Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer nonsense instructions!!!

Webb

Reaction score
I just got this but didn't follow the instructions...

Directions:
Apply Black Wow before washing your vehicle. Use a Poly Foam Wax Applicator and spread a pea-sized amount evenly on the trim. Apply a very thin coat. Buff off excess with a lint-free Cobra Microfiber Cloth. (Use a separate towel than the ones you use on the paint.) Then wash the vehicle and use the wash sponge to wipe down the trim. Towel dry.

So I'm supposed to use apply this on a dirty car,them wash it ? Uh doesn't make much sense.

im must not have read the directions very well because i didnt notice that!

Thats very odd. Here on autogeek, it mentions using a cleaner to make sure it is free of dirt and old dressing. Why is washing not acceptable?

Directions:
Apply Black Wow before washing your vehicle. Use a Poly Foam Wax Applicator and spread a pea-sized amount evenly on the trim. Apply a very thin coat. Buff off excess with a lint-free Cobra Microfiber Cloth. (Use a separate towel than the ones you use on the paint.) Then wash the vehicle and use the wash sponge to wipe down the trim. Towel dry.

So I'm supposed to use apply this on a dirty car,them wash it ? Uh doesn't make much sense.
:iagree: They need to rewrite the instructions.

Yeah let me apply Wow on my muddy bumper.Then I wash it.

I don't think it means to leave it muddy. But that the wash after will level out any extra polymers.

Directions:

Official black wow page:

UPDATED 12/1/2010
Directions:
For best results, thoroughly clean trim before applying Black Wow, and perform the first application before washing your car, ideally the day before. Remember, a little goes a LONG way and the best results come from letting Black Wow penetrate the plastic. Size does matter!

FOR BEST RESULTS, LET BLACK WOW ABSORB FULLY BEFORE GETTING WET (ATLEAST 1 DAY)
Apply a sesame seed sized amount to the applicator pad and massage it into your trim. You will see an immediate improvement in darkness and uniformity in tone. Continue to spread this out. More is NOT better with Black Wow. Always work with sesame seed or pea sized amounts. The final look should be matte, not glossy and wet. There is no need to let BW dry or cure but it is important for BW to absorb. For the most durability, thoroughly clean the trim of all previous products using Pre-Wow, then leave BW to absorb instead of removing any excess. Lastly, wash the next day or later. If you immediately remove any excess with a lint free towel or proceed to wash the car, BW may not have the most durability.

I read those instructions but the car was already washed. So I just applied Black WOW on the cowl and a few other places after the car was dry anyway and looks good so far.

This actually makes a little sense to me. I own this product and it's very sticky and goopy. A very very little goes a long way. It's like thick motor oil. I think they want you to clean the area locally, apply, let it dry, and then wash the vehicle. It's great at restoring very small faded areas. I use it on the thin piece of black aluminum the goes down the side of the windshield, between the windshield and the A pillar.

Directions:

I'm wondering if this is the long lost cousin of Sham-WOW.....:eek:

This isn't a huge mystery. They want you to wash after applying so any excess gets cleaned off and carried away. That way it won't streak the first time it rains.

I got tired of using dressings like this on exterior trim because the bottom line is they are just silicone oils of one type or another and ultimately get washed off by rain/washing. I'd much rather use a coating like C4 or a sealant like UTTG or WETS on hard exterior plastics.

Back