What do ya think?

Newdetailer1

Reaction score
I got these in thinking that I might start going to the local car shows and just park it and put some business cars and brochures in the windshield?

IMG_9133.jpg

It pisses me off when someone puts something on my windshield. Quickest way to loose a client no matter who good you are.

Just hand them over.

I think OP meant to put cards and brochures on his own vehicle. Interested customers can then take one if they like.....

It looks good but the facebook link looks amateur-ish and is hard to remember, no offense. You can get a year long domain name and website built for $75 now, it will be the best detailing investment you ever make.

I think OP meant to put cards and brochures on his own vehicle. Interested customers can then take one if they like.....

Yes this is what I had in mind.

It looks good but the facebook link looks amateur-ish and is hard to remember, no offense. You can get a year long domain name and website built for $75 now, it will be the best detailing investment you ever make.

I'm sure, but this is where I'm starting out as cheap as possible. Most of my funds goes into equipment and supplies. I like most am trying to get most of my business thru word of mouth and any form of free ads.

I think you have a great idea. I have been meaning to do something similar. I have a few customers that take their cars to shows. In my area there's a ton of car shows. Only problem, I don't have a show car worthy car yet lol I may tag along with one of my customers or wait a few months till I get my cadillac.

I think you have a great idea. I have been meaning to do something similar. I have a few customers that take their cars to shows. In my area there's a ton of car shows. Only problem, I don't have a show car worthy car yet lol I may tag along with one of my customers or wait a few months till I get my cadillac.

I understand. I'm still not sure? I might just tag one of my customers cars and display like I would on mine. They already said its not a problem so why not?

I understand. I'm still not sure? I might just tag one of my customers cars and display like I would on mine. They already said its not a problem so why not?

Sure if it's cool with your customer. I know a few of mine would let me. Just make sure you got nice looking brochures, cards, professional shirt ect

maybe even do a paint correction demo. Or have a junk panel with a 50/50 comparison.

I've often thought and still would like to get a beater car that has a ton of swirls, scratches and water spots etc. and do a multiple step paint correction on one half only and do what you are talking about with it. I think that is a way to make a beater show worthy.

I've often thought and still would like to get a beater car that has a ton of swirls, scratches and water spots etc. and do a multiple step paint correction on one half only and do what you are talking about with it. I think that is a way to make a beater show worthy.

That's another good idea....

Very nice.

I got these in thinking that I might start going to the local car shows and just park it and put some business cars and brochures in the windshield?

Any signage is better than no signage. Any Internet presence is better than no Internet presence.

In college I had a writing Teacher that shared her technique for getting past writer's block, it was real simple.

Take a piece of paper and write anything down. Now you can change it.

Her point was this:
Until you have something to change you cannot make any changes. So start by writing anything down and then get busy. Works for me.

My point is this:
You have "started". Now you can make changes, tweaks and upgrades. A trip of 1000 miles starts with the first step.

Congratulations on your first steps. Now keep reading, trying, learning and then when appropriate... make changes.

:dblthumb2:

Any signage is better than no signage. Any Internet presence is better than no Internet presence.

In college I had a writing Teacher that shared her technique for getting past writer's block, it was real simple.

Take a piece of paper and write anything down. Now you can change it.

Her point was this:
Until you have something to change you cannot make any changes. So start by writing anything down and then get busy. Works for me.

My point is this:
You have "started". Now you can make changes, tweaks and upgrades. A trip of 1000 miles starts with the first step.

Congratulations on your first steps. Now keep reading, trying, learning and then when appropriate... make changes.

:dblthumb2:

As always well put sir! I caught a lot of crap from some people I know when I mentioned even starting a side business detailing, but I'll never know if I don't try. This is why I'm taking baby steps. Once I get walking then I can learn to run.

I've been thinking about the EXACT same thing! My city has a huge auto show once a year and it's only $100 bucks to register for a booth. My plan for next year is to advertise for a free full detail with paint correction and only do one half the car, even on the interior too. The catch would be they have to let me show it off for a day at the car show. :)

Then I would just finish the other half after the show. It would be a win/win for everyone.

I've even thought about letting my work truck go for like a year with nothing but driving through the tunnel of shame for maintenance and then tape it off and do a 50/50 for a real life before and after everywhere I drive. Then I start to think how ghetto that would look and how irresponsible it would be to let my paint get that bad...

My plan for next year is to advertise for a free full detail with paint correction and only do one half the car

I've done this three time in my life with the following cars, somewhere I have pictures but not digital...

1959 Corvette
Copper Metallic with a LACQUER clear coat. The clear coat was completely swirled-out. I taped the car off right down the middle and only buffed out one side.

1983 Mercedes-Benz 380 SL Convertible
This car was a dark blue, completely oxidized and swirled out. I taped it right down the middle and buffed out only one side.

1934 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Coupe
This restored coupe was black and had extreme white overspray over the entire finish. I taped it off down the middle and only removed the overspray off of half the car and then polished the black paint to perfection all by hand.

If you do something like this be sure to have a Tri-fold brochure ready to hand out showcasing your business plus a business card.

I did get new customers from doing these types of extreme half & half makeovers but I probably would have obtained the same customers just from word-of-mouth business by buffing out the above cars anyways.

We've talked about the topic of working on Special Interest Vehicles in the past and it always comes down to earning the car owner's trust and this is usually done via a warm introduction by someone that already knows your qualifications and being able to talk intelligently about the art of detailing. Being able to walk the talk with a full-on demo just fortifies and strengthens the warm introduction and the ability to talk the talk.

:)

most car shows i was at are waist of time.
i wouldn`t windshield , hand them personal.

or wait a few months till I get my cadillac.

I've been dying to get a Caddy for several years now.... Black paint, chromed out, windows blacked out, sitting on 20's...... I love a really nice ghetto sled

Back