Is flex 3401 better then the griots da.

68bowtie

Reaction score
I have a griots da and have been doing more cars and was wondering if its worth it to move up to the flex3401.

Congrats on more cars !
I've seen nothing but good post & video about the newest flex model.
Don't think to hard about it, if the funds are there pull the trigger.

Same situation I had last year. I can say that the flex cut my time down a lot. Still use the GG though. If you have the $$ to spend, its worth it, if not, buy another GG. I was worried about being 1/2 done correcting a car and the GG crap out. If you have only 1 machine then what?

I have a gg6 and an old rotary. I've been thinking about the flex as a nice in between tool. From what I understand about its forced rotation, it isn't exactly comparable to a traditional DA. So I wouldn't mind having a flex, but not because it is better but bevause it is different than my DA.

Its not a business just something I do on the side. Between my 4 cars my parents 3 and my friends and rest of family it ads up. I might start doing some on the side for money also. I'm just wondering if the flex is going to do a better job of correcting and do it faster.

The Flex won't get you "better" results if that is what you are looking for. You can get a vehicles paint damn near perfect with the GG DA, even more so now with all the advances in pad and product combos.

I would, however, be hesitant to take on a paint correction with only one machine. The Flex will get it done faster, but that doesn't mean better. I still think that there is a place for both of them. I use the Flex more for one steps and AIO, for correction I like rotary then GG DA.

If the funds are there, I say get it. You will like it.

I'm going to start doing some more aio because on a lot of myself friends cars that's all they want so I'm thinking the flex would work better for that.

I guess it is a matter of opinion and definition of better. The Flex is better made. It corrects faster. It IS smoother. The GG is very adequate and does a great job. And it does not have a mind of its own like the 3401. I love my 3401 but sometimes it wants to go for a walk. It takes some practice to get used to it. If you have a tough correction problem, I haven't found anything better than the 3401, surbuf and Meg's 105.

The Flex won't get you "better" results if that is what you are looking for. You can get a vehicles paint damn near perfect with the GG DA, even more so now with all the advances in pad and product combos.

I would, however, be hesitant to take on a paint correction with only one machine. The Flex will get it done faster, but that doesn't mean better. I still think that there is a place for both of them. I use the Flex more for one steps and AIO, for correction I like rotary then GG DA.

If the funds are there, I say get it. You will like it.
The flex is the best of both worlds! Better than a traditional DA WHICH WILL STOP when extra force needs to be applied for tough corrections, and not as distructive as a rotary if your new to the detail business.......the FLEX 3401 is defiantly something you can grow into and continue to learn as you go! Good luck with your choice! I haven't looked back since I got my Flex! Best buffer EVER IMHO.

With the backing plate that comes with the flex can u use the 5.5 hydro pads or do u need a different backing plate. That's my deal breaker now. I just bought a bunch of 5.5pads and don't want to have to buy a new backing plate for it.

Because of its design, the Flex 3401 would be my choice hands down. I like its ergonomic design, forced rotation, and size. The trigger and speed controls are right where they should be making adjustments easy and quick..:props:

With the backing plate that comes with the flex can u use the 5.5 hydro pads or do u need a different backing plate. That's my deal breaker now. I just bought a bunch of 5.5pads and don't want to have to buy a new backing plate for it.

You need a smaller BP.

Not everyon can use the3401. Its like V8 cars are not for everyone nor is 3401. It has lots of power, if you can't control it you are defeating the purpose of having one.

Same situation I had last year. I can say that the flex cut my time down a lot. Still use the GG though. If you have the $$ to spend, its worth it, if not, buy another GG. I was worried about being 1/2 done correcting a car and the GG crap out. If you have only 1 machine then what?

Lifetime warranty, did you send it back to them? If so, have them install the 25 foot cord into the repaired unit, I wish I had done this when I ordered my GG machine new!

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. Instead of buying the 3401, I bought a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads and it really made a big difference. For now I am no longer thinking of buying the 3401.

Back