PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding DG 105/605

debordj
09-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Hello, newbie that is now addicted because of this site!

Did preps on wife's DD and when I put on Duragloss 105/601 it didn't really haze. I followed the directions from searching on the forum here. Used griots DA on speed 3. Pre loaded my pad and then used 4 dime size drops of 105 and one of 601. Did that mix for each panel. Did entire car and then buffed by hand.

At end I even overdid the product on a second pass of the hood to see if I could get hazing. Only a few places where I lifted off the DA did I see any hazing.

The car looks killer and is silky smooth but I'm worried I didn't lay enough product down.

Thoughts and advice? Thanks.

Detail-Impressions
09-20-2012, 07:53 AM
IMO sometimes depending on the weather condition Duragloss products will not haze over. If you worked them into the paint until they disappear, I found they do not haze. Let the car cure for 12 hours and swipe down with Auqa wax. You love the results.

BobbyG
09-20-2012, 09:39 AM
More often than not, we over apply most products making them difficult to work with and wasting a lot of good product in the meantime.

When applying this or any other product using a dual action polisher you may initially see a bit of ghosting as you move the machine and pad back and forth. As you continue even this becomes very hard to see as it becomes thinner and thinner.

When you think about the actual film thickness of the protective layer it's mind-boggling. The way I understand this is we're talking about 1/50th of a nanometer, or 20 Ångström typically.

To put it in perspective, there are 25.4 micron in 0.001 inch... :eek:

1 nanometer = 10 Ångström
1 micron = 1000 nanometers

Personally, I feel you have adequate coverage...:props:

RZJZA80
09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
I've noticed that 105 by itself will be more likely to haze than when mixed with 601, the weather affects this as well.

A.P.A.D.
09-20-2012, 11:17 AM
sounds to me like you did a fantastic job of spreading the product out THIN across the surface of the paint! Great job!

richy
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
sounds to me like you did a fantastic job of spreading the product out THIN across the surface of the paint! Great job!

I agree with Jon. Thin to win, LOL. As long as you have worked it into the paint, that is what you want. Do the swipe test regardless to make sure whatever residue that is on there is dry enough to remove. Usually removing the first panel you did after having applied to the whole car is plenty long enough to wait. You can top it if you wish immediately afterward. No 12 hour period required...that's why you use 601 (as well as increasing durability).

dad07
09-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Jon and Richy are right.......

IME When using DG products mixed with 601 it will "flash" meaning its almost "invisable" to the naked eye.

Start at one end of the vehical , work it in ,when your finished with the whole car buff it off. Its really that simple.

move on to your next step.....when mixing there is NO WAITING.

Detail-Impressions
09-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I am sorry I misspoke, the 12 hour wait is because I have found the DG products line change for the better after a few hours on the car.

I do understand you can top ASAP after you remove the DG product, but it looks better after you let it sit for a few hours.
This includes Aquawax product too.
IMO

dad07
09-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I am sorry I misspoke, the 12 hour wait is because I have found the DG products line change for the better after a few hours on the car.

I do understand you can top ASAP after you remove the DG product, but it looks better after you let it sit for a few hours.
This includes Aquawax product too.
IMO

You did not Misspeak.....you are right that dg products do change for the better.
If you use them alone as a step yes I would wait some......but if mixing there is no need to wait.

I Agree Aquawax does look better the next day, IMO.

Dirtyrango212
09-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Correct me if im wrong richy especially since you are the DG man ;') but I could have sworn I read a similar post a while back somewhere where someone asked if they could mix on the pad as OP did and everyone seemed against it saying that you can't get a proper mix of the products this case 105/601?? Not saying its not good but I would also like to know if it could be done this way.

debordj
09-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys. Makes me feel better.

After the first cOat that I mixed in the pad, I was nervous I didn't get it on so I mixed 105/601 in shake bottle and applied another coat the next day. I did notice that the next day it did feel really silky. Like silk sheets.

I then topped on Sunday with Collinite 915. Now that hazed for sure. I did what everyone on here said - thin and wipe after every panel. Sure glad I did cause I can tell it would be hard to remove.

Next morning I saw I missed some haze spots so I aquawaxed the entire car.

I looks flipping awesome. I'm gonna take some pics and will post.

richy
09-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. Makes me feel better.

After the first cOat that I mixed in the pad, I was nervous I didn't get it on so I mixed 105/601 in shake bottle and applied another coat the next day. I did notice that the next day it did feel really silky. Like silk sheets.

I then topped on Sunday with Collinite 915. Now that hazed for sure. I did what everyone on here said - thin and wipe after every panel. Sure glad I did cause I can tell it would be hard to remove.

Next morning I saw I missed some haze spots so I aquawaxed the entire car.

I looks flipping awesome. I'm gonna take some pics and will post.

Glad to hear it went well for you and met/exceeded your expectations! There's a reason that combo is so highly recommended!