How long does it take you?

Scatman320

Reaction score
How long would it take you to do one of these details on a small car? I'm going to try to detail my subaru impreza before the weekend and was wondering if I had enough time to do all of the following.
wash & dry
wheel dressing
clay
swirl remove
polish
sealant
wax

Any input is good input for me at this point. It took me around 5 hours total for a wash, clay, and wax on a Toyota Highlander. So, I am quite worried about my time limit.

I'd say 8-10 hours, maybe a little more with your double LSP. Do a test spot first, so you don't polish the whole car and find out you're not getting the results you want.

When I first started doing this type of work it took me about 15 hours. a few years of constant practice and more efficient tools, product and technique, it would now probably take me about 6-7 hours. A lot of Subaru paint is on the softer side but every now and then I get one that surprisingly has pretty hard to correct paint. Never assume that the next one is just like the last one you did. "Always" do a test session before just going at it. Of course the sealant should fully cure before topping with wax. so there's time to account for there too that's not in my figure.

Okay I will do that, Setec. Thank you very much for your help. Also, I am going to use a 6" orange pad to start. Do you have any tips for front bumpers with a pad that big? I'd say my biggest problem would be slinging product everywhere with it.

Great! Dave thank you for your advice. If the paint is on the softer side, it will go smoother and quicker, right?

how long would it take if the polish, wax, swirl was a one step process and you did everything else mentioned by the OP?

thanks

I just did my DD 2001 Impreza, it took me about 7 hours total. Although with 193K I was not looking for perfection, just wanted to get some more shine out of it.

Great! Dave thank you for your advice. If the paint is on the softer side, it will go smoother and quicker, right?
Generally speaking, softer paint typically is corrected of the swirls and light scratches easier and quicker than with harder paint, but the finishing steps can be a little more tricky with soft paint.

how long would it take if the polish, wax, swirl was a one step process and you did everything else mentioned by the OP?

thanks
There's no real way to answer that, because it would really depend on a lot of differing variables such as paint hardness, ambient temperature, working in or out of the sun, how aggressive or non aggressive the AIO is, what machine you're using, what pads you're using, how developed your technique is at using said machine etc. etc.

Having said all of that, it could take less time to do a swirl removal with an abrasive polish and then apply a sealant than it might working with an AIO, or it could go the other way. All situations are different and that's why the testing phase in the beginning of the job is so important. It is in the testing of the products, pads, machine, machine speed, technique etc. etc. on the actual car at the beginning of the job where you will get the answers to your questions.

a good 8-10 hours if you are used to doing it. plan on an all day affair!

or do like some folks and do a panel after each weekly wash and in a month u will have it done.

One thing I've never claimed is to be the fastest...

:laughing:

I would love to take my time and to be honest, there is no way around speeding up quality. That is for sure. Since A.P.A.D threw out the suggestion to space out the polishing, how exactly do you do that? It's my daily driver and it gets dirty somewhat quick since I live in West Virginia. There's usually dirt on the roads that I have to drive through and I'd be concerned about putting new scratches into the polished area from the dirt on the unpolished areas of the car.

I use a flex 3401 with an orange cut pad and white polishing pad m105 and 205 full exterior interior and engine it would take me 8 hours

I would love to take my time and to be honest, there is no way around speeding up quality. That is for sure. Since A.P.A.D threw out the suggestion to space out the polishing, how exactly do you do that? It's my daily driver and it gets dirty somewhat quick since I live in West Virginia. There's usually dirt on the roads that I have to drive through and I'd be concerned about putting new scratches into the polished area from the dirt on the unpolished areas of the car.

you wash it once a week right? do your usual wash. then pick a panel, lets start with the hood. clay the hood, do your 2 step polish on the hood only. seal the hood then apply the wax after the sealant has cured.

a week later, wash the whole car, pick another panel and do the same steps on that panel. after a month or so, you will have your vehicle completely polished and protected.

MY NO MEANS skip the washing part, because u are absolutely correct, the paint is dirty.

:props:

Start to finish it has taken me about 12 hours on full correction. I feel slow. But those all included full engine detail as well and dressing the interior.

I always feel like I'm way too slow. Around 10 to 12 hours for me. Although I just manned up and bought a flex rotary. Scary as $hit the first time I did a section pass but after a little while it was awesome. I'm hoping it will cut some time now.

I just bought a flex as well.. kind of nervous about using it as well. I'm going to have to test it out on my wife's car first. not jacking up my ride lol

I just bought a flex as well.. kind of nervous about using it as well. I'm going to have to test it out on my wife's car first. not jacking up my ride lol

I found when using the flex 3401with flat pads it can pull a little if you tilt it one way or another. So it kinda teaches you how to keep the machine in its sweet spot

I started on my Black Cobra Mustang, my first real correction. With my bad back and this real hot weather we have been having I couldn't do the whole car. So I washed with dawn, clayed it, then using the Meg's DA MF system I did the hood, roof, trunk, spoiler, the pillars, and the tops of the F/R quarter panels. I was and still am learning. Then I did an ipa and sealed those panels with 2 coats of Optima UPG+. That was 2 weeks ago. My AC broke so the car was either in my garage or the mechanics garage. I'll work on the front quarters and the doors next. So I will be doing it by breaking it down to panels. For me I felt it was important to get the top 1/2 protected first. I did do the rest of the car with Ultima QW to have some protection on it until I can get to it. But it is not my DD. Dave

Back