Polishers, Buffers wipe on wax off?

xxnonamexx

Reaction score
After a lot of reading I am confused but have found out that flex polishers are used to apply wax. You remove wax by hand. My question that is confusing is a flex polisher only used for polishing? I also have a buffer so I will need to use a buffer when removing compound. I just want to make sure as its a bit confusing when I read about foam pads preventing you from burning paint. I thought you would be able to use a flex polisher to apply wax and take the wax off as well. Thanks

I think I found my answer:

Mike Phillips said:
Removing wax using the PC 7424XP
Some people like to remove dried wax by hand and some people like to use the dual action polisher to do this job. It really comes down to personal preference. I can also make a case for using the machine but not in this article. So for now, here's a few tips and techniques for using the PC 7424XP to remove dried wax or paint sealant.

First and foremost, the layer of wax MUST be a thin coat that is completely dried. If the layer is thick and still wet, (and if it's thick then that means it will take longer to dry so it's possible it's still wet), then you won't get very far trying to remove the wax or paint sealant by machine as your microfiber will load up with wax very quickly and reach a saturation point that it will stop removing the product, or at least stop removing it completely.

After reading this article you should be practicing the art of applying a thin coating and allowing the coating to fully dry as proven by your Swipe Test. If you have all your ducks in a row then the dried wax or paint sealant will remove off the paint as easy as a summer breeze.

Products needed
PC 7424XP
Foam cutting pad - you want a firm or stiff foam pad under the microfiber bonnet.
Microfiber Bonnet

Directions
Place the microfiber bonnet over the foam cutting pad and ensure it's secure and somewhat centered.

Set the speed setting to 5.0

Place the face of the bonnet onto the waxed panel and, with firm pressure, turn the polisher on and begin removing the dried product using a brisk movement in any pattern that you like or fits the design of the panel. Continue removing product and moving around the car.

Reversible bonnets
As you work around the car, the nap of the bonnet will start to load up with dried product. Periodically turn off the polisher and inspect the bonnet for wax build-up and/or any dirt or abrasive particles. If the bonnet is starting to cake up with dried wax, remove the bonnet, turn it inside out and then replace it onto your foam pad. Once both sides are full of wax switch to a new bonnet.

Yes, they can be used to remove wax. I have tried the MF bonnets. I dont care for them. I apply with machine and remove by hand.

The quote you found is from this article I wrote when I first came to Autogeek from Meguiar's.

The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher

After a lot of reading I am confused but have found out that flex polishers are used to apply wax. You remove wax by hand. My question that is confusing is a flex polisher only used for polishing?

As far as I know, most people only use Flex rotary and forced rotation dual action polishers for compounding and polishing.

Some will use them with one-step cleaner/waxes also called AIO or All-in-One type products.

I also have a buffer so I will need to use a buffer when removing compound.

You don't remove compounds or polishes with a buffer of any type. The spinning pad against the dry and drying compound/polish residue would tend to inflict swirls back into the paint and load up on the face of your pad or bonnet.

I just want to make sure as its a bit confusing when I read about foam pads preventing you from burning paint.

Foam pads, especially polishing and finishing pads are soft and therefore more gentle to painted surfaces than will cutting or polishing pads which are made from fibers.

I thought you would be able to use a flex polisher to apply wax and take the wax off as well.

Thanks

You can apply wax using a Flex 3401 forced rotation dual action polisher. I would strongly recommend NOT applying a wax or paint sealant using a direct drive rotary buffer.

As for removing dried was using a Flex 3401 using a dry pad with a clean, dry bonnet over the pad... I've never tried this that I can remember. My guess is you will experience very 'grabby', or non-smooth buffing.

But you can try and post back here how it works out... others might be interested as well...

:)

interesting I don't mind applying wax by hand and removing by hand. Do you think applying wax by machine has its benefits? besides speed?

I think I will download your e-book to have as a reference. Thanks

Back