I had to document this one.... & Late Introduction

Theostoubos

Reaction score
Hi all,

This might become a bit long so please bear with me…
Please forgive my lack of etiquette for not properly introducing myself for such a long time. I have no excuse.

I’m Theodore. I’m originally from Greece but now live in Vancouver BC in Canada. Detailing became a serious hobby and obsession a few years ago. I have been a very loyal reader of Autogeek for years but only recently I started to post a bit more.

Slowly friends and neighbours took interest in the look of my cars and for a moment I thought to do it professionally, but after looking the whole thing from the professional point of view which I believe is way different than the hobbyist point of view I decided to remain a hobbyist.

Every now and then I will do a friend’s car. I try to work on cars of people that will promise to start taking care of them. Nothing annoys me more than to put my heart and soul to bring a car “back to life” only to have it “destroyed” again.

So Andrew promised me that from now on he will take care of his 1985 Black Porsche 944 Turbo and he asked me if I would like to work on his car. So one cloudy Saturday morning I ended up with this outside of my garage.

Here is the car on arrival….

1-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

For a few minutes I thought that I might have it easy but when I started to look closer I saw the first “bad” signs… Evidence of the previous guy. I’m pretty sure we have all seen them.

Polish and Wax Residue….

2-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

So first step was getting the car clean and stripping any protection in order to inspect the paint and get to see the real picture.

After snow foaming with Meguiars APC 4:1 and hand washing with all-time classic Dawn, and finally Claying with 3M Cleaner Clay, it was time to inspect the paint. Not very encouraging to say the least.

I was faced with all kind of defects, and the Black Flat paint was not forgiving at all. So have a look.

Front Right Fender… Can somebody tell me what can cause this ? I mean besides the swirls, what are these marks ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Part of the front hood. Unfortunately these RIDS that you see were too deep to correct 100 %. Everyone should know when to stop, and I did. It is better to explain to the client what a deep scratch is rather than what a strike through is….

4.jpg

10.jpg

Left Door
5.jpg

8.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

Front Left Fender
6.jpg

Roof
7.jpg

Right Door
9.jpg

Right Door – Quarter Panel
12.jpg

Quarter Panel
13.jpg

Anyway, enough with the “torture”… Lets move on….

The agreement with the owner was not to hunt perfection but to shoot for the best finish that I could accomplish within the weekend.

So after a quick test on the paint I decided on:

Optimum Hyper Compound on a LC Cyan Pad, followed by

Menzerna PO106 FA/SF4000 on a Tangerine HT pad.

I also tried finishing with Blackfire Finishing Polish and I was very pleasantly surprised with it as well.

Slowly but steady I was making some progress. This was my first time that I tried in the little time that I had, to document this and try some 50/50 and some before and after shots. So here is my effort on showing a bit of the story…. Don’t judge too hard and excuse my splatter….

Most 50/50 and Before / Afters are before finishing Polish and waxing. Just compounding.

50 /50 s

50505.jpg

50502.jpg

50503.jpg

50501.jpg

Completed
RearRightQuarterAfter.jpg

Before
RearLeftQuarterBefore.jpg

After
RearLeftQuarterAfter.jpg

Before
FenderLeft2Before.jpg

After
FenderLeftAfter1.jpg

FenderLeftAfter2.jpg

Before
3.jpg

After
IMG_2723.jpg

Last edited:
Re: I had to document his one.... & Late Introduction

Before
7.jpg

After
1-1.jpg

That last roof shot and correction was a tricky one. Someone once said “life is a like a box of chocolates. You never know what you ‘re gonna get”…. Well after I started compounding that roof this is what I ended up with…. Single Stage…

d96cf96e.jpg

After the end of day 1 there was just a bit of compounding left to be done. But I was definitely feeling that I was getting somewhere…. One of my favorites…..

FenderLeft1Before.jpg

Next day I started early and after finishing the little compounding that was left to be done, the car was taken out to be foamed again and power washed in order to get rid of all the dusting from the compounding.

Finishing was done mainly with Menzerna SF 4000 and in some parts or panels I tried some Blackfire Finishing Polish. I was very happy with it.

After a thorough IPA wipe down the car was ready for LSP.
NO fancy stuff here. Two coats of Collinite 845 by a PC7424 and then one coat of Zymol Creame by hand.

Didn’t have time to do a lot more, further than the paint, so I dressed the tires and treated the faded plastic trims. The main focus was the paint so please don’t judge too hard.

It was time to get the car out in the sun and get some final shots. I was very lucky as the sun is definitely not so generous with us here in British Columbia.

So here are some final shots… I think it turned out pretty good considering where I started.

Enjoy and Thank You reading.
Theo.

6-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

162.jpg

15.jpg

7-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

15.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

31.jpg

41.jpg

P1020887.jpg

P1020890.jpg

Re: I had to document his one.... & Late Introduction

P1020895.jpg

19.jpg

That seemed long…

Again ...Thanks for reading and thank you all for teaching me all this stuff.

Theo

PS special thanks to : Mike Phillips, BobbyG, CEE DOG, Sportscarhiatus, Tuscarora Dave and many more that I cannot remember right off my mind right now.

:buffing::thankyousign::thankyousign::thankyousign::buffing::dblthumb2:

Wow, the reflection on this thing is incredible!
I hope I can one day achieve results like this!
Incredible work!

:welcome: To Autogeek Online Theodore!! :props:

Sort of an official welcome!! :xyxthumbs:

At first I thought that Porsche appears to be in decent shape bit because of some great photos what looked good was actually pretty well abused.

I'm amazed / impressed with the final product and the car now has new life! :props:

Tremendous work and documentation to back it up!! :props: :props:

Thanks for the Kudo's!! :dblthumb2:

Some of those 50/50 shots and next day reflections are just inspiring. Fantastic job!!!

Those marks you were pointing out, I normally see those when something is in constant contact with the car but is "shifted" often, so it almost looks like sanding marks but much much lighter. Almost like a piece of cardboard or a horrible car cover is rubbing on it in a fairly consistent basis and over a period of time, marks like these happen.

Of course there's more than one way they could develop, I'm interested to see if anyone else has dealt with them and possibly narrowed down other possible causes.

Excellent job!

You didn't mention the owner's reaction. :-(

Like road rage said, I think they look like very light wetsanding marks.

I wonder if a previous detail or repaint (the single stage roof could be a clue to this) was not properly finished or as he said, something rubbing on the paint.

Regardless, it looks great now. WEll done. And Welcome to AG.

Welcome!! Great job on that black Porsche.

Insane revival - fantastic work. Makes me wish I owned a black vehicle!!

Great job. This is my favorite era of porsche. And btw, a lot of times those marks can come from your clay bar. Either to aggresive of clay or too much pressure. I have seen it first hand when I first started.

Wow, the reflection on this thing is incredible!
I hope I can one day achieve results like this!
Incredible work!

Thank you. As for the results I'm sure that one day you will achieve the same if not better. :props::props::props:

:welcome: To Autogeek Online Theodore!! :props:

Sort of an official welcome!! :xyxthumbs:

At first I thought that Porsche appears to be in decent shape bit because of some great photos what looked good was actually pretty well abused.

I'm amazed / impressed with the final product and the car now has new life! :props:

Tremendous work and documentation to back it up!! :props: :props:

Thanks for the Kudo's!! :dblthumb2:

Thank You Bobby. I appreciate the kind words. I had the same first impression as well. But then I went closer and started to see the true condition. After stripping I realized that the previous guy or even the owner heavily glazed the paint to mask all these defects. Then as soon as i shed some light I knew I was in for good.

Some of those 50/50 shots and next day reflections are just inspiring. Fantastic job!!!

Those marks you were pointing out, I normally see those when something is in constant contact with the car but is "shifted" often, so it almost looks like sanding marks but much much lighter. Almost like a piece of cardboard or a horrible car cover is rubbing on it in a fairly consistent basis and over a period of time, marks like these happen.

Of course there's more than one way they could develop, I'm interested to see if anyone else has dealt with them and possibly narrowed down other possible causes.

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Excellent job!

You didn't mention the owner's reaction. :-(

Thank you. You 're right, I didn't. The owner was really happy and in a way pleasantly surprised of the final outcome, as his past experience with "detailers" was not the one that he should have had. When he came to pick the car up he couldn't take his eyes off from it and kept on saying "i cant believe this is my car".

Last night I emailed him the link as well. He should be very happy.

Although in my surprise and in a completely unexpected way the car was SOLD after two weeks. !!! Yeah I know.... what you might think, but he got an amazing deal for it and he went ahead and got an almost identical 1987 Black Porsche 944 modified with a V8 Camaro engine on it.

She is now at the paint shop for some cosmetic job and as soon as she is done needless to say I will have my hands on her as well.

Look amazing. Fantastic job! :xyxthumbs:

Thank you.

Like road rage said, I think they look like very light wetsanding marks.

I wonder if a previous detail or repaint (the single stage roof could be a clue to this) was not properly finished or as he said, something rubbing on the paint.

Regardless, it looks great now. WEll done. And Welcome to AG.

Thats exactly what I think as well. They do look like very light sanding marks. I was also thinking of improper use and technique of Clay...

Welcome!! Great job on that black Porsche.

Thank you.

I also screwed up on one of the photos in the write up. Its one that I took towards the end of day 1 and it is one of my favorites...so here you are..

IMG_2719.jpg

Those final shots are awesome!! I wish I could see it up close.
Haha you said not to judge to harshly! On what exactly? All I can see is a job more then well done! I would love to get that car back as an owner and drool over it daily!
Again beautiful work!

Oh yeah, your poor cyan pad took a beating too. Looks like tar. I don't like SS paint because of that.

Those final shots are awesome!! I wish I could see it up close.
Haha you said not to judge to harshly! On what exactly? All I can see is a job more then well done! I would love to get that car back as an owner and drool over it daily!
Again beautiful work!

Oh yeah, your poor cyan pad took a beating too. Looks like tar. I don't like SS paint because of that.

Thank you for the kind words.

I was a bit concerned if the pictures would reproduce what I was seeing and feeling in front of me. But judging from the response so far, everythign worked out pretty good.

As for the pad, you will be surprised what an overnight soak in a mixture of Megs APC, Dawn and a touch of Megs Gegreaser can do. Like New....

I have to say that I will think twice using Optimum Hyper Compound again. It dusts considerably less but it leaves an oily-like residue on the pad that its not really easy to get out.

Thanks Again

Excellent work period. I think you had the right idea about not trying for ultimate perfection, especially on 27 year old paint. However the turnaround of the condition of the old Porsche is fantastic and I bet the owner was pleased.

Welcome to AGO! I have to agree with the previous comment, judge too harsh on what? You did a fantastic job! Thanks for sharing! :)

Back