Help with my car?

detailingkid

Reaction score
Hey guys i just snapped some pics of my car and the problems of my concern that i am trying to fix. From my observation the paint is not of terrible condition and i have minor problems. I am picking up a DA polisher soon and is asking for products that you will think will help. I do have some megs UC and UP. I used these products by hand but not really helpful. If it helps from compounding i think i have single stage paint. Thanks

3rd photo: That looks like some chemical spill. Try a Tar remover along with some IronX as a prep step before the claying process. Once you're done claying, give it a light polish with something like Meguiars 205 on a White Flat 4" pad... If you can get away with that, fine, otherwise step up to D300 on a Micro Fiber cutting pad.

1st photo: Can't see it very well, but that's either water spots or clear coat failure... It REALLY looks like clear coat failure..

2nd photo: Bad touch up paint. Wet sand it with 1500 + 2500 grit and compound with D300 and that micro fiber pad as explained.

All the other photos just require some compound and polishing to level the paint and bring the gloss up.

3rd photo: That looks like some chemical spill. Try a Tar remover along with some IronX as a prep step before the claying process. Once you're done claying, give it a light polish with something like Meguiars 205 on a White Flat 4" pad... If you can get away with that, fine, otherwise step up to D300 on a Micro Fiber cutting pad.

1st photo: Can't see it very well, but that's either water spots or clear coat failure... It REALLY looks like clear coat failure..

2nd photo: Bad touch up paint. Wet sand it with 1500 + 2500 grit and compound with D300 and that micro fiber pad as explained.

All the other photos just require some compound and polishing to level the paint and bring the gloss up.

I honestly dont think its clear coat failure because i grabbed the hose and tried hosing the dust off one day and i think i caused the spots (stupid me) by not wiping it off, just letting it sit there. With the second photo its definitely not touch up paint because i have some and its nothing like that nor did i ever put some on there. Not to be rude but i have had the car awhile and the imperfections weren't there before. But thanks for your insight.

How old is the car? Is it original paint? In your hand polishing attempts, did your pads or applicators take on the color of the car's paint? You might have better luck using a chemical approach when working with metallic single stage paints like that, if in fact is single stage. In your original post you don't sound like you're sure if it is or isn't single stage, hence the question about your pads turning the color of the paint or not.

If it's single stage metallic paint, I'd give it a good heavy rubdown with Meg's No.7 Showcar Glaze by hand and then on another day, use Poorboy's Pro Polish with a DA and foam polish pad. You can go at single stage metallic paint with abrasive compounds and cut clean into the primer before ever really getting a great glossy effect.

Last edited:
How old is the car? Is it original paint? In your hand polishing attempts, did your pads or applicators take on the color of the car's paint? You might have better luck using a chemical approach when working with metallic single stage paints like that, if in fact is single stage. In your original post you don't sound like you're sure if it is or isn't single stage, hence the question about your pads turning the color of the paint or not.

If it's single stage metallic paint, I'd give it a good heavy rubdown with Meg's No.7 Showcar Glaze by hand and then use Poorboy's Pro Polish with a DA and foam polish pad. You can go at single stage metallic paint with abrasive compounds and cut clean into the primer before ever really getting a great glossy effect.

From what i read on the paints im almost positive its single stage. While using megs uc by hand the car paint was on the pad and mf towel. The paint is original excepts for the left side where it was repainted because of an accident.

The last thing you want to do is to wet sand single stage metallic paint.

From what i read on the paints im almost positive its single stage. While using megs uc by hand the car paint was on the pad and mf towel. The paint is original excepts for the left side where it was repainted because of an accident.
OK it's definitely single stage. Your pads didn't turn black at all? (that would suggest aluminum was used as the metal flake which would make it even more delicate) I would really suggest following my suggestions because it is going to to be the least aggressive method at getting decent results.

OK it's definitely single stage. Your pads didn't turn black at all? (that would suggest aluminum was used as the metal flake which would make it even more delicate) I would really suggest following my suggestions because it is going to to be the least aggressive method at getting decent results.

damn my memory is some crap. i think they did though

The paint is original excepts for the left side where it was repainted because of an accident.
Did the repainted areas act the same as the rest of the car or did they not transfer the color to the pads as well? Sometimes body shops will use a base coat clear coat system on a repaired area to try to get a good color and metallic match. You need to know what you have to work with before you get too far into working to correct it.

damn my memory is some crap. i think they did though
Do a little more testing, no big deal.

Whether or not it is aluminum flake, I'd still suggest feeding the paint with the oils in Meg's Number 7 before attempting any other paint correction. It will make the paint much healthier and much more polish-able. Some dried up neglected single stage paints, especially metallics just crumble to nothing when you start to machine polish them without first bringing the paint to a more healthy oil rich condition.

Back