WG or Ultima cleaner/protectant for coated leather?

spike

Reaction score
Which one would you recommend? This is for a 2005 Acura TL. And is there a list somewhere of the leather cleaner/protectants that AG sells that are specifically for coated leather? Some of the descriptions don't really tell you if it's for real or coated leather. So confused about all the options! :confused: TIA

Yes, I'm really kinda disappointed with auto geek for not making an effort to specify in all their product listings whether the product is effective on coated leather. They really need to educate their customers about this.

I've tried a few different products. Their are lots of cleaners that are effective on coated leather. As far as conditioners, leather masters leather vital, seams to make a difference in the feel of my seats. It does make them a bit more supple. I've also got a bottle of the 1Z leathercare but havent tried it yet. Their listing does specifically talk about coated leather. As for a protectant, the ultimate interior guard plus seams to work well for me.

I use the WG leather cleaner/conditioner combo and am happy with the results. I feel the cleaner gets the dirt/sweat/oils off the leather well. The conditioner leaves a nice non sticky/ non greasy feel as well and protects from uv rays. Be sure to vacuum before using the cleaner.

I tried the WG conditioner on my new MB seats and found the results to be too "non-sticky and non-greasy" if that makes and sense. The surface seemed a bit dry and rubbery which is what I was trying to improve upon. I couldn't feel an improvement. I was left wondering if I just wiped it on and wiped it off.

I tried Blackfire Protectant this weekend and it is different from other protectants or leather conditions on leather I have sused.. Unlike most conditioners it left no real added slickness (Leather Masters was the least slick) and gave that squeaky leather effect.

I cannot say that is good or bad but it is unlike all these: Leather Masters, Mothers VLR, Four Star leather conditioner, PB's leather stuff, and DP Protectant.

Yes, I'm really kinda disappointed with auto geek for not making an effort to specify in all their product listings whether the product is effective on coated leather. They really need to educate their customers about this.

I've tried a few different products. Their are lots of cleaners that are effective on coated leather. As far as conditioners, leather masters leather vital, seams to make a difference in the feel of my seats. It does make them a bit more supple. I've also got a bottle of the 1Z leathercare but havent tried it yet. Their listing does specifically talk about coated leather. As for a protectant, the ultimate interior guard plus seams to work well for me.

I too noticed that 1Z specifically states that it's good on coated leather, and I like that. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that AG gets the product descriptions for the products they sell directly from the manufacturer, and that they don't write up a description on the products. So, I blame the manufacturers for the confusion on the products. I guess that's what the forum is for...to ask these kinds of questions and get answers from real people that have used the products and like them. :xyxthumbs:

I have been looking at Leather Master products too, so I need to throw that into the mix...are they good for coated leather?

I would like to see auto geek provide a chart something like the chart they use to compare polishes:
http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-chart.pdf

Perhaps they could list all the leather conditioners and their effectiveness and compatibility with the various types of leathers, particularly coated leathers.

The descriptions used by leather masters use the term "protected" leather. I take that to mean "coated" leather, as I've seen those terms used interchangeably.

I would like to see auto geek provide a chart something like the chart they use to compare polishes:
http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-chart.pdf

Perhaps they could list all the leather conditioners and their effectiveness and compatibility with the various types of leathers, particularly coated leathers.

Yes! I have spent 3 hours this morning reading all about taking care of leather. I think I am more confused than before. Some say water, some say vinyl protectorant, some say leather conditioner. I used Lexol on my 2005 Acura TL and while it did ok, I was not that impressed. Looked into Leatherique and decided to purchase...mainly for our leather couches (analine). Testing both out right now. Did a small section of the rear passenger seat in my TL and one sofa cushion which is in the back seat of the TL sitting outside with windows up.

Something has to be able to penetrate the pores of the coating to lubricate the leather underneath...otherwise I think the leather would get very stiff. I do have some bigger creases in the driver and passenger seats up front from years of neglect (just started learning how to really clean and detail my own cars).

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

Using the correct care methods and products will not alter the factory finish.

The type of leather you have is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. This is also sometimes called protected leather.
The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after.
Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty.
Dirt on the surface will also become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain. 'Conditioners' will not do any protecting on leather even if they say they do as there will not be enough active ingredient in them to do anything.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

Leather needs a little regular care and attention and this can be done with a maintenance product rather than a deep clean which you would then only need to do once or twice a year depending on usage and colour.
You will find that detergent style cleaners will remove the protection applied so you would need to reprotect each time you clean. A maintenance product like Auto Ultra Maintain helps to retain the protection rather than remove it so a reapplication of protector is only required after a deep clean.
Whilst individual products may be effective if they have not been tested together you may find they are counter productive

The routine for correct care should be

Protect from new Auto Ultra Protect
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product Auto Ultra Maintain
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year Auto Ultra Foam

Simple steps of cleaning & protecting will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Hope this helps
Judyb

Back