PDA

View Full Version : Where do you initiate your detail?

SON1C
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
say example doorjambs -> interior -> tires wheels -> exterior

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2012, 12:44 PM
In my driveway? Oh...usually I start on the outside, tires and wheels first if I'm doing a conventional wash.

brentech
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I start with tires and wheels. I don't want the grime from wheel-wells or the tires themselves kicking up onto the paint if I were to have washed that first.

Interior is usually the last thing, but includes window cleaner on both sides.

Porsche Pilot
I start mine in Setec's driveway also. Pre soak bugs on front clip then
wheels and tires are first for me too.

FUNX650
say example doorjambs -> interior -> tires wheels -> exterior

-For personal vehicles...The interior "detailing" comes first

-For "Customers/Clients"...Depends on their selection of: 'Detail Packages'.

-NOTE: Since a lot folks spend sometimes 8-12 or more hours each week riding-in/driving their DD's...
It's still an enigma to me why some do not have their vehicles' interiors detailed/cleaned, to at least what I call an acceptable livable-cabin-space, more often.

-To those that do...Interior also comes first.

-That's all of my: Detailing a Vehicle by Sequential-Steps...I'm willing to divulge at the present time...Security Clearance, and all, if you know what I mean!!

:)

Bob

thooks
04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
If I am doing a full clean up (I'm not a sooper-dooper every weekend detailer like most of you), I usually start out with the interior. I work for a living, have a 45+ minute one-way commute and have other hobbies.

I try to vacuum out the interior once a month but that ends up usually being once every 3 months. Nonetheless, I like to get it over with and be fresh when doing it so that I do a good job. I use the household Dyson, all the attachments and will also have a couple of Libman brushes to help.

Interior glass and I don't use any sort of dash protectant. I don't want the greasy mess on everything and most of them...I despise the scent. And I've not seen an interior you need that stuff on since GM figured out that every other MFG's dash wasn't cracking.

Then, I hit the wheels first on the exterior. Once again, it's the toughest thing on the exterior and it's the last thing I want to do when I'm done with the exterior.

sahrcar
04-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I do a walk around inspection and if needed spray the bugs with an apc and let dwell first before doing anything. First thing I always do is vacuum out the interior. I live in a coastal area so most vehicles I do almost always have a lot of beach sand carried inside of them. Its a pain to fully vacuum out so I always like to pull out the blower first to get rid of as much crud as possible. I open all 4 doors and let it blow! If I had started on the wheels then everything that blows out usually ends up on the wheels and I'll have to do them again. Even if I dont use a blower it sill seems like the wind just naturally blows stuff out of the vehicle and onto the wheeels whenever I do them first. Plus when I pull out the floor mats they're always covered in loose grit which makes a mess when removing from the car too. So pulling out the blower and vacuum are always the first things I do now.

Webb
04-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Interior 1st
Wheel/Tires
Body

Detailchick
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Tires/wheels, apc doorjams+trunk if they are really dirty, then wash (and clay if its in what theyre paying for) after that I do the interior and whatever exterior steps last
I feel that once I get the wash done I feel more relaxed then if I take too long on the interior and then go wash because I don't want to rush through my wash and the car is dry by the time I start with the outside. I like doing the interior first because it gives time for the carpets and mats to dry. last is dressing tires and making sure wheels look good and clean windows.

SheldonH
04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
When receiving a customers car first.... I open up the doors and take a general look around and at the inside. Then I step back and say what the $!/@ how do you let a vehicle get like this

SeaJay's
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Interior 1st
Wheel/Tires
Body

Same here. Don't ask me why I do it this way. Just the way I started and became routine.

HotWhipT/A
04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
When receiving a customers car first.... I open up the doors and take a general look around and at the inside. Then I step back and say what the $!/@ how do you let a vehicle get like this

LOL, ME TOO!

I do front bugs and wheels/tires first, exterior wash second and interior/door jambs last.

shoeless89
04-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Wheels

Canadian
04-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Personal cars:

- Engine
- Beer
- Wheels
- Beer
- Wash
- Rum
- Interior
- Jagermeister
- figure out how to get back from Tijuana

P.S. I don't drive there, and don't condone drinking and driving.

Non personal cars

- Engine
- Wheels
- Exterior
- Door Jams
- Trunk
- Interior
- AIO or whatever exterior treatment is on the schedule