PDA

View Full Version : Indecision on Wolfgang or Blackfire

mtndriver
03-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I've been maintaining my 08 silver Mercedes E-Class with claying once a year and then Menzerna FMJ. Now, I'm thinking of changing over to Wolfgang or BF, using first their paintwork enhancer (paint is like new w/o swirls) and then the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant or the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. I would apply two coats of the final sealer. I cannot decide which product to switch to as both get a lot of raves?? Car is mostly driven on road trips, not too much everyday driving. Is garaged when not being driven; it does get some winter driving.

Finally, if I used Collonite 845 or any other carnuba over either of those sealants would I have to break down the sealants every time I reapplied a deep gloss sealant or could I use the WG or BF deep gloss sealant over that in say 4 months after washing? Thanks for any help on this decision.

ScottB
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
you cannot do wrong with either sealant ...both offer more in good looks than FMJ imo.

rider9195
03-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Pick up a sample of both their paint cleaners and sealants. Then go from there. I feel the Wet Diamond is easier go wipe off though.

As Scott mentioned, you cannot go wrong with either. Both top quality products.

mwoolfso
03-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I've been maintaining my 08 silver Mercedes E-Class with claying once a year and then Menzerna FMJ. Now, I'm thinking of changing over to Wolfgang or BF, using first their paintwork enhancer (paint is like new w/o swirls) and then the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant or the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant. I would apply two coats of the final sealer. I cannot decide which product to switch to as both get a lot of raves?? Car is mostly driven on road trips, not too much everyday driving. Is garaged when not being driven; it does get some winter driving. Personally I have BFWD and have not tried WDGPS. I don't plan on trying WDGPS either; solely because I would say based on all of the reviews I have read.... both products are highly regarded, hence equal in terms of gloss and longevity. Others may have more facts and will certainly respond in kind. Both products are water-based and require 12-hour cure times. The net to me is that price would be the largest factor in making a decision one way or the other.

Finally, if I used Collonite 845 or any other carnuba over either of those sealants would I have to break down the sealants every time I reapplied a deep gloss sealant or could I use the WG or BF deep gloss sealant over that in say 4 months after washing? Thanks for any help on this decision. If you put a wax over a sealant and several months later you wanted to re-apply a sealant, practically speaking you would need to "break down the sealants" (as you put it). To me, that would mean removing the wax and sealant layers, starting over with clean paint. Sealants bond to paint, not wax so durability will be less if you don't start from "scratch". Also, after 2 layers of sealant, any additional layer will likely not get you much more benefit (law of diminishing returns).

Responses above.

silvermesa
03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Here is a thread on Autopia that you will find interesting. I know I did!

Wolfgang vs. Blackfire - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/38432-wolfgang-vs-blackfire.html)

Dr Oldz
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Both are very nice IMO. BF is a bit cheaper and that may be something to consider.

00celica
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
The Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer is difficult to work with and produces poor results. I used it on my garage kept 1978 Corvette pace car with black single stage, garage kept 1998 Acura CL 5 (red), and daily driver 2000 Toyota Celica and in all cases, it was hard to apply and hard to remove. I tried it at several different temperatures and techniques (wipe on, wipe off, haze, medium haze) and it produced streaks and I would end up cutting it with a pre-wax stripper. Some recommend Pooorboy's Pro Polish as a good pre-wax cleanser and I've also heard good things about Muc-Off's product. As a side note, the combo of WDGPS and Collinite is a durabland eye catching.

00celica
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
*durable and

Excuse the typo; typing from the iPhone app.

mtndriver
03-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have gone ahead and ordered both of the Blackfire products. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I do agree that with two coats of the Blackfire Wet Diamond any further products probably won't help much and when I reapply the BFWD in 3-4 months I won't have to remove the prior applications. I'm also hoping a double or triple application to the front of the vehicle will assist in bug removal during the summer, or perhaps some Klasse AIO over the Blackfire for the front bumper and grill would help as well?? I will be applying the Gloss Enhancing and the BFWD with a Porter Cable 7424 using a white applicator. All comments welcomed!

Dr Oldz
03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have gone ahead and ordered both of the Blackfire products. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I do agree that with two coats of the Blackfire Wet Diamond any further products probably won't help much and when I reapply the BFWD in 3-4 months I won't have to remove the prior applications. I'm also hoping a double or triple application to the front of the vehicle will assist in bug removal during the summer, or perhaps some Klasse AIO over the Blackfire for the front bumper and grill would help as well?? I will be applying the Gloss Enhancing and the BFWD with a Porter Cable 7424 using a white applicator. All comments welcomed!

The Klasse AIO will remove the BFWD. If you are applying the BFWD with the PC, you want to use a finishing pad such as a red, gold, grey or blue. The white pad will work fine with the GEP tho.

mtndriver
03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Good point that AIO may remove the BFWD as it is a cleaner as well. Maybe just additional coats of BFWD to the grill and bumper will do.

One other question. After claying the car is it necessary to wash it again, or just go ahead with the BF Gloss Enhancing?

Jim B
03-15-2012, 02:18 AM
Good point that AIO may remove the BFWD as it is a cleaner as well. Maybe just additional coats of BFWD to the grill and bumper will do.

One other question. After claying the car is it necessary to wash it again, or just go ahead with the BF Gloss Enhancing?

mtndriver, just read a thread that discusses whether to wash after claying -- started by Mike Phillips himself! Here's the shortcut http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22721-do-i-need-wash-my-car-after-i-use-detailing-clay-clay-paint.html

Hope it helps.
Jim B

mtndriver
03-15-2012, 09:01 AM
That last link is a big help. Think I will continue as before: wash car, clay with the included lubricant/detailer, and then go ahead with the BF Gloss Enhancing Polish. I see no reason to wash again. After using a micro fiber towel with the claying/detailer process the paint looks like new and is free of loose particles. Washing would not remove anything at this point IMO. The Gloss Enhancing Polish will do its job and make the surface ready for the BFWD.

KneeDragr
03-15-2012, 09:54 AM
I used blackfire products for a year with good results. The gloss enhancing polish does a good job cleaning and deepening the paint ( its part glaze ). You can see the difference if you do half a panel with it. The sealant is super slick, and can be boosted easily with their excellent spray following a wash. Using the booster you can easily get 6 months or longer out of it.
However, since switching to FK1000p on my daily driver, I must say that in the absence of boosting products, the FK seems to retain beading longer. The BF would lose all beading properties in the winter when I didnt boost it for 6-8 weeks, but the FK1000p seems to offer better protection in that case. Also, I feel the FK product leaves a deeper wetter look.