Streaks/Smeared Appearance After Polishing

zmcgovern45

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm relatively new when it comes to full detailing. I've noticed on a couple of cars lately that after polishing, when I pull the car into the sun quickly for a good once over before moving on to my LSP, some small areas appear to be streaking or smeared. Now it is only noticeable when you catch direct, concentrated sunlight on that particular spot, but it is annoying to me.

264106_10151221496497363_1948398084_n.jpg

In this picture, you can see what I call a "smear" mark on the right side of the hood near the body line.

Is that something that an IPA wipe down would remove? I am assuming this smeared/streaked look is polishing oils which I was unable to fully remove with my micro fiber.

Any feedback or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I cannot view the photo. But from your description I believe it is just polishing oils that were not completely removed. If you don't have any IPA mixed up, usually a quick detailer will remove the streaks you are seeing.

I cannot view the photo. But from your description I believe it is just polishing oils that were not completely removed. If you don't have any IPA mixed up, usually a quick detailer will remove the streaks you are seeing.

I agree. It looks like lines of excess product that bunched up on the paint at the end of your final wipe. Or residue that just didn't get wiped off initially.

These streaks/smears aren't removed by applying wax either. I forgot to mention that. I figured if it were simply some built up product remaining, that rubbing wax on the surface would be enough to remove them.

What kind of tool are you using (rotary/DA/Flex DA)? It could possibly be holograms that weren't polished out in your final polishing steps. Just little spots that didn't get hit long enough with a final polish.

Porter Cable 7424. I inspected them very closely with my Brinkmann and Halogens and they did not appear to be clear coat defects like holograms.

Try going over those spots with the same polish you used in your final step with a light polishing pad. If it is, in fact, polishing residue that was left on the paint, wax alone may not have removed it. Like product typically will remove like product very easily. Good luck! :props:

Back