PDA

View Full Version : 2013 srt viper gts

LuxuryMobile
04-29-2012, 08:48 AM
In the June issue of Car and Driver, there is an article about the new 2013 Viper. The article discusses some of the changes and what is going to be new to the Viper.

Car and Driver asks Russ Ruedisueli (the head of SRT and Motorsports and vehicle line exec for the new Viper) "Tell me about the paint process"

His response

"The old car's panels arrived at the factory painted-kind of mixed and matched-and if you wanted the car striped, it went on to another place, and they put the stripes on top of the paint. Now they'll do the stripes directly on the panels, and they'll be under the clear coat. We really raised the bar on gloss level. It literally a hand paint job-hand-buffed and sanded, a custom job. I don't think anybody else can make that claim. Maybe Aston."

It is nice to see a manufacturer make such a claim. Almost no cars these days, high dollar or not, are getting wet sanded and buffed by dealers. This doesn't mean that the Viper wont leave the dealership without defects but at least the orange peel should be down some. Nice to see SRT actually make a push for better paint quality and finish.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

wgilles
04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
I agree that it is great that they are talking about the paint process. I like how they are going to put the stripes under the clear coat and not just use "vinyls" or something like they use on the Mustangs.

The Cobra Replica I detailed had the stripes painted on under the clear coat and it made it so much easier to work with.

I'm a huge Viper fan and am glad to see Dodge (SRT) putting so much effort into the new Viper. I hope I can get one some day

LuxuryMobile
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Anxious to see them get in the hands of detailers to see how they actually look after the dealers work.