PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about car covers

tach18k
05-29-2012, 03:01 PM
My time gets limited to do my detail work on my black car. It is a daily driver up to 90 miles a day on freeways and streets and not covered at night. Come the weekend I want to clean it up and maintain the finish. Since it is a outside car, any thoughts on covering it over night and during the day while at work. Are there issues with fitted car covers and its affect on the finish?

qballjr13
05-29-2012, 03:08 PM
The California Car Cover Company has some of the softest, most delicate covers available. They even have the "Noah" which is 100% waterproof for outside cars. I have one for the street rod and it has never damaged the finish at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
A necessary evil with a similitude of RW's - both can lead to micromarring.:xyxthumbs:

alko
05-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Before I was actually against this but I've been thinking about possibly picking one up. My biggest fear right now is hail damage since my car sits outside most of the time. Do the nicer ones protect against hail?

Rsurfer
05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
You are too funny alko.:xyxthumbs:
Before I was actually against this but I've been thinking about possibly picking one up. My biggest fear right now is hail damage since my car sits outside most of the time. Do the nicer ones protect against hail?

Railroad
05-29-2012, 05:13 PM
California Car Cover has their Stormweave model that they say
protects against minor dents and dings because of the thick material that it's made from. It's the one I've had my eye on for
this very reason because my truck sits outside and hail is becoming more frequent where I'm at.

Spiney
05-29-2012, 10:11 PM
When we bought our black 96 SVT Cobra we knew it would sit outside for a month or so until the garage got cleared out. So I bought the Noah model. It protected pretty well from the weather, but I feel it did cause scratches on a clean car, with a brand new cover. Biggest issue was we had a stormy month till we got her garaged, and I think the wind caused the scratches. Plus even with the cover, I found myself driving the car to get it under some sort of shelter when they called for hail, which was often last August. That got old fast. It's definitely better than being out in the open. Ours was custom fitted, and fit well. If your car is not black and has a good protective coat of wax or sealant on it you may make out better than I did. I do understand they make ones with a softer interior than the Noah. This was my experience, yours may. Prove better. When we bought the car it was a garage queen that never saw rain, and we are trying hard to keep it that way. When we travel to visit relatives I put the cover in the trunk in case it will sit overnight and may see rain. It's all relative. 30 years ago I had a cherry classic 70 Mach-1 that I drove to school and work in snowstorms. I know better now, but you can drive yourself crazy.

alko
05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
You are too funny alko.:xyxthumbs:

Call me hopefull LMAO!!! I don't have a garage at my place and my fiancee's house, which I'll be moving into when we get married, only has a one car garage so someone's car will always be outside. I hate the thought of pulling a cover across my car, but I'd rather deal with marring than dents.