Ready to purchase first buffer...

craz0boy

Reaction score
But cant make up my mind which way to go so you fellow geeks are going to help me! :D I've been looking up/doing research and using a DA looks pretty straight forward. Should I just get the Griots Garage DA get used to it then later on buy the Flex 3401? Or Flex first then later on GG to use for simple stuff like waxing and as a back up? Keep in mind I do have mobile detailing biz and want to start offering paint correction. Also price doesn't matter just want to here some opinions. Thanks in advance!

I love my GG. If you got the money, get the flex.

They both have advantages, if I were starting out and developing skills while charging I think I'd opt for the GG6 then work up from there. It's not like in the future if you decide to advance to the Flex the GG will go to waste.

If you already have buffing experience, skip the DA and get a nice rotary.

If you know how to use a buffer and are just stuck on wanting a DA, I can't blame you, and recommend the 3401.

If you're a newbie with paint correction, don't get the Flex for now. It will work you to death. Get something that isn't so powerful until you're comfortable and ready to move up.

I have both Makita 9227c and Flex 3401 and they make a great couple.

Get a Griots Garage DA and a micro fiber system like the Meguiars DA Micro fiber 5"...

The 3401 has a learning curve that might scare beginners, so does the rotary... They are not hard to use, but not as easy as a regular DA.

This kit, plus some brushes, APC and claybars will Do for now, before you drop too much money and get too many repeats..

Keep in mind the GG has a lot of power and it seems like great idea. However, if your new all that power may be too much. It seems like there have been more a few people burning up pads around here either with GG running on 5 or 6. Maybe get a PC instead.
Also, I would only consider microfiber pads/system if your finish is in worse than average shape. They remover more clear coat than foam pads (typically). I think a lot of people use them for the ease of use and great results, but don't consider they may be removing more clear coat then necessary.

I have a 1st Gen PC7424 and a Flex3401, and the only time I use my PC is when I am working small areas or just want to very carefull with thin paint. That being said I have had more incidents with damaging paint with my PC than even my rotary or 3401. I would say that if you are looking at doing paint correction and want tool that you can use start to finish then the 3401 is the way to go; especially with the LC BP system available now. Even for wax I use the 3401 most the time.
Hope that gives you some incite.

Sold my 3401 and gg6. Pcxp is the one left and happy with my decisions.

I had a gg6 and just sold it and bought the flex. I've only been doing this for a yr and just for family and friends and wish I would of bought the flex first I would of been money ahead. I say don't waste extra $ and just get the flex right away.

Opposite for me. Bought the pcxp then gg6 and 3401 last. If the mf pads technology was only released in 2009, i should have not bought the gg6 and 3401. Waste of money for me. Pcxp is enough.

Agree!
A PCxp with micro fiber pads will tackle 90% of the paint systems out there, and since he is just starting, 90% is a big deal.

I haven't touched my rotary since I got The Optimum MF pads.

Agree!
A PCxp with micro fiber pads will tackle 90% of the paint systems out there, and since he is just starting, 90% is a big deal.

I haven't touched my rotary since I got The Optimum MF pads.

So basically your saying I can get the same results with a PCxp with MF pads as I would with the flex? And is there correction time difference between say a flex or a PCxp? Like I said above I will eventually be using it for my biz once I have practiced and got the hang if it and feel comfortable working on a clients vehicle. And time is money so the faster I can finish the better. I think I would probably want to use 6 or 6.5 pads

So basically your saying I can get the same results with a PCxp with MF pads as I would with the flex? And is there correction time difference between say a flex or a PCxp? Like I said above I will eventually be using it for my biz once I have practiced and got the hang if it and feel comfortable working on a clients vehicle. And time is money so the faster I can finish the better. I think I would probably want to use 6 or 6.5 pads

IME correction time is almost the same when using mf pads on a da and 3401 using foam pads. I use only 4in pads with my pcxp. The larger the pad, the less aggressive it is on a da.

i would either get the GG6 or G110v2, although there is a new DA coming out elsewhere that looks promising, and i look forward to reviews on it...

If your not going to get tea flex get the gg6 its got the most power out of the regular DA's and its got a lifetime warrenty ands the same price.

i have a gg6 and the PC and love both. i will be getting the 3401 when one craps out. the 3401 is the cream of the crop . take the plung once and never look back. it will grow with you.

It wouldn't hurt to buy a DA like the GG or Megs first, get comfortable with the DA and then get the Flex 3401. I went that route and I use the Megs for small areas with a 4" pad and the Flex with 61/2 inch pads. It's faster then changing backing plates and pads. Also if you are fortunate to have a helper, each one can work at the same time.

Just keep in mind the Flex has overheating problems and it also eats backing plates for breakfest.

The Griots and a cheap power cord, and the later year models have less power than the older ones. But it does have great warranty.

The PCxp is heavy duty, you can drop it and go on like nothing happened..

Back