Have you ever heard of XZILON sealant/protection ?

ssnobrakes

Nov 28, 2011
Atlanta
My friend from Florida bought a new car 3 months ago and paid extra for "XZILON CHEMICAL SEALANT" from the dealership that has a lifetime warranty. While visiting us in Atlanta I detailed her car . To me the paint was not sealed with anything. There was no beading, coating, smoothness or nice gloss on the paint at all. The paint seemed very dry without any protection. I used XMT products and the car now looks and feels great. Im just wondering if this sealant is sh*t, or if the dealership just did a crap job of application?.......Any knowledge, or comments about this stuff ?.......Thanks in advance.

I sit here shaking my head that anyone would fall for any dealer applied products especially if they're warranted for life....:dunno:

I wonder how long the discomfort lasted after they had their way with him....:doh:

Can you say' Snake Oil Salesman? :props:

Most of the "coatings" or "paint protection" sold at dealerships are little more than a synthetic sealant that you can buy for around $20-30 a bottle. The only reason they cost so much is the attached warranty which has so many loopholes it isn't even funny. They are simply a way for dealerships to make additional profit in a hyper-competitive, over-saturated new car market.

With that being said... some of the newer coatings being offered from dealers aren't that bad. The problem is that the dealership detailers are NEVER going to prep the paint properly for long lasting protection so it's sort of a coin flip as to if the coating will last at all.

I worked at a Ford dealership briefly and it amazed me how much they oversold this stuff. Customers would walk out of there with the impression that they could simply hose their car off with water once a month and it would stay perfectly clean all year around. :dunno:

My mother's boss actually got sold on this same product for his Acura MDX. He paid around $500 for it. I told him that he got ripped off and I could have used a better product for way less than that.

But, some people are a sucker for that stuff. And their "warranty" usually includes a yearly detail where they re-apply the product anyway.

The last dealership I worked at offered this same product. I had the unfortunate task of applying it, and I can tell you 1st hand that it is NOT worth it.

Years ago, I got a mailer for a finsh that was guarenteed for life, so I sent a reply. Turned out, "I could make a fortune" if I bought a franchise, and the customer brought the car back every so often for "routine maintneance", or the warrenty was void.

A good sealant and/or wax does the same thing with routine maintenance, and costs a lot less, but try to convince someone who believes the hype.

Most of the "coatings" or "paint protection" sold at dealerships are little more than a synthetic sealant that you can buy for around $20-30 a bottle. The only reason they cost so much is the attached warranty which has so many loopholes it isn't even funny. They are simply a way for dealerships to make additional profit in a hyper-competitive, over-saturated new car market.

:iagree: