 303 in my sprayer. Either way I think the mini HVLP is a must.
Thanks Dave :)

Back