Need wax recommendations for new car

eyost

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 9 month old Honda CRV paint color is Urban Titanium (brownish bronze) and am looking for waxing process recommendations. I realize that prep is the most important and I want to do it right to take care of the new car.

I have been looking at Meguiars and have been recommended the Ultimate Wax by one of their reps. Any thoughts?

I know wash, dry, clay, not sure the next step, and then wax.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Ed

Meg's is OK, but can't compete with other offerings sold here. If you want something really nice, get the Wolfgang Twins and Fuzion.

Bubba Proof :
OHP
OOS
OCW​

Then again, why not try an AIO like OPS or GPS topped with OCW. Maybe even XMT 360 topped with 180.

Can't go wrong with either Max Wax or XMT-180 as a carnauba topper, IMO, if you're just in the market for a wax.​

Last edited:
You are right prep is key. After clay.....I'm a fan of collinite 845 and top with carnuba paste. Some people glaze then do combo. But usually a glaze is when swirl removal etc has been done. If there is wax on your vehicle, I would take off before claying. Use plenty of clay lube. Good luck.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I probably should have added what would be your suggestions for the wash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ed

Blackfire or Ultima wash
Blackfire Total polish and seal
Blackfire Crystal Seal - 2 coats an hour apart

amazing......

i like meg's stuff, i used to buy poorboys, pinnacle, zaino, clearkote, wolfgang, etc, and the stuff at my local autozone like meg's, blows the others away as far as looks goes. and cheaper too. i used meg cleaner wax, then meg no 7 then meg 26 today, and it looks better to me than all other prodcuts i mentioned earlier.

i like meg's stuff, i used to buy poorboys, pinnacle, zaino, clearkote, wolfgang, etc, and the stuff at my local autozone like meg's, blows the others away as far as looks goes. and cheaper too. i used meg cleaner wax, then meg no 7 then meg 26 today, and it looks better to me than all other prodcuts i mentioned earlier.
1+ agrees. I'm thinking of getting rid of my pinnacle and other waxes and just stick with Meg's.

1+ agrees. I'm thinking of getting rid of my pinnacle and other waxes and just stick with Meg's.

Hehe, I have been getting rid of my megs and going with the "good stuff". When it comes to shine, ease and pleasure of use, its an easy call for me. Megs makes good stuff, but by no means the best. In fact, I have never had water bead on my car with any megs product the way its beading right now with Fuzion.

Hehe, I have been getting rid of my megs and going with the "good stuff". When it comes to shine, ease and pleasure of use, its an easy call for me. Megs makes good stuff, but by no means the best. In fact, I have never had water bead on my car with any megs product the way its beading right now with Fuzion.
+1...used Souveran for the first time today. I'm sorry but IMO there is no meg product that can deliver that look. I'll keep the 105.

Megs ultimate paste wax really beads.. Put two coats of Megs Ultimate paste wax back in April. It's a DD and garaged at night. And living in AZ it gets HOT. Just rained last night and it's still beading!!
9D090D8F-EF7F-4DEA-937B-13237E326838-1769-000001A57464E533.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Never said its the best. fusion is 175 right? I spend 25 on wax and put the rest in the bank.

I think megs makes great products, but when you compare certain looks ie depth, wet, gloss, etc. On alot of cars there is a true difference. IMO. I think souveran vs a megs product looks so much deeper and wetter on black/red and darker cars. I have used both for differenc types of customers. They have even been able to tell a difference in which was megs and PS. NB is in the same boat. Big difference. Its like driving a gas guzzler, you are not concerened about gas prices. If you buy souveran you are probably not concerned about price if you get what you want from it. I have had great success with collinite, pinnacle,wolfgang, NB, DP, megs and Zymol products. There is a huge range in price/versatility in all the products listed. They for sure have their place and following for a reason. believe me if any of these products had bad outcome we would all read about it.

I think megs makes great products, but when you compare certain looks ie depth, wet, gloss, etc. On alot of cars there is a true difference. IMO. I think souveran vs a megs product looks so much deeper and wetter on black/red and darker cars. I have used both for differenc types of customers. They have even been able to tell a difference in which was megs and PS. NB is in the same boat. Big difference. Its like driving a gas guzzler, you are not concerened about gas prices. If you buy souveran you are probably not concerned about price if you get what you want from it. I have had great success with collinite, pinnacle,wolfgang, NB, DP, megs and Zymol products. There is a huge range in price/versatility in all the products listed. They for sure have their place and following for a reason. believe me if any of these products had bad outcome we would all read about it.
I agree with you. For me tho my car is a DD. if I had a show car that was kept inside I would pinnacle. I have tryed and own a lot of waxes. I just like Meg's.

Never said its the best. fusion is 175 right? I spend 25 on wax and put the rest in the bank.

I didnt pay $175- got it on VIP! But as thin as Fuzion goes on, and the fact it comes with a free refill, its about $4 an application at the retail price. For the shine and pleasure of use, its worth it. Souveran shines like no other, and goes on smoother than butter, but its not terribly durable, again, well worth the $95.

I had been using Megs 21 on my RSX and thats super easy to use, but not very durable. I have also used Megs 26 and that is harder to remove and it leaves residue on trim. There have been people who have complained about megs UW streaking, again, not a problem with Souveran or Fuzion. Its like anything else, you get what you pay for. Megs makes very good products, but there is more to detailing products than Meguairs, and more to the detailing world than whats sold at Wallyworld!

I didnt pay $175- got it on VIP! But as thin as Fuzion goes on, and the fact it comes with a free refill, its about $4 an application at the retail price. For the shine and pleasure of use, its worth it. Souveran shines like no other, and goes on smoother than butter, but its not terribly durable, again, well worth the $95.

I had been using Megs 21 on my RSX and thats super easy to use, but not very durable. I have also used Megs 26 and that is harder to remove and it leaves residue on trim. There have been people who have complained about megs UW streaking, again, not a problem with Souveran or Fuzion. Its like anything else, you get what you pay for. Megs makes very good products, but there is more to detailing products than Meguairs, and more to the detailing world than whats sold at Wallyworld!
Pinnacle is easy to use and i love the smell of it. I used on my black ws6 before I sold it. Just can't see using it on my daly driver.

I didn't knw fuzion came with a free refill.

I have been using the meg ultimate like and really like the liquid wax. Put on thin and let it sit until it hazes. Use a GG 6" machine with an orange 5.5" pad with a microfiber bonnet. The UW will have streaking at first but the next day streaks will begone. Two thin coats makes a difference.

To the OP. use what you want. You need to be comfortable with the products that you use.

Wow, lots of great suggestions. Some are outside my budget, but others are definitely worth a consideration.

One additional question - do I have to use a polish before the wax on a new car? Also, many have mentioned that I need to remove the existing wax before proceeding. I have not personally waxed the car, although the car wash that I have been using (touchless) has some "wax" in it.

If I need to use a remover, what would be the best for that?

Thanks,

Ed

Back