PDA

View Full Version : SOPA - Future of the internet

Pages : [1] 2

Cjredmo
01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
SOPA - Stop Online Piracy Act, although it may sound like it will only appy to websites like The Pirate Bay or any other torrent sites, but it could potentially shut down Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Craigslist, basically any website that someone has posted copyrighted materials to, which means this forum could be threatend. Here is a video to better explain - Reddit Co-Founder Alexis Ohanian On SOPA: "Congress Is Going To Ob liberate An Entire Tech Industry" (http://www.businessinsider.com/alexis-ohanian-sopa-2012-1)

silverfox
01-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Hollywood and film companies write huge checks to our corrupt congress to push this forward. They care nothing of anybody else. I suggest google and the others write bigger checks.

mbkite
01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
The new world order...

C. Charles Hahn
01-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Here we are closing in on 30 years later, and it's almost 1984.

BobbyG
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Here we are closing in on 30 years later, and it's almost 1984.

Maybe some should re-read George Orwell's 1984

1984 by George Orwell. Search eText, Read Online, Study, Discuss. (http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/)

weavers
01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't want to lose my torrents. I love them. It has replaced TV.

richy
01-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Congress can try all they want to build a better mouse trap....but the mice are too smart for them. There's always a way around something if you want it badly enough.

C. Charles Hahn
01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Maybe some should re-read George Orwell's 1984

1984 by George Orwell. Search eText, Read Online, Study, Discuss. (http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/)

:props:

Flannigan
01-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Without commenting on SOPA itself, am I in the minority if I still pay for movies and music? Call me a nerd or whatever, but I feel like I should pay musicians and actors for their work...

CEE DOG
01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Bill was educating me on this bill... Scary stuff. They cloak it in things that sound good... But it's a way for them to control the only form of mass free speech. Guess what America... Freedom of speech is about to end. Welcome to the united states of China and the end of our republic.
United states government = hypocrites.... And it truly saddens me to say that but I better say it now.... It won't be long before I won't be aloud...

C. Charles Hahn
01-14-2012, 07:27 PM
United states government = hypocrites.

Just remember, we're the idiots who elected them to office. :doh:

Ultimately I think we'll see another Civil War before an elimination of free speech actually happens.

opie_7afe
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Without commenting on SOPA itself, am I in the minority if I still pay for movies and music? Call me a nerd or whatever, but I feel like I should pay musicians and actors for their work...
most artists dont make most of their money from CD sales they make money from touring and other means, cd's just benefit big company not the artists. they make like pennies on a cd...ill still download music and movies.i have only bought 1 cd and 1 dvd in the past like 10 years.

Flannigan
01-14-2012, 07:37 PM
most artists dont make most of their money from CD sales they make money from touring and other means, cd's just benefit big company not the artists. they make like pennies on a cd...ill still download music and movies.i have only bought 1 cd and 1 dvd in the past like 10 years.
So you steal them? Not sure how that is ok in your mind, but whatever...

Cjredmo
01-15-2012, 12:06 AM
I buy my music and movies as well, but that is not what this bill is threatening. Say I posted some copyrighted material on these forums and someone turned me in, not only would I go to jail as a federal criminal, this website would be shut down and fined. That is why websites like Facebook, twitter, youtube and all these other user generated websites are threatened by this bill. The actual piracy itself is a small fraction of this bill, people are comparing this to China's great firewall.

Setec Astronomy
01-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Congress can try all they want to build a better mouse trap....but the mice are too smart for them. There's always a way around something if you want it badly enough.

Spoken like a true Canadian and LEO...LOL