Opinions on a California Duster

Wayneezy

Reaction score
I have a greystone metallic silverado. I bought one of these but havent used it yet. Keep or return ? And why ? Thanks in advance

I've never had any success with dusters. They have a tendancy to mar the paint. You're better off with a little QD and a microfiber towel for minor dust.

Keep it. I've had many of them. I've also had the cheaper brand ones. The California ones are the best. Thy do a good job for a quick wipe down of just sitting dust, NOT days of accumulation.

They are great for removing DUST not dirt.

:iagree:You can get away with it on white and silver. Anytime you dry wipe you stand the risk of marring. I know that the CD has wax to pick up the dirt, but it's still relatively dry.
I've never had any success with dusters. They have a tendancy to mar the paint. You're better off with a little QD and a microfiber towel for minor dust.

I'm not sure how people are using these things that they are getting maring, but I use them on my black car with no problem. A couple of points:

1. They are only useful on a car kept in a garage. Any car that sits outside for an extended period would likely be too dirty to use these on. Or, if using on a non garaged vehicle, it would have to be the first day or so after washing and not driven in the rain.

2. The correct way to use these it to hold them above the paint so the fibers are only touching the paint a little. The wrong way is to use it like your mopping the floor with the weight of the handle on the paint.

3. They are for dust only. They are not called Dirt Removers, but Dusters. Any accumulation of film, road grime, or bird sh*t on the paint won't do.

4. Shake it out frequently and always store in the bag it came in in the case it came with. Never use it on a wet car.

They are great for removing dust for the first day or two after you wash, or after the first couple rides after on a garage kept car. If you use it this way, the fibers are applying almost zero pressure to remove the dust on the surface. I actually think its probably safer than using a towel with any detail spray or similar, as the detail spray decreases the friction , but the weight of your hand on the towel still exists when you wipe. The duster is removing the dust in almost a weight free manor. Unless your clear coat is abnormally soft I don't see how removing dust with one of the could scratch it.

Keep it. I have 3 of them and love it. They are great to remove dust and pollen. If your car sit outside over night and have a coat of mist on top, then it's too late because the dust/pollen already "stuck" into the paint. However, it works great for garage kept cars.

Do you know that the OP car is garaged kept?
Keep it. I have 3 of them and love it. They are great to remove dust and pollen. If your car sit outside over night and have a coat of mist on top, then it's too late because the dust/pollen already "stuck" into the paint. However, it works great for garage kept cars.

Keep it. Listen to the others. Use it correctly and you will be fine.

I have had one for years and use it almost every day. I have a Granite Gray Metallic 2007 Chevy Equinox. If used properly and follow the advise given in previous posts, you should have no problems at all.

Do you know that the OP car is garaged kept?

Garage kept or not, i'd still keep it because if used property, it WORKS regardless of color of vehicle. I've had black, silver, white, red, diamond graphite colors and never had a problem. I have one CD that's 12 years old and still going strong.

I actually think its probably safer than using a towel with any detail spray or similar, as the detail spray decreases the friction , but the weight of your hand on the towel still exists when you wipe. The duster is removing the dust in almost a weight free manor. Unless your clear coat is abnormally soft I don't see how removing dust with one of the could scratch it.
I agree with this.

Sorry I don't agree. Soft back paint and a CD don't mix.
Garage kept or not, i'd still keep it because if used property, it WORKS regardless of color of vehicle. I've had black, silver, white, red, diamond graphite colors and never had a problem. I have one CD that's 12 years old and still going strong.

I would not use one. The chance of marring paint is just not worth it.

I think they are great! I've been using them for almost 30 years. I lightly glide the CD over the surface and never had a problem. I've had customer get themselves a CD after seeing me use one on their car, and later they tell me how much the love it! Keep it!

Greg

How about a new product from Griot's Garage "Ultimate Micro Fiber Car Duster?"
Any difference?

I love these! I used them on my black Ford Fusion and my black F150 w/o issue. I also use

on my silver Challenger everyday. No problem. Used on dust only, takes 1 minute before I

leave in the a.m.. I want a new one but.....hard to find. Seems they are back ordered

1. They are only useful on a car kept in a garage. Any car that sits outside for an extended period would likely be too dirty to use these on. Or, if using on a non garaged vehicle, it would have to be the first day or so after washing and not driven in the rain.

2. The correct way to use these it to hold them above the paint so the fibers are only touching the paint a little. The wrong way is to use it like your mopping the floor with the weight of the handle on the paint.

3. They are for dust only. They are not called Dirt Removers, but Dusters. Any accumulation of film, road grime, or bird sh*t on the paint won't do.

4. Shake it out frequently and always store in the bag it came in in the case it came with. Never use it on a wet car.

Exactly all the things I had to say about it. The biggest is #2. I've seen so many people trying to scrub a dirty car with these.

Wow. Surprised to see so many people would use it. I wouldn't ever bother. Much rather some dust accumulate until I'm able to do a proper wash or rinse less wash.

The less you touch your paint the better it will look.

Wow. Surprised to see so many people would use it. I wouldn't ever bother. Much rather some dust accumulate until I'm able to do a proper wash or rinse less wash.

The less you touch your paint the better it will look.

With ya Stephan. Mine is relegated for furniture dusting in the house.

Sent via telepathy.

Back