AG microfiber vs. Sam's Club MF

2012optimasx

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been detailing my new ride since I purchased it and have gone a bit over the top with detailing supplies and the lot. One thing that I was curious about was MF towels. I purchased some towels from AG that were on BOGO and to be honest don't know what the real difference between them and the ones I purchased at Sam's other than a whole lotta cheese.

Has anyone had any negative issues with Sam's MF?

Welcome to AG. I can see that this is your first post. The saying you get what you pay for applies. There are mf towels that look and feel great. They will also scratch your clear coat. Using the search feature look up the various links on mf towels, blends, quality, etc. There is also an area that talks about using a CD/DVD blank disk to test your towel on, before using it on your vehicle surface. The Sam's MF towels I have seen and used are dedicated to the undercarriage, wheel wells, and engine work.

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I understand what you both are saying and perhaps you all are right. Since I hAve purchased towels from AG I will use those only on the paint and the SAMs for interior vinyl/leather work.

The car is only tree months old Nd I know swirls a present and will eventually get a PC and get rid of them. I just hope that the swirls weren't caused by the less expensive MF towels.

They will also scratch your clear coat.

Wrong. I've NEVER had a Sam's club cheap-o towel scratch ANYTHING. EVER.

After a couple washes, I don't use them during final wipedown because they just don't hold up like my Cobras or Dragonfibers. Otherwise, they're perfect for everything else. Polishing metal, wiping off compounding/polishing residue, cleaning windows, etc.

Having the Sam's towels around saves me money by not having to invest in expensive towels for EVERY job, only the most sensitive ones.

Why would you have to invest in expensive MF towels for every sensitive job? I've had my polish and buffing towels for over two years that I use on two cars and they are still in excellent shape.

Why would you have to invest in expensive MF towels for every sensitive job? I've had my polish and buffing towels for over two years that I use on two cars and they are still in excellent shape.

You use the same towels on two cars. My towels see dozens upon dozens of cars. We are in two different ballparks. By "every job" I meant every task I will put a microfiber to use on when working on a car. Wouldn't it be a waste (of money AND a great product) to see an expensive towel being put to use by cleaning an exhaust tip? Why not let a cheaper, yet perfectly capable towel do the grunt work?

The local cheap-o stores towels (pep boys, autozone, home depot etc) seem to be pretty similar to the MANGO towels on AG. I have a bunch of them mixed in with my mangos in a drawer and i use them all for door jambs and when they start getting beat up i do the engine bays. I only really do my personal vehicles and friends vehicles so nothing is ever really TOO filthy. They typically are washed separate from my good towels.

With that said. I've got at least one (more like 12) of every towel that A/G sells and there are a lot of differences in them. My favorites are the Lavender and Gold plush towels because they're super plush on one side and short nap on the other side for those tough to remove products.

but is also LOVE the Chinchilla towels. I picked up a couple on BOGO, then ordered more the day they got here, theyre just SUPER SOFT and great for dusting off my truck which only moves about 1000 miles a year and sits in the garage the rest of the time. I did a full compound, polish, klasse, seal, wax over the past week on my truck and kept trying different towels for different uses, theyre all pretty good at everything, but if you only get ONE towel, id get the Golds.

which A/G towels did you buy ?

edit - I also use the Mango/cheapo towels around the kitchen and stuff for spills and counter wiping, they're great for that.

You use the same towels on two cars. My towels see dozens upon dozens of cars. We are in two different ballparks. By "every job" I meant every task I will put a microfiber to use on when working on a car. Wouldn't it be a waste (of money AND a great product) to see an expensive towel being put to use by cleaning an exhaust tip? Why not let a cheaper, yet perfectly capable towel do the grunt work?

If you reread, I agreed with what was quoted in my post. The only paint I use the Sam's MF towels on are door jambs and under the hood.

I also use them on exhaust tips, wheel barrels, the plastic shield that covers my fuel tank, etc...

I don't use them on surface paint during corrections or touch-ups.

That doesn't mean I'm wrong (or a lot of others). It just means I do it differently than you may choose to. He asked for an opinion and I gave mine.

I use the Sams club MF towels all the time. Granted though when it comes time for waxing and ultra high end cars I do use more high end towels. Sams has a few different colors. Ive color coded them as orange for washing, green for yucky stuff like tires and engine, blue for interiors, and then for some odd reason the yellow colored towels finish off a lot better than the others for drying and delicate paints. After a few washes though, the orange, blue, and green towels do loose their softness and may be more prone to micro marring even if you do use the micro restore soap.

Just get the yellow ones and be sure to pluck the tags off and then like you said just use the others for interiors and other areas besides the paint and you'll be fine.

Same here. I use sams club MF. Take off tags of course. Never had any issues with scratching.

I need to pick up some more towels but don't have a sam's club membership and definitely don't want to pay for one just to get towels lol.

Get the membership for the snack bar then. My Sams is located right in the middle of my mobile service area so Im in there about 3-4 times a week for lunch. 2 slices of pizza there equals about 4 slices at Papa Johns. 2 slices & a big 40oz drink with free refills including powerade on tap for only $4.75! I live in SC so I usually down a gallon of powerade at least while Im in there!:hungry:

You can find one day passes for Sam's if you apply yourself. I like the ProForce towels, they work great and don't scratch medium to hard paint. I've yet to use them on super soft paint though.

Hi autogeeks,

I bought cheap MF towels from Wallmart, Canadian Tire and I use them for interior doors and alloy wheels,engine bay etc.... .The MF towels sold by AG are top quality without a doubt. As a result they are more expensive but are well worth the asking price. Cheap = paint scratches to come IMHO. Do not ignore the DVD or CD test as previously mentioned to avoid scratches.
By following a few simple guidelines posted on AG forum and others, you will ensure that the work goes smoothly, that it meets your expectations and that youget what youarepaying for.
Johny

Hi autogeeks,

I bought cheap MF towels from Wallmart, Canadian Tire and I use them for interior doors and alloy wheels,engine bay etc.... .The MF towels sold by AG are top quality without a doubt. As a result they are more expensive but are well worth the asking price. Cheap = paint scratches to come IMHO. Do not ignore the DVD or CD test as previously mentioned to avoid scratches.
By following a few simple guidelines posted on AG forum and others, you will ensure that the work goes smoothly, that it meets your expectations and that youget what youarepaying for.
Johny

I would agree the ones from walmart are a load of cr*p but ive bought expensive ones and compared them with sam's towels and never had any issues, and will continue to use them

Back