luv a shine
09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Today my father brouht me his 2011 F-150 HD in lava(black cherry). i :
washed
clayed
compounded 105/MF pad DA
polished Menz 4500 white DA pad
did a wax and grease remover(body shop)wipe

then i tryed to OC the truck and it looks like someone wiped oil all over the truck.:eek::mad::cry:
it didnt flash at all it just smeard . i am 38 hot. it took me 12 hours to do this.

WHF??? Its not as easy and safe as everyone makes it out to be.

Vegas Transplant
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Are you mad at the product, or are you mad at yourself?

DaveT435
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Today my father brouht me his 2011 F-150 HD in lava(black cherry). i :
washed
clayed
compounded 105/MF pad DA
polished Menz 4500 white DA pad
did a wax and grease remover(body shop)wipe

then i tryed to OC the truck and it looks like someone wiped oil all over the truck.:eek::mad::cry:
it didnt flash at all it just smeard . i am 38 hot. it took me 12 hours to do this.

WHF??? Its not as easy and safe as everyone makes it out to be.
How long have you had the opti coat? I haven't used it...but it seems Richy had a problem similar to this and I think he finally determined that the product was old...just a thought.

mvanbv00
09-12-2012, 09:01 PM
This happened to me too. I reapplied opticoat to my hood because it wasn't up to my standards. When I reapplied OC 2.0 to my hood, my hands were sweaty, and I did not wear gloves of any kind. When I went to wipe off the high spots, the oils from my hands (i presume) smeared all over the hood. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was happening, so I grabbed a new microfiber and wiped until the oils/smears were gone.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, I'm just sharing my experience that sounds similar to yours.

SuperGlide
09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
How much product did you use?

luv a shine
09-12-2012, 09:24 PM
half the needle

Vegas Transplant
Lots of wisdom in your statement mvanbvoo.

OP, if you don't want to be offended...disregard this post.

Pro-detailers that hang their shingle should know not to continue if a panel or part of a panel is not correct.
*Kind of like not doing a test spot and wondering why the process failed.
*Or wetsanding the entire vehicle before knowing whether products at hand could remove wet sanding marks.
* Or using glass cutting pads and a da while trying to remove pitting from a windshield.

Too many detailers making the same mistakes, time and again.
One thing that AGO has is info.
As I type this there are approximately 53,708 threads.
731,026 posts between the forums.

In less than 60 words (didn't really count them all), the OP show his hand.
Ever hear of a "tell" in poker? Well your thread starter speaks volumes.
Everything I thought I knew but didnot...was revealed in this thread.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/53302-strange-opticoat-happening-2.html

I'm off my rant now...

luv a shine
How long have you had the opti coat? I haven't used it...but it seems Richy had a problem similar to this and I think he finally determined that the product was old...just a thought.

6 mouths. it was my first time using OC

SuperGlide
09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Any pics of how it looks?

What kind of body shop wipes?

Flannigan
09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
What was the humidity when you applied it? High humidity, in my experience, can cause the problem you are talking about. It just takes a little more time to make sure you get it all wiped off before you move on.

Not to be rude, but if it wasn't working for you on one panel, you shouldn't have continued to do the same thing to the rest of the truck. You should figure out what works on one panel, and then continue, so you aren't stuck doing things over again.

Vegas Transplant
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Chalk it up OP.
No big deal. Get a good nights rest and polish it out tomorrow.
Thanks for manning-up! You Rock!!!

luv a shine
09-12-2012, 10:34 PM
With what???

Chris Thomas
09-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm very sorry to hear you had a bad first experience. If it smears and didn't flash, there was something on the paint that would not let the bond occur. Next time just do a more thorough job removing residues and polishing oils. Prep is way more important than application method with a coating. And as for the suggestion that OC may be old, OC doesn't go bad in the syringe. It's either liquid or solid, but it doesn't "go bad." If exposed to air it will harden, but never become unusable or unstable.

I suppose you could have put it on too thick...but you would have still seen some flashing and not an oily look like you mentioned. It doesn't take much at all...a few drops per section.

Vegas Transplant
09-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Optimum polishes, what else?!?

It's not cured yet, and even if it were, you could still polish it out (off).

EDIT: If you can't sleep then search a few threads
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/41958-how-do-you-remove-opticoat-2-0-i-screwed-up-application-2.html
Tommorrow will take care of itself.

Flannigan
09-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm very sorry to hear you had a bad first experience. If it smears and didn't flash, there was something on the paint that would not let the bond occur. Next time just do a more thorough job removing residues and polishing oils. Prep is way more important than application method with a coating. And as for the suggestion that OC may be old, OC doesn't go bad in the syringe. It's either liquid or solid, but it doesn't "go bad." If exposed to air it will harden, but never become unusable or unstable.

I suppose you could have put it on too thick...but you would have still seen some flashing and not an oily look like you mentioned. It doesn't take much at all...a few drops per section.

How about humidity Chris? I have applied OC/OG to many cars, and had this same issue a couple times, and the only thing I could figure was the extremely high humidity and that I wasn't in my AC'd garage those days.