Need some advice from the pros....

Nuke33

Reaction score
I have a few questions for all the pros out there…..

Im looking to start a Wash and Wax Biz this summer, I just got some cards made and im going to start making some flyers soon, im working on the design.

My Question to you is what do people get in your normal wash or wash and wax package? I was thinking….

Hand Wash
Hand dry
Windows Cleaned
Tires Shined
Carpets Vac

Do you dress the wells for them and do you dress trim??

And I wanted to add the option of

Clay
Upgrade to a sealant saying it will last 6 months (Poli-Seal)

Another Question is….
How do you sell them on the package?
Where should I advertise to start?
How do I sell the add-ons like clay?

Im just looking for some tips that you have all picked up on from your experience.

[FONT=&quot]And do you think living my business card under someone’s wiper blade is a rude thing to do?

Thank you all very much.... It is becasue of all your help here that I want to take the next leep and start this biz.

Ryan
[/FONT]

never been a fan of business cards...do they work..yes...but I find better return in word of mouth...the best return i found was refer a friend..i used to tell the people who got full detail packages..i.e $200+..that if they refered a friend for a full detail within 2 weeks I would give them a free car wash...just a car wash with my foam gun and drying the car off...takes like 20 minutes....I already detailed the car so the wash was super easy...as far as upsells..feel out the client...if they ask how much extra for other services...just have figures ready to go...most detailing clients dont understand the benefits of claying, trim restoring, etc...thats your job to notice those things...the bulk of people will just ask how much for "everything" and just give them a breakdown of what you are charging for...

Last edited:
For the clay- give them a sample. Clay one part of the car and have them feel the difference. I'd also try uspelling polishing... thats where the best results are going to come from where you can stand out from competitors. Just doing a simple wash and wax you'll have a hard time making big improvements, this is where polishing comes into play...

I dont think you need a license....

I was going to charge 50-60 For a wash wax vac tires dress and windows cleaned i think this is a fair price i just hope people will be willing to pay.

My dad will spred the word for me he works with a lot of people with $$ and my moms a hair dresser so... speaks for itself im gunna put a flyer up there and give her some of my cards and she has some people asking about it already but i dont know if they will pay....

Do you clean wells in a reg wash?

fair price for a wash and wax is usuallyu determined by what the local auto washes charge..in my area its always around 40 bucks so price points for me start there...

I would clean the wheel wells during a regular wash.

I think lhe local Hoffmen Car wash does a hand wax for 50.... and i dont see any other plcaes i dont think its big around me like a lot of people doing it

This is my complete run down of all my packages:

Wash and Vac package:
Wash with DG #901 utilizing 2 bucket method. (If vehicle is not extremely dirty, I'll use rinseless)

Hand dried

Wheels cleaned with DP Wheel Gel OR Megs Wheel Bright (depending on wheel)
Tires and fender wells cleaned with Purple Power 1:1
Tires and fender wells dressed with whatever I feel like using that day.

Windows cleaned with DP's Krystal Vision glass

All exterior plastic trim protected (usually with 303)
All metal and chrome polished including tail pipes

Door jams de-greased and cleaned

Entire Interior wiped down and vacuumed (trunk upon request)
Interior windows cleaned

Price:
$30-$35-$40 depending on size.

Upgrade options:
Spray wax (either AW, Souveran Spray, Optimum, etc.) for another $10 for any size vehicle

Add Carnauba wax for $15 for any sizes vehicles (either PB's NB, MaxWax, Liquid Souveran) Depends on color, metalic, etc.

My next package included all above plus the entire interior cleaned, de-oderized, conditioned and protected. Exterior also receives clay barring and included is a premium spray wax. (uprgade to a carnauba for another $10)
Price:
$70-$80-$90 depending on size.

My final package includes everything above but of course paint polishing/correcting. I'll as many steps as 2 for the entire vehicle. The front windshield includes Klasse AIO applied by blue pad and PC. Wheels are clayed and waxed. Paint includes a carnauba wax.
Price:
$150-$175-$200 depending on size.

Upgrades:
Add a sealant instead of wax for another $25. I use DG 105, UPP, and WGDG

Add my "wet paint package." I try to this for high end vehicles.
After polishing, I use CK's VM and RMG, followed by Souveran Paste.
Add $15

I also offer a "new car upgrade" package. Includes headlight/taillight polshing, engine cleaning, dressing, and underhood waxing, ALL exterior glass receives Klasse AIO on blue pad, and if there is leather on the interior, I use Pinnacle's leather conditioner.
Add $40 w/ leather, add $35 w/out leather.

I also offer a "middle of the road package." This is my full detail, but instead of complete polishing, I'll use an AIO like 360 or PS.
Price:
$120-$145-$170 (I'm tinkering with this)

Exterior only detail w/ complete paint polishing.
$110 - $135 - $165

Interior only
$50 - $55 - $60

And the link that describd all of this: Hart's Auto Detailing - Dayton, Ohio - Prices

Edit:
As you can see, I really really try not to use "cheap" products. The products I use are ones that I've personally used already and know exactly where they will work best and for what purpose. I like 303 because it offers the best UV protection. I like to use liquid souveran because it looks great on light colors while maxwax works great on metalics, etc. etc. etc. I have over 25 brands, but over 60-70 products. For me, that's a lot since I made my first purchase from AG 4 1/2 months ago.

Last edited:
Nuke33 said:
I think lhe local Hoffmen Car wash does a hand wax for 50.... and i dont see any other plcaes i dont think its big around me like a lot of people doing it

I too don't have many of these around me. There are a tonnnnn of DIY washes and touchless washes, etc. etc. But very very few where an individual might dress the tires or apply some "cheap" wax.

On my website, I tried to devote a whole section why NOT to go to touchless washes, car washes, etc. I didn't make these guys sound bad, I just try to inform people that a harsh soap is not necessarily good for you vehicle.

Nuke33 said:
I dont think you need a license....

I think you should double check... depending on how much you are going to make you'll need some type of business license in order to claim them on your taxes... I'm not 100% certain on this but IMO its worth looking into so you don't have Mr. IRS knocking on your door...

I doubt ill be making that much money + im a dependent

Back