PDA

View Full Version : Help getting that foggy look out of paint.

Pages : [1] 2

chaoscontrol
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I need some help with part of my car paint, it seems to have this foggy look even detailing will not remove. I use the porter cable on it with, standard pads with poorboy's polish I use three and then one. But after im done the reflection still looks foggy and unclear. Like I can see a reflection but unless I am very close to the car I can not make out any details of the object. Ive gone over a few areas more than once but still I've seen only very little improvement. Is there somthing I can do with with the porter cable that I am missing or is there some other way I can improve this? Thanks

P.S. This is only about half of my car the other side has no problems.

HighEndDetail
03-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I need some help with part of my car paint, it seems to have this foggy look even detailing will not remove. I use the porter cable on it with, standard pads with poorboy's polish I use three and then one. But after im done the reflection still looks foggy and unclear. Like I can see a reflection but unless I am very close to the car I can not make out any details of the object. Ive gone over a few areas more than once but still I've seen only very little improvement. Is there somthing I can do with with the porter cable that I am missing or is there some other way I can improve this? Thanks

P.S. This is only about half of my car the other side has no problems.
Was that part repainted at one point? What type of pad are you using to polish it with.

chaoscontrol
03-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Yes, it was but other parts where also and they do not look like that.

budman3
03-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Where did you hear to use SSR3??? I would not recomend you using this on your car!! It is like liquid sandpaper and will cut through the clear. It has its place in detailing but not on 95% of the cars... So you may be seeing micromarring from the polish. Do you have any other products / pads? SSR2.5 would be more than enough to tackle deep swirls if you have it. It would likely clear up thw 'fog' look as well. Do you have a picture? That way I can give you a more specific product recomendation.

chaoscontrol
03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Where did you hear to use SSR3??? I would not recomend you using this on your car!! It is like liquid sandpaper and will cut through the clear. It has its place in detailing but not on 95% of the cars... So you may be seeing micromarring from the polish. Do you have any other products / pads? SSR2.5 would be more than enough to tackle deep swirls if you have it. It would likely clear up thw 'fog' look as well. Do you have a picture? That way I can give you a more specific product recomendation.

I can get photos up tomarrow, but for the moment yes i have SSR2.5 and also have XMT3, 2 and 1. Whats strange is that there are no swirls in the paint it just does not reflect light correctly. It blurs the reflection giving it no real detail just shape. I have done one area several times and it improved but still it does not give a very good reflection. Also my clear coat is very thick on this peice, more so than the old paint thats why I thought SSR3.

justin_murphy
03-16-2007, 02:06 PM
SS3 will finish down just fine just fine. Look here:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...details038.jpghttp://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/EVO/details038.jpg

It was this....
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/EVO/details032.jpg
Go here to see the entire post....
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/3267-review-dps-super-swirl-remover-pbs-pws.html

This was with SSR3 and the yellow EDGE pad. I bet your clear is not consistently thick. Some I bet is even dead.

Pics will help a lot!

nick19
03-16-2007, 02:10 PM

Not sure where you heard this. I've used much stronger polishes than this with the PC on automobiles. It is abrasive; yes, but there's polishes stronger than this out there.

chaoscontrol
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
So does the clearcoat affect the reflection of paint that much? I know it was uneven, and I think the paint was also, but the fog does not change unless I detail the area. I.E. The reflection is blured all the way the same way.

nick19
03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Do you have a finishing glaze? If so, give that a try. I use a FG after I polish, wheater its a light polish or strong polish. FG's bring back the shine and luster from dull paint, caused by polishing.

chaoscontrol
03-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Not sure where you heard this. I've used much stronger polishes than this with the PC on automobiles. It is abrasive; yes, but there's polishes stronger than this out there.

My car is similar to yours its a 1998 honda civic ex, 2 doors black. It has some battle damage, but some new areas of paint just do not reflect correctly. You saw what I was using above what do you recomend?

nick19
03-16-2007, 02:18 PM
My car is similar to yours its a 1998 honda civic ex, 2 doors black. It has some battle damage, but some new areas of paint just do not reflect correctly. You saw what I was using above what do you recomend?

Are you responding to me? :confused:

chaoscontrol
03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Yea, sorry people are posting faster than I can type... lol

nick19
03-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Yea, sorry people are posting faster than I can type... lol

Its ok, you said "you have a car like my Honda", and I was confused.

I have a Oldsmobile Aurora.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/P1010171.JPG

I was just wondering if you had a Finishing Glaze. WG, DP's, Pinnacle, PB's etc. all have FG's.

budman3
03-16-2007, 03:12 PM

I didn't hear it from anyone... it's called personal experience. SSR3 is a great product but it should be used in the hands of the inexperienced. This is also from personal experience. I was in this same boat about 2 years ago- I had swirls that I wanted to get rid of so I busted out SSR3 and it left a foggy haze on my paint- 100% inexperience on my part. A less agressive product would have removed the swirls without inducing the haze. Have you used SSR3? Do you know how abrasive it is (not reading it online)? It is liquid sandpaper.

Justin- In that thread you said you used DP Swirl remover... I'm just saying that this is a potent product that could lead to some damage in the wrong hands, I know this because I have come close... even on a repainted panel.

Always use the least agressive approach first.

nick19
03-16-2007, 03:33 PM
I didn't hear it from anyone... it's called personal experience. SSR3 is a great product but it should be used in the hands of the inexperienced. This is also from personal experience. I was in this same boat about 2 years ago- I had swirls that I wanted to get rid of so I busted out SSR3 and it left a foggy haze on my paint- 100% inexperience on my part. A less agressive product would have removed the swirls without inducing the haze. Have you used SSR3? Do you know how abrasive it is (not reading it online)? It is liquid sandpaper.

Justin- In that thread you said you used DP Swirl remover... I'm just saying that this is a potent product that could lead to some damage in the wrong hands, I know this because I have come close... even on a repainted panel.

Always use the least agressive approach first.

I have used a sample of SSR3 and found OC and DP's SSR or Meg's 83 to work better. At least in direct sunlight.

Chaos, did you use to much on the pads? How long did you work the product? What pads did you use?