PDA

View Full Version : Will you review my AGO cart for a newbie?

mpjustice
09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
I have my cart filled here at AGO and just want to see if others think I am on the right track. I just bought a new black 4 runner and it has the disco effect from the dealer. I want to detail myself 1 I enjoy it and second last place I had my car polished did a bad job. I want to be less aggresive because its a new car and I am a newbie any imput would be appreciated.

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Buy One, Get One Free!
$19.99Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay Lube

$9.99Meguiars Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze

$10.99Meguiars Mirror Glaze #82 Mirror Glaze Swirl Free Polish

$19.99Porter Cable 7424XP Intro Pad Kit - Choose Your CCS Pads! FREE BONUS Pad Pad1: White
Pad 2: Blue
Pad 3: Gray
Pad 4: Green
$169.99
Total: $230.95

van185
09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I think that it is all what you what to accomplish at the end of the detail. I would probably look to get a good wax or sealant to protect the paint after you polish it. I mainly use the Chemical Guys line. For me I would use the Blacklight and top it with something like Pinnalce XTM 180 Paste Wax, if your looking to save money. The Chemical Guys Blacklight is an amazing polish. You will need some type of clay lube also. You will probably get several different opinions, but find what you like and works for you. AG has great products and the forum is a great place to ask questions and learn.

dpk20x
09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
What size pads does that kit come with? Ideally you want 5.5" instead of 6.5" for a DA like the porter cable.

You also might want to pick up a 3.5" backing plate and some 4" pads to help u buff in tighter areas.

And just one more thought is you might want to pick up a bottle of ultima WW+ instead of the pinnacle clay lube as you get way more product for the money and it's a lot more versatile too.

A-train
09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
If by disco effect you mean dealer instilled swirls or buffer trails I would go with a different polish combo. Look into optimum, menzerna, or 3m. I don't think the combo you have will be enough if you are trying to remove buffet trails. Also agree with the comment about UWW.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

embolism
09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
you also need more pads, at least 2-3 of orange and white. You can get away with 1 or 2 black. I'd stick to 7/8 inch thick 5.5 inch LC flats or the thin hydrotechs myself

also agree that those polishes probably aren't enough. Power finish on orange is a great one stepper.

tuscarora dave
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
If I were you, I'd ditch the #5 and #82 (unless your intention is to fill the swirls) and go with M-205 instead. 205 is real easy to work with albeit a bit oily and is pretty non aggressive but it will remove light swirls rather than just fill them in.

I assume you already have your wax or sealant of choice, wash mitts, drying towels, polish and wax wiping towels etc.

mpjustice
09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks for all the replys! I indeed have all the wax and washing tools, just after the wash I saw the swirls from the dealer. The choices I made was the least aggresive polish so I would not screw anything up.

dad07
09-18-2012, 01:31 PM
I would look into the megs mf system.

BobbyG
09-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I would look into the megs mf system.

I was going to suggest this too Tim....:props:

The Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html) is so easy to use and the results are outstanding. I've suggested this many times to those new to detailing and have never had one complaint.

Bill1234
09-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Bobby, the microfiber da system is good, but somewhat hard to use for a new person and i dont think its a voc shop compliant. if the person owns a shop to detail, you are very limited with hazardous chemicals

Eandras
09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
I would go with the Griots Garage 6" polisher with a 5.5" pads. You can get the same type of setup. I would order the polisher and pads separate since the kit would come out a bit more in price. Look in the store you can get more for less. Don't forget the shipping charge

mwoolfso
09-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I agree with Dave on the 1-for-2 replacement with M205.

I would suggest you get the Mother's Clay Bar system in addition to the Ultra Poly Clay, and ditch the Speed Clay Lube. Lastly, I would suggest you get Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate, concentrated waterless auto wash, waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-waterless-wash-concentrate.html) .... UWW+ will help you in 3-ways, a clay lube, waterless wash and QD. Since it is concentrated, it will last awhile and save you some $$$'s in the long run.

The Mother's system has a bottle of lube already and when you go through that bottle you can reuse it with UWW+. :-)

As for the Porter Cable, I think you can call AG and request the 5.5" pads rather than the 6.5" pads and they will accommodate you. Since it is a new car, odds are good you won't need anything more aggressive than a white pad if you had a chance to inspect the vehicle and know what you are dealing with. You probably will need more pads over time so consider maybe ditching the green and going with a second white pad.

If you can swing some IronX Snow Soap that would help as well but only if you are leaning towards the OCD side of detailing.

So here is the modified list as I see it.

- Porter Cable 7424XP
- Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Buy One, Get One Free!
- Mother's Clay Bar System
- Meguiars M205
- UWW+

If you don't have wax then I suggest you start with Collinite 845 and/or 915. For $50, you get 2 waxes that literally will last you years. There is a small learning curve with 845 but since you are already paranoid that would probably benefit you in the application of it.