New Paint how long before waxing

robert1955

Reaction score
Michael:

My wife just had the hood front bumper and trunk resprayed by a body shop on her Mercedes-Benz 300-E Sportline They told me it had to be water base with a clear coat. our orginal paint is single stage 040 black. I asked the guys how long before I can wax it they just gave me a dump answer oh four years right! I am starting to see the swirls they covered up with hand glaze and I like to use a a machine swirl remover from the supplies I purchased from you with my Porter Cable DA or my new flex light weight polisher and CCS pads. I purchased different sizes with different backing plates I did not go to 7 inch pads too hard to handle. I have the Wolf Gang line of Concours products. I think I maxed out my credit card when I ordered all this stuff. Know I need some one to tell me when I can do a section of the car at a time . I cannot do a hole three stage detail anymore because of medical problems , but I can do a trunk a couple of doors and seal them and then do the rest another time.

I love your book , I have two copies one is already bent and is a work book. I have to put you technique to practice.
Sincerely a fan of your work
Bob Geco

Best to wait 30 days to let the paint out-gas. I had a door and fender re-sprayed a few years back and the painter said that the paint was baked and I could wax right away. I did and never had a problem.

Recently had a crash fixed and even though the paint/clear was set with heat I was still told to wait 30 days to wax & 60 days to machine polish. Seems to be a pretty universal time frame. I don't agree with it, the polish part anyway, but I'll likely follow it.

When my girlfriend got her car repainted from an accident they said to wait 90 days. I feel like that was an overly long time but I took their advice because I figured they know more on the subject then I do. I would said 30 days would be fine

Back