PDA

View Full Version : ONR Turns clear

CHALM
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I've been using ONR for quite some time, but just started using it as a lube for clay. I've noticed that after a few days the mixture sitting in the bottle turns clear. I know that all of the yummy goodness of the ONR is still in there, but why does it go from light blue and turn clear? Also, does anyone feel that it is still safe to use on paint as a lube? I would hate to pitch it and make another solution, and I don't want to add more ONR and mess up the ratio. Any thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated.

Nate

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
This has been brought up many times, I believe it's the chlorine in the water bleaches the color out. It's fine.

embolism
07-27-2012, 09:41 AM
it turns clear because you used tap water to dilute it and the polymers are binding all the minerals in the water the longer it sits.

Can't say that's why the colour is changing but the colour change has been reported when people use tap water. If you use distilled water then your lube will not change colour.

It's probably not as good as if you used distilled. I'd pitch it into my wash bucket the next time I was going to do a wash and mix up a new batch using distilled this time...

CHALM
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Sorry.....forgot about the search button. You figure I would have learned how to use that button from my other forums. Thanks for the reply. :xyxthumbs:

This has been brought up many times, I believe it's the chlorine in the water bleaches the color out. It's fine.

Setec Astronomy
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Sorry.....forgot about the search button. You figure I would have learned how to use that button from my other forums. Thanks for the reply. :xyxthumbs:

I wasn't chastising you, I don't know if it's been brought up a lot here, I guess I was trying to say "this is a known issue".

CHALM
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
No worries...I didn't take it that way. :-) I guess I responded out of habbit cuz the guys on the VWVORTEX forum light people up for not using the search button.

I wasn't chastising you, I don't know if it's been brought up a lot here, I guess I was trying to say "this is a known issue".

weekendwarrior
07-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I use distilled and its still blue after a week, just an FYI. I'd recommend distilled, over tap, for such uses.

RhetoricMixes
07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I believe that Dr. G said that it turns clear if its been exposed to the sun for a period of time. Mine does this also but I have never had a problem with ONR as a clay lube.

Chris Thomas
07-27-2012, 10:26 AM
It still has plenty of lubrication and polymers after having a slight reaction to the minerals in tap. The encapsulation process pulls the color out as it reacts. Distiller water is free of minerals...as is RO water so you never see the change, but it doest affect performance.

Sent from my IPhone

CHALM
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
It still has plenty of lubrication and polymers after having a slight reaction to the minerals in tap. The encapsulation process pulls the color out as it reacts. Distiller water is free of minerals...as is RO water so you never see the change, but it doest affect performance.

Sent from my IPhone

Thanks everyone for the posts.

flyinion
07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Huh, guess faucet mounted water filters aren't that great then lol. I use that in all my bottles and my ONR dilutions turn light as well.

weekendwarrior
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Faucet filter probably doesn't remove chlorine.

flyinion
07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Faucet filter probably doesn't remove chlorine.

Hmm guess I always assumed it did. Maybe they just somehow neutralize the smell and leave the chlorine? I know unfiltered water smells like a pool to me and the filtered doesn't.

weekendwarrior
07-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Probably not all of it (not 100%) and not all of the minerals etc either. Distilled is the way to go for pure water, don't drink it of course, won't taste very good :)

brawl
07-27-2012, 10:33 PM
They are correct. Distilled water is the solution. It still turns clear in my experience but it will take way longer time. If you use distilled water, you will consume the mixture first before it becomes clear. I wanted to try sterilized drinking water for infants, but I think it is too much expensive. :D