Question about Megs MG 7

Dugdug

Reaction score
I just picked some up. I'm looking for a 1 step. I don't need a whole lot of cut. Just something with a little cut that finishes well and has some filler properties. I did a search on the forum. Didn't find much about #7 specifically. Any thoughts?

Um...that's not the first way I would have gone, even OTC. I don't think it's going to do what you want. It's not going to have really any cut, and it's not going to remove easily.

When you say 1-step, are you looking for some protection as well? There's a lot of options for that kind of thing.

Possibly. What would you recommend OTC?

You could use Meg's ColorX, although I haven't. I think you'd be better off with a gallon of Poli-Seal/GPS or D151 from here, if you are using it for customers.

You could use Meg's ColorX, although I haven't. I think you'd be better off with a gallon of Poli-Seal/GPS or D151 from here, if you are using it for customers.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks

The link was eye opening. I assumed it was a glaze sealer. Now I've got to do my daughter's car again. It did polish up nicely, though!

try Meg's MG #6 cleaner wax. its got some cut (did my whole car with it by hand), is pretty easy to work with, and does leave behind some protection. But with any AIO, never rely on it alone for solid protection. I did half my hood with it, half without, and looked at it under flourescent lighting. its no dedicated compound, but there definately was a difference, and left a very slick and shiny surface

AIO with great protection and cleaning ability - DG 501
AOI with great cut and correction but little protection - Megs D151

If you use Megs # 6 try topping it with Collonite or another long lasting LSP.

#7 has zero cut.

Correct. It is a pure polish and by Meguiar's definition, "pure" means non-abrasive, non-cleaning.

It is just a filler glaze.

And a miracle product if you're into classic cars with original single stage paint. It's a very interesting product that's been around since the Model T, the car that transitioned our Grandparents off riding horses and driving what we now use the generic term for when we say car.

:D

AIO with great protection and cleaning ability - DG 501
AOI with great cut and correction but little protection - Megs D151

If you use Megs # 6 try topping it with Collonite or another long lasting LSP.

+1. I would go with D151 for a great AIO with more cut and correction in it and chase that with your favourite LSP.

By the way it smells like that modeling clay used in school. I assume it's got a bunch of kaolin in it as a filler? It's actually not bad to get off if you're quick--you don't want it drying.

Does anyone know if I can put 845 over #7 or do I need to strip it first?

I assume it's got a bunch of kaolin in it as a filler?

I've been in a laboratory and seen a version of kaolin clay that was a vapor...

I think too many people would think of it in some other form, such as a heavy powder or actually a clay type product but this stuff was simply smoke.

:)

We're going to machine apply #7 before sealing the paint on this old 2-door Ford...

Sign-up: 1970 Mustang Machine Polishing Clinic - June 21st

Starting at 5:00pm we will be going over tips and techniques to machine polish paint on this 1970 Mustang. If you look down the page a little way you will see that while it looks shiny in the picture the paint has swirls, scratches and light oxidation that we're going to remove and then create a true show car finish.

We will be broadcasting this machine polishing clinic live!

* Limited to the first 12 people that sign-up.

Here's Don's Mustang, looks pretty good to the average person...
1970Mustang001.jpg

1970Mustang002.jpg

1970Mustang003.jpg

1970Mustang004.jpg

When you know how to truly inspect the finish on a Special Interest Car then you know there's a little room for improvement and if you think this car looks good in the above pictures wait till we warm it over by MACHINE! :buffing:
1970Mustang005.jpg

This is a full size section cropped out of the original above, no resizing.
1970Mustang005c.jpg

Oxidized Single Stage Paint
The below is a reflection shot of the overhead florescent tube lights, what I want you to see is the dull, opaque look the paint has at the bottom of the reflection of the lights. This is light oxidation and even though the car looks beautiful in the pictures above, in person the paint has a dull sheen to it caused by oxidation. This is a single stage paint by the way.
1970Mustang006.jpg

:D

Here's what we're slated to use on the single stage enamel paint this coming Thursday night...

1970MustangMach1001.jpg

We'll machine apply the #7 after any correction work and before the application of the wax.

:)

Back