Looking for a decent light weight car cover

clawlan

Reaction score
I am sick and tired of coming out of work every day to see bird crap burning its way through my precious black paint. I have decided to just put a cover on the car while at work. I had one years ago for my fox body for winter storage. Thing was like canvas, and a real pain in the ass. Anyone have suggestions for a decent, preferably light weight, easy to slip on and off car cover that wont mar the paint either?

Make sure it is woven. Those spun bound ones don't last a year. There are covers like you describe. I had one that was semi reflective, like a kind of vinyl that was super thin and made to breathe, with flocking on the inside to prevent marring. It was super light, too. The only problem is that lasted maybe a year and a half before it began to deteriorate.

Make sure it is woven. Those spun bound ones don't last a year. There are covers like you describe. I had one that was semi reflective, like a kind of vinyl that was super thin and made to breathe, with flocking on the inside to prevent marring. It was super light, too. The only problem is that lasted maybe a year and a half before it began to deteriorate.

Thanks for the tips. I am looking at several from covercraft that look nice, but boy are they pricey!

I've been looking for a outside cover and I ran accross Empire Covers. I very close to pulling the trigger on on of these. They seem to be the best bang for your buck. I have heard that they are just as good as the high price ones at a fraction of their cost. Give em a look.

You try looking at an OEM one from the dealer or places online that sell OEM products?

Most of the OEM covers are outrageously overpriced. Usually you have to contact a dealership directly to get a price.

Just a couple of things about covering a car outside. You come to work and it's sunny; you put the cover on. You come out at the end of the day and it's raining--the cover is wet...you roll it up and put it in the storage bag--but it's wet--if you leave it like that it will mildew...depending, you may or may not be able to fit it in your washer to wash/dry...if not, what will you do?

I disagree with Blackthorn about the spun covers, I had an Evolution 3 on my outside car for years and it didn't fall apart--although maybe they are worse today. But as I noted IMO there are a lot of problems with covers on cars outside--the cover gets dirty, the rain forces silty dirt through the material, etc. As I said, maybe they are different/better/worse now.

I have an evolution-type cover now that someone got me for a gift and I generally only use it in the garage or outside for short periods if it's not going to rain.

Just a couple of things about covering a car outside. You come to work and it's sunny; you put the cover on. You come out at the end of the day and it's raining--the cover is wet...you roll it up and put it in the storage bag--but it's wet--if you leave it like that it will mildew...depending, you may or may not be able to fit it in your washer to wash/dry...if not, what will you do?

I disagree with Blackthorn about the spun covers, I had an Evolution 3 on my outside car for years and it didn't fall apart--although maybe they are worse today. But as I noted IMO there are a lot of problems with covers on cars outside--the cover gets dirty, the rain forces silty dirt through the material, etc. As I said, maybe they are different/better/worse now.

I have an evolution-type cover now that someone got me for a gift and I generally only use it in the garage or outside for short periods if it's not going to rain.
The cover I have is an Evolution 4. The first one failed in the California sun in less than a year, and the second one did the same. It wore out on the forward part of the roof of my 57 Chevy, as it wore the material away to make a larger and larger opening along the ridge of the roof, which is rounded, not sharp. It wears out at points of concentrated contact, and then the material rips and entire sections continue to rip more, so that panels flop around in the wind, and eventually, it is all laying on the ground.

The cover I have is an Evolution 4. The first one failed in the California sun in less than a year, and the second one did the same. It wore out on the forward part of the roof of my 57 Chevy, as it wore the material away to make a larger and larger opening along the ridge of the roof, which is rounded, not sharp. It wears out at points of concentrated contact, and then the material rips and entire sections continue to rip more, so that panels flop around in the wind, and eventually, it is all laying on the ground.

The cover I had I probably bought in the early '90's and the car didn't have any pronounced contact points like you describe. Probably our sun is a little less intense here in NJ, but the cover lasted 8 or 9 years of being on most of the time, although it was ready for the trash when the car was.

Car covers demand upkeep also. Just like almost everything, you need to take care of it.

Back