Need assistance with initial purchase.

cudaowner

Reaction score
I know I haven't read EVERY post, but I feel like I have.
In any case, I know there is a lot of sujectivity, but would like some advice on an iniital purchase. I am not so much concerned about pinching pennies, but want to buy the right stuff the first time. Some background.
I am starting from scratch.
My experience: Have painted, wet sanded, and polished out a couple of cars with a rotary buffer before. No real detail experience like others on this forum. Have only used hand method with multiple step systems like Zaino.
The only item I know I want to start with is the Flex 3401.
The rest is fair game. I was initially leaning heavily towards an Adams kit for ease of use, unsderstanding, and feedback.

Use: Personal/Family vehicles. I am in Afghanistan now, and picking up a brand new yellow Challenger SRT when I get home in a couple of weeks. I alos have three other vehicles in the family to work with.
So, I need everything from clay bar, towels, pads, polishes, detailer, etc.
After reading here, I am leaning now towards CG, or Minzerna. Can anyone recommend an inclusive kit?, Or make a recommendation to piece one together? I would lke to keep the cost within $500 or so.
Thank you in advance,
v/r Larry

Well the flex is a great machine, but if you're going to have a new car, I think a regular DA will work great. By this you'll have more money to put towards more products. I would stay away from Adams, IMO they're a bit overpriced. More experienced guys will chime in with a whole list with links( on my phone so it's hard to do). Btw Thank you for your service!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Hi Larry,

The Flex 3401 is quite a machine and if you have your heart set on the Flex then go for it.

The Flex 3401 is larger in comparison to lets say Porter Cables 7424xp. The pads I use with my Flex 3401 are 6 - 6 1/2 inches variety.

My Porter Cable 7424 works very well with the 5 1/2" variety.

If you're interested in the Porter Cable 7424xp

The Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Kit works very well and something I'd recommend with the Porter Cables 7424xp.

For a general polish I also like Menzerna's SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (PO106FA). This combined with an Orange and White foam pad works wonders.

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you if you need it.

The list below is what I call; "if I were to choose one product it would be these"

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Mothers
Compound - PG 1000 – PowerGloss Compound (POS34A)
Polish - PF 2500 – Power Finish Polish (PO203)
Finishing Polish - SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (PO106FA)
Sealant - Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax -Optimum Spray Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Trim - Ultima Tire and Trim Guard
Wheel Cleaner - Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
Wheel Protectant -Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Interior Protectant - Meguiar’s M40
Chrome & Stainless Steel - BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Metal Acrylic Sealant

Hi Larry,

The Flex 3401 is quite a machine and if you have your heart set on the Flex then go for it.

The Flex 3401 is larger in comparison to lets say Porter Cables 7424xp. The pads I use with my Flex 3401 are 6 - 6 1/2 inches variety.

My Porter Cable 7424 works very well with the 5 1/2" variety.

If you're interested in the Porter Cable 7424xp

The Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Kit works very well and something I'd recommend with the Porter Cables 7424xp.

For a general polish I also like Menzerna's SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (PO106FA). This combined with an Orange and White foam pad works wonders.

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you if you need it.

The list below is what I call; "if I were to choose one product it would be these"

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Mothers
Compound - PG 1000 – PowerGloss Compound (POS34A)
Polish - PF 2500 – Power Finish Polish (PO203)
Finishing Polish - SF 4000 – Super Finish Polish (PO106FA)
Sealant - Ultima Paint Guard Plus
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax -Optimum Spray Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Trim - Ultima Tire and Trim Guard
Wheel Cleaner - Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
Wheel Protectant -Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Interior Protectant - Meguiar’s M40
Chrome & Stainless Steel - BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Metal Acrylic Sealant

I knew Bobby wouldn't let me down with his links :)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Bobby has given a lot of good recommendations. As an alterantive to:
1. Menzerna Compounds/Polishes, there isn't much I haven't been able to take care of with Meguiars M105 and M205. I use them on DA and Rotary.
2. Four Star UPGP Sealant: Four Star UPP or Blackfire Wet Diamond. Both reportedly give a wetter/slicker look then UPGP.
As you say that you are in Afganistan, I take it that you are in the military. Thank you for your service.

Thank you both for the info. That is helpful. I will start working off the "one product" list. I am pretty much sold on the Flex 3401, and from what I have read, cannot go wrong with the LC Hybrid pads. Cannot seem to find a kit buy for the Flex and the pads...or anything on the list for that matter. So, I guess I will be spending a tad more than I initially thought buying everything individually.
For starters, and working from the list to prepare for my new Challenger, can you recomend the requisite Minzerna and Black Diamond products I would need (presume need to clay, but not heavy cutting or scratch/haze correctionr with the new paint)?

I too needed help with my initial purchase & had my heart set on the Flex 3401. I ordered it yesterday with the hybrid pads. Now I have to hurry up & wait!!

Back