Need some help with my calipers!

Drunken Yak inc

Reaction score
Ladies and gentleman, I need your help!

First, let me introduce myself,

My name is Beck, and I have an addiction. There. I feel better all ready. Now down to business.

Tonight, I modified a process in the way I detail my rims, tires and brake calipers. Normally, I would just put my car on jack stands and remove the rims to properly clean them and the calipers (and my Tein coilovers on occasion). However last time I did that, I didn't have the jack seated properly on the center cross member, which caused the jack to slip and do this:

(Bent upper and lower radiator supports)
eb7d90bd.jpg

Having just replaced those damaged bits, and not wanting to have a repeat, I decided to use Griots Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner and their wheel cleaning tools to clean my rims, granted a little over kill as I've only driven this car maybe 15 miles since my last cleaning (this passed weekend)... But I was anxious to use this product. Here is the result of using that product:

b3f9b07c.jpg

812c62bb.jpg

Any ideas on what it is exactly I'm dealing with here? At first I thought it was a film, and I tried using a mild cleaner with a rag, however that was only a minor improvement:

23319ef3.jpg

The flash makes it appear to be better then what it is (on top). Any ideas as to why this has happened? I want to believe that it is just a reaction to the coating of wax I had previously applied to them... And that if I strip said wax everything will be okay... But the way my luck has been going lately I may be looking at a refinish. Oh, and it should be noted that these calipers are 7-months old with around 2,000 miles on them. Last cleaning agent used was Wolfgang Auto Bathe.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

It was probably from the wheel cleaner. Try some polish an see if it removes it at all. May take a bit I elbow grease but it should remove it.

I probably would have left the first part of that story off the site. lol

It was probably from the wheel cleaner. Try some polish an see if it removes it at all. May take a bit I elbow grease but it should remove it.

:iagree:

Just looks like the finish on the calipers is sensitive, so I would be careful around them.

I hope your right, I will not be happy if I have to strip and repaint.

I probably would have left the first part of that story off the site. lol

Eh, I just wanted to explain why I changed my method of wheel cleaning. We all make mistakes, if I can't laugh at my own bouts of stupidity, then I have no right laughing at others. :xyxthumbs:

:iagree:

Just looks like the finish on the calipers is sensitive, so I would be careful around them.

I just can't imagine why a company would have such a weak coating on an object that is designed for such brutal environments? If that is in fact the case, does anyone know if Brembo's finish is more resilient? Is there a cleaner that you would recommend?

Eh, I just wanted to explain why I changed my method of wheel cleaning. We all make mistakes, if I can't laugh at my own bouts of stupidity, then I have no right laughing at others. :xyxthumbs:
Just having a little fun. It's not like I don't have my share of oops's. lol :poke:

Remove the wheel and try to hand polish the paint.

Chances are good it's single stage and more porous than a clear coat finish and thus easily stained.

Use a cleaner/wax maybe and then seal or Opti-Coat or....

:)

Most EVO VIII's and IX's have "pink" calipers that were once red, its not the wheel cleaner, its the process Brembo uses to powder coat the calipers. I agree, try and hand polish them out and see how it goes.

Hey man, at least the jack didnt slip while you were under the car.. Close one!

It looks almost as if the finish has been clouded by a chemical reaction. As the others say, try some polish and see if it improves.

I just can't imagine why a company would have such a weak coating on an object that is designed for such brutal environments? If that is in fact the case, does anyone know if Brembo's finish is more resilient? Is there a cleaner that you would recommend?

The Brembo's on my car have held up to many wheel cleaners and APC's. I have used a very fine polish on them once and it made them look a little more cleaner.

Yeah I done plenty of Evo's with heavy wheel cleaners and never had a problem. Also they are not powder coated. They use cheap clearcoat on them. Heat+plus cheap cc= pealing.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate your help! I'll try buffing them tonight and let you all know how it went.

Not to be a downer. But inless Stoptech does something differently, you might/probably have to get them repainted. Owning 2 Evo's, ive been through this and when they get hot or old, it fades and turns pink. Nothing was able to bring them back. I use sonax on all the wheel stuff, followed by either OCW or 845.

Let me ask this...where the calipers hot when you used the wheel cleaner?

Not to be a downer. But inless Stoptech does something differently, you might/probably have to get them repainted. Owning 2 Evo's, ive been through this and when they get hot or old, it fades and turns pink. Nothing was able to bring them back. I use sonax on all the wheel stuff, followed by either OCW or 845.

Unfortunately you are correct, it is inevitable. However, this time Meg's 105 worked like a champ! I'll post a pic after I'm finished in the garage.

Let me ask this...where the calipers hot when you used the wheel cleaner?

No sir, Racheal had been sitting in the garage for about 6 hours before being cleaned. Prior to that was a 3-mile trip home from work to switch vehicles before the rain was supposed to hit.

Thanks for the help guys, I would have started in a much harsher fashion then what was necessary! :dblthumb2:

78a8e10f.jpg

Back