Are Detail King certified detailers any good?

Texarkana

Reaction score
I had my clear coat hacked up by a cheap detailer on thursday. I have been looking for a certified detailing business that I can trust and will fix the swirls on my clear coat. I came across this business and I am considering it, but I have a "don't trust anyone" attitude now I got ripped off.

Newport News Virginia - Exterior Auto Detailing Services

The guy I talked to said I would be getting the certified poly-seal package which would fix the swirls on my car.

Take a look and give me your opinion, I've learned my lesson about taking advice for granted.

I buy things frequently from Detail King. All that "certification" means is that the business owner paid Detail King like $600 to design his website or that logo may be part of the $895 "Authorized Licensee Program" where a person has the rights to advertise using the Detail King logo.

When I was getting going I looked into detail king. I stayed away.

I know a guy who is an authorized licensee he likes the company. The one thing is that he would be fully insured.

The kid who returned my phone call graduated from Detail King's training program, also was awarded the 2010 Student of the Year. I don't know how their program works. Would that mean he was the best student out of everyone who was trained that year, or just in his class?

If he is spending all his money to be involved with detail king then he is serious about his business. All detail king licensee need to carry garage keepers insurance. At least if he messes up your car you know he's covered.

I'll give him a call tomorrow and ask for references and pictures of his work. He also told me to go back to the guy who screwed the car up and tell him I want him to front the bill for the repair. I'll ask if he'll ride along, I need someone who knows the ins and outs of detailing to keep the guy from BS'ing me further.

First off, I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with one of the bad apples in the industry. We're not all like that (especially those of us on AGO)

If you look at the show and shine you can try and get a grasp at what level of work any given professional detailer is all about and then try and find one in your area.
Another thing you can do is just google detailers in your area and when you find a couple call them and simply ask if you can watch them work. I personally don't know why anyone would say no other than they got something to hide. That very practice is how I've gotten some of my best customers and is the only way your going to end up trusting another detailer.

I only know limited amounts about the company, but will tell you the person located near me that's a detail kings authorized business uses glazes and only operates a wax spreader and has no training on a polisher to actually remove defects. And offers paint correction services.......

For the price, I'd say he is definitely going to use a glaze.

They aren't going to fix your problem. It will just be covered temporarily. The website literally says that they will use glaze and then seal it up. You need to find someone who offers true paint correction services.

They aren't going to fix your problem. It will just be covered temporarily. The website literally says that they will use glaze and then seal it up. You need to find someone who offers true paint correction services.
:iagree:

you get what you pay for. make sure they are lic&insured next time that tells alot about the guy.

I had my clear coat hacked up by a cheap detailer on Thursday. I have been looking for a certified detailing business that I can trust and will fix the swirls on my clear coat. I came across this business and I am considering it, but I have a "don't trust anyone" attitude now I got ripped off.

Here's what you do,

Before letting anyone touch the paint on your car, ask them the below 4 questions,

1. What type of tool they are going to use?
  2. What type and brand compound/polish they are going to use?
  3. What types of pads they are going to use?
  4. What they are going to use for a wax or paint sealant?

Then simply post back here the answers and I'm confident our forum member will let you know if the person you're considering knows what they are doing and is up to speed with the best current technology available.

:)

It's not that hard...
Creating a swirl free finish is not that hard, last Thursday night we taught a number of people how to machine polish for their very first time, including Trista,

Video & Pictures: 1965 Fastback Mustang - Gtechniq EXO Show Car Makeover!

TristaBuffingFortheFirstTime001.jpg

Trista removing swirls on a show car...
TristaBuffingFortheFirstTime002.jpg

I'd say she did a very good job for her first time...

65Stang025.jpg

65Stang034.jpg

It's not that hard as long as you're using quality pads and products...
Here's another example, a few months ago we taught Tyler how to REMOVE swirls and create a SWIRL-FREE finish...

Live Broadcast Video - 1965 Plymouth Valiant - Extreme Makeover

1965Plymouth071.jpg

1965Plymouth078.jpg

:)

Back