PDA

View Full Version : New car in a few weeks, first steps?

Pages : [1] 2

Sframsden3
08-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forums here and new to car detailing in general. A little about myself first... I've only owned used cars in the past and have neglected them most of the time. I have on order a 2013 Mustang GT that I should be receiving in just a couple weeks. I don't plan on neglecting this one and want to keep it in like new condition from the day I get it. My questions are as follows:

1) What are the first things I should do/use when I bring her home? Clay bar, sealant, wax, etc?

2) What products are suggested to keep my new baby looking new throughout the years?

Again, keep in mine I've never once detailed a car before. Way I am looking to get out of this is to keep my car swirl free and also as shiny as when it comes off the factory line (or shinier). My location is in Buffalo, NY and this will be my daily driver. She will have to weather winters and salty roads.

Thanks in advance!

arack
08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forums here and new to car detailing in general. A little about myself first... I've only owned used cars in the past and have neglected them most of the time. I have on order a 2013 Mustang GT that I should be receiving in just a couple weeks. I don't plan on neglecting this one and want to keep it in like new condition from the day I get it. My questions are as follows:

1) What are the first things I should do/use when I bring her home? Clay bar, sealant, wax, etc?

2) What products are suggested to keep my new baby looking new throughout the years?

Again, keep in mine I've never once detailed a car before. Way I am looking to get out of this is to keep my car swirl free and also as shiny as when it comes off the factory line (or shinier). My location is in Buffalo, NY and this will be my daily driver. She will have to weather winters and salty roads.

Thanks in advance!

I would wash it, use Iron X to decontaminate the paint, clay it,polish the paint(If needed) and then consider a sealant/wax combo or a coating. You will be shocked at all of the stuff that comes off your car with the Iron X and claying steps.

I put Opti Coat on my new Acura last year and I have been very happy. CQuartz is also a decent option.

Since you have some tough winters up there, you should definitely consider a coating. The coating will add some more microns to your clear coat, which will protect your car.

Others will be be soon with their reccommendations.

Sframsden3
08-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I haven't heard of or read much about IronX. I have heard many people saying they recommend claying the car early on as there tends to be a lot of rail dust from the train ride. What does IronX do? (I will go read about it some now)

Jaretr1
08-19-2012, 06:30 PM
I would go to the dealer and ask them to leave ALL the plastic and protective covers on the car, and NOT wash it or detail it when it arrives at the dealership. They are more likely to add the DISO (dealer installed swirl option) if they touch the car. Besides, I used to work for a car rental company, and when new cars were delivered, it was kind of fun to rip all the coverings off the cars, seeing how they arrive straight from the factory.

Claying is recommended and then inspect the paint. Read up on Iron X here on the forum and Autogeeks website. Its a neat product. Depending on the condition of the paint, it will definitely need some sort of protection. Read up, choose a sealant, or a wax, whatever suits your fancy. There are so many awesome products to use. Like Mike Phillips says, find something you like and then use it often (or something like that).

The biggest key to keeping it looking great is proper washing techniques and then maintaining and protecting the various surfaces over the years.

The new Mustang GT is a nice ride for sure.

Jaretr1
08-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I should add a recommendation for Collinite 845. It has great durability and a nice shine, and while a little finicky to use, is also easy on the wallet.

Sframsden3
08-19-2012, 07:46 PM
One other thing I should add... I currently live in an apartment which does not have a hookup for a hose, so washing my car by hand may be difficult. I've been thinking of using a product like Optimum No Rinse as I've only read good things about that on here, your thoughts?

cleanmycorolla
08-19-2012, 07:53 PM
One other thing I should add... I currently live in an apartment which does not have a hookup for a hose, so washing my car by hand may be difficult. I've been thinking of using a product like Optimum No Rinse as I've onl read good things about that on here, your thoughts?

ONR is great, even if you had your own garage, you'd still want to use it it is great!

Sframsden3
08-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I know that AutoGeek has a winter section. Can anyone suggest products that they have used specifically for winter driven cars? If I can coax my girlfriend to park her jeep outside then I can park in our one car garage, otherwise mine will be outside all the time throughout the winter. I'm ost worried about how the salt will affect the products and my car. A lot of my worries come from the fact that my 6 year old car I currently have started rusting at the front lip of the hood. This could have been because I neglected her during ownership but I want to make darn sure that I don't allow my mustang to get rusted.

dad07
08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
I know that AutoGeek has a winter section. Can anyone suggest products that they have used specifically for winter driven cars? If I can coax my girlfriend to park her jeep outside then I can park in our one car garage, otherwise mine will be outside all the time throughout the winter. I'm ost worried about how the salt will affect the products and my car. A lot of my worries come from the fact that my 6 year old car I currently have started rusting at the front lip of the hood. This could have been because I neglected her during ownership but I want to make darn sure that I don't allow my mustang to get rusted.

you live in the Buffalo area......you have a New GT and she drives a Jeep.......in my mind the jeep stays outside cause that GT is not the most road freindly car in the winters up there!

Look at the Duragloss and Colonite lines for the best protection for the winter months.

Being born and raised in upastate NY I know what the winters can do do to a vehical....

Sframsden3
08-19-2012, 09:56 PM
you live in the Buffalo area......you have a New GT and she drives a Jeep.......in my mind the jeep stays outside cause that GT is not the most road freindly car in the winters up there!

Look at the Duragloss and Colonite lines for the best protection for the winter months.

Being born and raised in upastate NY I know what the winters can do do to a vehical....

I agree with you 100%. Haven't talked with her about it yet, but I'm sure she would be ok with it as long as I get outside every morning when it snows to clean off her car. If that's the only trade-off then it shouldn't be too bad.

Bradmerritt
08-19-2012, 11:27 PM
I would keep it very simple. The only thing that will really be needed on your brand new mustang will be a wash and wax. The day you get it of course, go to your local Autozone or Walmart and this is your shopping list.

-Wash mitt

-5 gallon wash bucket

-Good quality car wash soap, preferably Meguiars gold class or Mothers car wash.

-A good quality wax (I would recommend Meguiars Ultimate, Long lasting protection and incredible shine)
-Interior cleaner/ dressing (not Armor All)
- Invisible glass or Windex basic window cleaners
- Quick detailer
- A Package of microfiber towels (for removing wax and for use with your quick detailer)

Keep up your cars finish and interior will a bi weekly wash, interior vacuum, interior wipe down, and probably a once a month wax job if you REALLY want to keep it flawless and prevent from having to correct paint!

This is what id do as routine maintenance on a new vehicle. Best you can get for a guy who just wants to care for his ride and keep it beautiful.
Good luck! Keep that sweet ride looking it's best!

Sframsden3
08-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the great comments so far! A couple more things I have yet to mention:

The mustang is the Deep Impact Blue color.
I have no detailing tools to even begin with. So no buckets, towels, applicators, etc.

tuscarora dave
08-20-2012, 12:03 AM
I would wash it, use Iron X to decontaminate the paint, clay it,polish the paint(If needed) and then consider a sealant/wax combo or a coating. You will be shocked at all of the stuff that comes off your car with the Iron X and claying steps.

I put Opti Coat on my new Acura last year and I have been very happy. CQuartz is also a decent option.

Since you have some tough winters up there, you should definitely consider a coating. The coating will add some more microns to your clear coat, which will protect your car.

Others will be be soon with their reccommendations.
I would recommend exactly what arack has recommended, in exactly that order. Especially the Iron-X because there is surely rail dust and other fallout on or imbedded in the paint that Iron-X will safely remove, rather than claying it first and potentially marring the new paint. That is if the dealership detailers don't swirl it all up in the dealer prep process.

You should adamantly request that the dealership's detailers not touch the car, learn here at AGO how to handle it yourself the right way so you don't have to live with any repercussions of what a minimum wage dealership detailer might do to the car.

Welcome to the site and read on to learn what to do.

bimmer325!
08-20-2012, 12:28 AM
all are great tips......and for me..ONR is really great to maintain after the initial LONG process of getting things as perfect as you can. It really does seem to build a "barrier" with continued use as an extra layer of protection as you wash it.

Bradmerritt
08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Just bring that shopping list and do what i said for protection right off the bat. Try not to drive it in snow or rain very much and try to keep it in a garage over winter if that's possible all those things ruin your vehicle overtime

Brad Merritt