PDA

View Full Version : Question about 3M cutting compound

tdrake2406
09-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Tonight I went to an auto shop they have here in phoenix and planned on picking up some meguiars 105 cutting compound and the guy there showed me the 3M stuff. He let me feel how abrasive it was and it felt quite abrasive. I went ahead and bought that but now im thinking maybe its too abrasive. Its much grittier then the meg's. Does anyone else have experience with this? Would you recommend this over the megs 105? I might do some severely oxidized jobs and also some other minor paint corrections. Any help is greatly apprecaited!

jackychai
09-22-2012, 04:23 AM
return it if possible. if not, throw it away. i still have almost a gallon of compound and a gallon of machine polish. u can have it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

A-train
09-22-2012, 05:47 AM
Is it 3m rubbing compound ?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
09-22-2012, 07:17 AM
What you have to understand is that 105 doesn't feel as abrasive between your fingers because it uses a different technology.

If you compare this to sandpaper, if you are sanding a piece of wood, if you start with 400 grit, which has small abrasive particles, it's going to take a long time...but if you start with 60 grit, which has big grains, it will cut fast but will leave big sand scratches that will have to be refined with finer paper. That's the way it is with traditional compounds, that's what you felt between your fingers.

But 105 changed the game by using very small, very sharp abrasives, the result is that it cuts like a compound but finishes like a polish. The Meg's rep that comes to your store needs to educate the countermen.

tdrake2406
09-22-2012, 09:18 AM
return it if possible. if not, throw it away. i still have almost a gallon of compound and a gallon of machine polish. u can have it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

I wouldnt mind trying it and I would pay your shipping. I would try the one i have but i dont want to risk not being able to return it. The stuff i have is called super rubbing compound

RoadRageDetail
09-22-2012, 11:23 AM
The super rubbing compound is rocks in a bottle. The standard rubbing compound can remove 1000 grit sanding marks and is aggressive. Just imagine stepping that up a notch. Not saying its a bad product, as it may come in handy one day. But starting off with that product is using the MOST aggressive method first, when it should be the other way around.

I also suggest picking up the 105/205 combo. Stuff is brilliant, you honestly won't believe your eyes.

tdrake2406
09-23-2012, 01:41 AM
The super rubbing compound is rocks in a bottle. The standard rubbing compound can remove 1000 grit sanding marks and is aggressive. Just imagine stepping that up a notch. Not saying its a bad product, as it may come in handy one day. But starting off with that product is using the MOST aggressive method first, when it should be the other way around.

I also suggest picking up the 105/205 combo. Stuff is brilliant, you honestly won't believe your eyes.

105 is the stuff i use currently so tomorrow i'm going to try and take it back

SON1C
09-23-2012, 06:57 AM
Yeah if you checkout my son1c blue paint correction thread you'll be impressed with the results of just 105 let alone 105205