What are you using to remove....

Newdetailer1

Reaction score
Whats the best stuff/methods to remove adhesives and dealership labels that they put on the back of the cars. How about removing vinyl pinstrips??

dental floss (folded over several times) removes most dealer badges without issue. Use 3M Wax/Adhesive Remover as needed on residue.

There's this stuff called "Goof Off', better than Goo-Gone:props:

Here are the steps I use...

How I remover dealership labes/stickers and adhesives -

- I use a heat lamp (even a hairdryer works) and heat the sticker and slowly peel the sticker from a corner and pull it at a 45degree angle. Then use some adhesive remover and spray on the surface and on to your towel and slowly remove the adhesive (most times the adhesive will roll into tiny little balls)

How I remove vinyl pinstrips -
Most of these are simply just a big sticker. Start from a corner and pull slowy at an angle (usually a 45degree works). If it goes under the spolier (new Camaros do) be sure to go nice and slow when trying to remove these - still pulling at a slight angle. Following removal I normal have to lightly buff (PO85R) the lines left behind by the sticker

Recommendations on a specific adhesive remover that is safe for all paints and stuff?? Thanks

Goof Off will work great to remove almost any type of adhesive and it's safe on clearcoat. I used it to remove duct tape adhesive that was baked on for months.

I've got a bottle of 3M adhesive remover and it isn't worth the bottle packaged in.

I am wondering though if 3M makes more than one kind of adhesive remover. I'll have to check the numbers on my new bottle...if I didn't throw it away.

tarminator! works awesome on any sticky and gooey stuff lol. even worked on some adhesive that not even a heat gun,nail polish remover with acetone, mineral spirits, alcohol would remove(no it was not paint) and tarminator removed it with ease! goof off is like water compared to tarminator imo.

+1 goof off

I really like Dodo Juice Supernatural Glue & Tar Remover

Clean up with clay

tarminator! works awesome on any sticky and gooey stuff lol. even worked on some adhesive that not even a heat gun,nail polish remover with acetone, mineral spirits, alcohol would remove(no it was not paint) and tarminator removed it with ease! goof off is like water compared to tarminator imo.
It never even occurred to me to try Tarminator for such a purpose.

Thanks!

I've got a bottle of 3M adhesive remover and it isn't worth the bottle packaged in.

I am wondering though if 3M makes more than one kind of adhesive remover. I'll have to check the numbers on my new bottle...if I didn't throw it away.

you're joking right? That's been my go-to product for a long time. It completely and effortlessly removes tar and any other adhesive residues.

It should say "general adhesive remover" on the bottle.

I gots two spray cans. One is 3M's General Purpose Adhesive Remover (#38983).
The other is 3M's Adhesive Remover (#03618).

Seems that the general purpose one works better in what few instances that I've had to use it.

Back