LSP Suggestions for Mazda CX9 Stormy Blue Mica

freeclear

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined, my intro is here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/50703-hello-fl.html#post680373

I have 2012 Mazda CX9 Stormy Blue Mica. The paint is beautiful. It has different qualities in different light conditions, and is one of the nicest paint colors I've owned. The car is brand new, and I'm a little afraid to touch it. But, I'm going on a road trip to NC with it next week, so I am going to use my current stock of Wolfgang polish and sealant on it, and hope that I use good enough technique not to mess it up. I've always worked on my forgiving silver Toyota Camry.

I'm looking for suggestions on a final wax. I could 1) leave it alone after the sealant, 2) get and use some Souveran, or 3) try the Blackfire. Or any other suggestion.

The car is my wife's, and it takes the kids to school, runs errands, and sits in the garage. What I'm looking for is something to really bring out the metallic and the blue. I will be applying by hand, since my budget doesn't cover a new car, premium wax, and an orbital polisher :eek:

Also, is it ok to seal it this weekend, then go back and wax in a week or two, or does the process need to start from scratch again? Unfortunately, I don't have the time to devote to this again for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

For cost and durability you cant beat 845. Everyone has a different modality to their process but my go to group is WGDGPS then 845 toped with Fusion. Its a black car and that group works well for me. if your not a fan of fusion XMT makes a good, low cost carnuba too.

your sealant should last a good 6 months. as will the 845. Some people just seal once a year. you should be able to seal it, and then just maintain it with a nice carnuba every few months but if your crunched for time, IMHO the 845 is a great, long lasting option

Last edited:
As a general rule, nuba waxes will cause the metallics in paint to be less reflective and sealants leave a glossier finish giving the illusion that the metallics are "popping".

For a DD I would consider Collonite 845/915/476's, Megs UPW, Duragloss 105, Blackfire WD, Menzerna Powerlock, Einzett Glanz...........etc.

Here are pics of my DD with 476s http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/43494-quick-wash-wax-my-daily-drivers-today.html

Applying a nuba on top of the sealant might take away the "metallic pop" you are looking for.

Hi Mike,

Dark blue metallics benefit nicely from a thorough paint prep then adding your favorite last step product. Cleaners and fine polishes do a great job preparing the finish for the protective coats to come..

Applying a quality sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is a great way to enhance and protect all that hard work that went into prepping the finish. Sealing can be left as it, doubled up after 12 hours, then if you like the addition of a nice carnauba will add that depth and wetness you're trying to achieve...

• Wolfgang Fuzion
• Dodo Juice Supernatural
• Pinnacle Souveran
• Blackfire Midnight Sun
• Collinite 845

No, you won't have to start all over again....

Seal, and in a few days or a week, wash with your favorite carwash solution, dry, then add your next product....:props:

Good morning everyone. Hope your holiday weekend was nice. Thanks for the replies. I got the CX9 polished and sealed this weekend. It's so unbelievably smooth, you couldn't lean on it without slipping off. The car looks great as is, so I'm considering just sticking with the sealant. I got a picture of the reflection off the door panel. I'm trying to get it off the phone and on the site.

There is such feeling of accomplishment and pride when you spend so long prepping and working and rub the MF towel for a final wipe and feel how smooth the finish is :)

If I went with a carnuba, I'd be looking for something really easy on/easy off. Based on what I read in the forums, the Collinite takes a bit of elbow grease. Also, I'm going for looks and less for durability. This car spends most of it's life in the garage. I think I might just stick with a 'system' and try the Fuzion, since I'm using the other Wolfgang products. However, it's a bit expensive to buy just to try it out, so I'll probably just stick with the sealant.

I have a couple follow up questions if you don't mind. Comparing the polishing step to waxing,I spent considerably more time with the polishing step. I was working by hand and did 6 passes on a smallish section (16" x 16" or so) then wiped. Is it typical for the polish step to take much longer than the sealing step? Can I polish the whole car then wipe off the polish, as in the sealing step?

Regarding MF towels and applicators. I wash my MF towels in a warm wash with just a touch of fragrance-free detergent. Can I drop my MF polish applicator and foam sealant applicator in there too?

Thanks for the previous responses and have a great week.

Mike

I am no pro, but I was my towels, drying towels, wash mitts and MF applicators all in the same load. Seems to work for me.

I am no pro, but I was my towels, drying towels, wash mitts and MF applicators all in the same load. Seems to work for me.

Thanks for the reply 07gtcs. If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me :props:

Mike

Regarding my question from yesterday, I found the answer in one of Mike Phillip's articles. I will link it here in case anyone wonders the same thing reading my post.

Here was my concern

I have a couple follow up questions if you don't mind. Comparing the polishing step to waxing,I spent considerably more time with the polishing step. I was working by hand and did 6 passes on a smallish section (16" x 16" or so) then wiped. Is it typical for the polish step to take much longer than the sealing step? Can I polish the whole car then wipe off the polish, as in the sealing step?

Here is an article about 'Man vs. Machine' that outlines pretty well the polish step.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/20257-man-versus-machine.html

Most of the polishing articles relate more towards the more cutting polishes, where I was wondering more about the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. This article makes me feel comfortable with the amount of time I spent applying the product. I'm just not happy about it :cry: By the time I polish again, I hope to get a da polisher to make the time I spend more bearable.:buffing:

Thanks again for all help,

Mike

Nice job!
The polishing step always takes longer (by machine or hand). When polishing or cleaning you are removing imperfections or contaminates so it takes some effort. When doing the LSP sealants or waxes you are only applying a product with no cleaning or defect removal then buffing off. So a lot less time and effort. "wax on, wax off"

A very good looking and easy to use wax is on BOGO (buy one get one free) right now! Gives that nice deep Nuba finish and they don't get a lot easier to use! Good durability but not great. :buffing:
DP Max Wax- Made with pure carnauba wax and advanced polymers.

Back