PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a WDGPS applicator

andrew b
01-05-2012, 06:50 AM
How is everyone cleaning applicators used for WDGPS?

I'm using foam applicators, and it seems like when they get wet to be cleaned the sealant gets gummy in the middle of the pad (like, on the inside) and doesn't come out. I normally just hand-wash applicator pads the way I do pads for the DA, but that's not cutting it for WDGPS, I suspect I'm seeing what happens to the product if it's exposed to water too soon :)

Just toss them? Or will they get clean if I throw them in the washing machine?

BobbyG
01-05-2012, 06:54 AM
I'll spray mine with a degreaser then wash them in a mixture of citrus cleaner and dawn in hot water.

RoyalBlUE08
01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
i take a toothbrush and scrub it with dawn soap in warm water and keep wringing it

Flannigan
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Why not just put it in a plastic bag and reuse it? Thats what I do with my wax applicators and sealnt pads. No reason to wash after one use, not like you are cleaning dirt off a car with it.

tw33k2514
01-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Why not just put it in a plastic bag and reuse it? Thats what I do with my wax applicators and sealnt pads. No reason to wash after one use, not like you are cleaning dirt off a car with it.

+1

I gave up trying to clean my LSP pads/applicators a long time ago.

SonOfOC
01-05-2012, 03:20 PM
+2

Sealants are super stubborn to clean. I APC it just to get out what I can, but still dedicate and label that pad/applicator for WGPS.

+1

I gave up trying to clean my LSP pads/applicators a long time ago.

opie_7afe
01-05-2012, 05:23 PM
try an overnight soak in a small 1 gallon bucket with some dawn and some all purpose cleaner, i found sealants are easier to clean from a pad once the sealant has dried up some.

andrew b
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Some good ideas in here - thanks guys!

BillyJack
01-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I clean all my pads, both hand and machine, by hand. I've never used WGDGPS but I've had a similar situation with 845. Soaking in Dawn or APC just turned the residue in the pad to a slimy mess. What I now use is one of the OXY-Cleaners at presoak strength. A few hour soak in a bucket followed by a thorough rinse works well for me. As I stated, I don't know if it will work on WGDGPS, but give it a try before you start throwing pads away.

Bill

Blk5.0
01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
This is not about Wolfgang sealent but bfwd I use a pad for it and do my best to clean it but once it's dried and I use it again sometimes I get white powdered flakes from the old bfwd is this common or do u need a new pad?

rider9195
01-05-2012, 07:06 PM
This is not about Wolfgang sealent but bfwd I use a pad for it and do my best to clean it but once it's dried and I use it again sometimes I get white powdered flakes from the old bfwd is this common or do u need a new pad?

That flaking happens to me as well at times. I will clean the pad lightly before apply sealant with it to get all the flakes out. Or blowing them off with compressed air will help.

Rsurfer
01-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Why not just put it in a plastic bag and reuse it? Thats what I do with my wax applicators and sealnt pads. No reason to wash after one use, not like you are cleaning dirt off a car with it.True, but at some time it will mildew in a plastic bag.

timaishu
01-06-2012, 12:58 AM
True, but at some time it will mildew in a plastic bag.

I had that happen to my red applicator that came with my autoglym hd. I used one and put it back in the bag and half of it was mold when I went to use it again.

For some reason though, the other one, which is pre-moistened(is that even a word?) didnt mold even though the bags seal was broken.

algeek
03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
I tried detergent and hot water but neither worked. Finally I found a way that worked for me at least.

1. Soak the pad in hot water right after use.
2. Take it out and wrapp it with one or two pieces of good paper towel. (Not the kind you find in bathrooms.)
3. Twist and squeez it as hard as possible.
4. Excess WDGPS will be absorbed by the paper towels.
5. Repeat the process if necessary.

Hope this help!

Marc08EX
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Immediately after using the pad/applicator, I squeeze the heck out of it to make the product seep out of the foam. I do this until I don't see any more product seeping out. I then spray the pad with APC or a pad cleaner and try to clean the pad by squeezing it with my thumb. I rinse it with water and let it air dry. Works for me but the stains can't be removed completely. I now store and label each pad separately corresponding to each sealant that I use them with.