OTC Backing Plate??

Laura

Reaction score
I messed up and got some 3" pads instead of 4" in my order to finally begin to restore my car to her normal condition after the whole deer & body shop ordeal. I had this whole weekend planned out (vacation from work tomorrow even) to spend three whole days doing everything perfectly. But when I pulled my small pads out of that precious AG box today, my first thought was, "Self, those look really small. Maybe you should have measured that backing plate." Sure enough, my backing plate is 4". So, though I want to remain as loyal to AG as possible, I REALLY need a backing plate that will work with the pads I have. Is there anywhere I can drive to and pick one up? I've got all the typical car parts places here in town, NAPA, Autozone, etc. I have never looked anywhere for something like that. Thoughts?

Not sure about places.. but if you have a 4" backing plate, you want the pads to be LARGER than 4" to prevent marring cause by the plate rubbing against the paint when you are close to the edge of the pad.

are you using a pc or a rotary? big difference in the answers.

i have a small 2-7/8 (or maybe 2-3/4) 3M yellow backing plate for a PC. I can ship it to you for free but it wont get there this weekend since im in IL let me know

The only place I remember seeing Porter Cable products was at Home Depot. They have a small sander really similar to the PC7424 with compatible backing plates. Maybe give the home depot a call?

The only place I remember seeing Porter Cable products was at Home Depot. They have a small sander really similar to the PC7424 with compatible backing plates. Maybe give the home depot a call?

They have 6", but no 3". Great thought!! Thank you!! I think I might be stuck doing the small stuff by hand :cry:

Back