PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Sealants Prior to Polishing

ski2
01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
If you're going to wash then clay a vehicle is it necessary to strip the existing sealants chemically before beginning to polish?? If so, what is recommended and at what dilution ratio?? Thanks!

mwtaco
01-02-2012, 06:07 PM
wash clay polish wax

the polish itself should strip and prep the paint for your wax/lsp.

now if you are just interested in swapping lsp without polishing or correction, i believe that would be when you would use a chemical stripper like griots paint prep.

im sure others will confirm and provide additional guidance.

BobbyG
01-02-2012, 06:09 PM
A thorough washing is always a good idea before before claying and polishing. Mix up your regular washing solution and add about 1/2 of all purpose cleaner. This will remove most sealants and waxes.

Personally speaking, a dedicated stripping step isn't really needed as washing then claying will remove most of what's left.

Because polishing is abrasive, it will remove anything missed but the clay step.

ski2
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys!! BobbyG--where is Rehoboth, MA--lived in Nashu, NH for 38 years and never heard of Rehoboth, Ma--Delaware yes but not MA.

Didn't really want to do another step so maybe I'll just wash with a strong mix of CG Citrus Clear just for good measure before I clay.