PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning

dhjunkie
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm going to clean the carpets in my 97 civic tomorrow. I've been reading as many posts and threads that I can find about carpet cleaning. Here's the procedure I think might work. 1. Vacuum thoroughly. 2. Spray carpets with a diluted all purpose cleaner (APC) good number of people prefer diluted folex. Stronger solution (less water more product) for heavily soiled areas. 3. Scrub carpet with clean comfortable brush; remove excess foam w/ micro fiber towel (MF) as needed. 4. Use shop-vac or extractor to remove as much moisture as possible. Repeat steps 2-4 as necessary to achieve desired result. 5. Spray with water and scrub to "rinse" the carpet. 6Vaccum or extract as much water as possible. 7. If possible leave windows and or door open to aide in drying.

Please review my post and let me know if I have included any unnecessary steps or left out a necessary step. Thanks for the feedback.

daveinsweethome
03-23-2012, 11:16 AM
your steps look fine. it is more of an old school approach. i like using a carpet brush on my porter cable to agitate the carpet. if the carpet is really really bad being 15 years old a steamer might help with any bad spots. just not sure a wet dry can suck up enough. but let it rip. good luck

Setec Astronomy
03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I think you're going to need more rinse steps than APC steps. Avoid the urge to keep putting more APC in if you don't have to, it's really easy to put too much in, really hard to get too much out.

dhjunkie
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
For right now I'm the porter cable. I'll try my best with what I have. Thanks for the feedback.

dhjunkie
03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
I think you're going to need more rinse steps than APC steps. Avoid the urge to keep putting more APC in if you don't have to, it's really easy to put too much in, really hard to get too much out.
Got it. I'll go easy with the APC. Thanks for the advise.

badredbrd89
03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
This is essentially what I do when I'm cleaning carpets. Because I dont have an extractor or shampooer, it takes longer of course. But just take your time and remember to be thorough. You'll get great results! :D
-Chris

Josh@BR
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah Folex is a great product to use with or instead of APC. It requires little to no "rinsing" depending on the task at hand.

BillE
03-24-2012, 07:05 AM
The hardest part of doing carpets is (in my thinking) is making sure they are DRY. One can be very surprised on how quickly they can mildew.

Bill