DIY MetroBlaster Style Blower for under $20---

ski2

Reaction score
---plus the cost of a leaf blower of course.

Been using a leaf blower for years to dry the car, but never really happy with the results. Because the leaf blower is hard to control I've always kept it away from the car so never able to blow water from tight spots for fear of scratching the paint if the end of the blower hit the paint.

Since I only do my own cars wasn’t about to spend the funds for a Metro Blaster so decided to try to make my own. Parts needed:
Leaf Blower
2” to 1” ABS Reducer - Home Depot plumbing department. $1.69
1 ¼” X 6’ Wet/Dry Vac hose kit, including 2 1/2” Hose to Hose connector -Sears $14.99
Rubber bands, small screws, Silicon seal.

picture.php
picture.php

ABS reducer wasn’t quite large enough so had to add the rubber bands as a gasket. Attached the 2 ½” Hose to Hose connector to the reducer with 3 small sheet metal screws and put a bead of silicon between it and the reducer to stop any air escaping
at the joint.
I was lucky in that my blower had a round discharge so it wasn’t too difficult to make the adapter, but with a little thought the same basic technique could be used with any leaf blower you just need to find or fabricate something to attach the blower outlet to one end of the Hose to Hose connector.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

For now I'm using a 1 1/4" crevice tool on the end until I can find an air concentrator to fit the 1 1/4" hose. Much better control when blow drying the car--allows me to get up close to those cracks and crannies where water hides without fear of scratching the paint.

your going to need a set of wheels like the Master Blaster to roll it around while using it !

Very cool, any idea what the total cost would be including the cheapest reliable leaf blower?

I recently bought a 20.00 shopvac that goes on top of a 5 gallon bucket. It has a blower feature but it wouldn't be anywhere near as portable.

I'll try to get some video next time I'm able to wash the car. It does work well though--never had a Metro so can't compare, but works better than when it was a "leaf blower" as now I can get closer to the paint.

Very cool, any idea what the total cost would be including the cheapest reliable leaf blower?

I recently bought a 20.00 shopvac that goes on top of a 5 gallon bucket. It has a blower feature but it wouldn't be anywhere near as portable.

I know Lowe's carries a Troybuilt corded leaf blower for around $35 that has a round air outlet which will make it the easiest to find a conversion piece. I can't speak to the Troybuilt's reliability.

After you do a full review I just might have to give this a go

sent via telepathy

similiar concept to that of the Airwand, great idea if it works...

I was lucky in that my blower had a round discharge so it wasn’t too difficult to make the adapter, but with a little thought the same basic technique could be used with any leaf blower you just need to find or fabricate something to attach the blower outlet to one end of the Hose to Hose connector.

unfortunately, most leaf blowers these days have oval openings (instead of rounded) so some fabricating is in order...

Very clever! Looking forward to seeing how it works. I'm sure it's not going to have the power that a metro will have but either way. If it gets the job done who cares right?!

Back