Looking for a wheel cleaner for a painted aluminum wheel !!!

Webb

Reaction score
Right now I'm using a cheapo wheel cleaner purchased at AutoZone months ago but it says "Safe for all wheels",but now I bought a new car with aluminum wheels coated/painted and I was looking for a nicest tire/wheel combo just to be on the safer side.
I don't have the money for 2 different cleaners wheel/tires I would need a combo cleaner.Any suggestion is welcome.

PS: Can't do Wolfgang either too expensive...BTW why are they so expensive ?

This is the wheel.

kly80.jpg

Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel & Tire Cleaner seems to work well and it's available locally...

Thanks Bobby yeah I was thinking of Meguiars and Mothers,I guess I would get 1 of each to see.

Instead of buying one of each couldn't you just buy one of the the more expensive cleaners?

Instead of buying one of each couldn't you just buy one of the the more expensive cleaners?

Wolfgang is 20.00
Mothers is 7.00
Meguiars is 7.00

Wolfgang does the job 3 times better ?

Thanks Bobby yeah I was thinking of Meguiars and Mothers,I guess I would get 1 of each to see.

:iagree: Both Meguiar's and Mothers offer some very good over the counter products that won't empty your wallet....:props:

Mothers has a nice tire treatment that works well too......

Last edited:
Looks good for 8 bucks.Thanks Bob.

Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel is very good at cleaning wheels/tires. Dilute 6:1 and still have great cling and cleaning ability. If you want something a little cheaper, try their Citrus Wheel Gel. It's not AS GOOD as the Diablo, but it still works very very well.

Mother's works well, but I usually just use my regular shampoo mixture to wash my tires and wheels. Probably depends on the car though - my dad's BMW is a brake dust monster.

If you keep the wheels clean, like it looks like you do, then why would you need a wheel cleaner at all? Just get your wheel wash bucket and put a little APC in it and be on your way. NO need to put any chemicals on the wheel if it really isn't that dirty. That's how I feel anyways.

Keeping a coat of wax on them will greatly reduce the need for wheel cleaners. But when you do Mothers works well and is pretty economical as you know.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQ0CEFeUBQ&feature=player_embedded]Mothers Polish - Cleaning Wheels & Tires (How To Video) - YouTube[/video]

You can just wash your wheels throughly with a car shampoo and I also agree that Mothers Reflections Protectant is a great dressing for the tires.

The least aggressive method first doesn't just apply to paint - why don't you give your usual car shampoo mix a try first, see if it'll do for regular maintenance?

Back