PDA

View Full Version : Dusting with D151 Meguiars Paint Reconditiong Creme?

bwatereagleman
10-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Hello all! I am new to the AutoGeek Forums, so please bear with me. I have gained tremendous knowledge and insight by reading what everyone has posted, and it is certainly helping me with a few of the cars that I personally detail as well as to help me guide the guys who we employ. So thanks and everyone keep up the great write-ups ... you all make it sound so easy!

Here is my background. Currently, I represent a small used car dealership (boo hiss) where we detail approximately 30-35 cars a month, so realistically we have employed a production style of paint reconditioning. One of the products in our stable is the Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme.

We absolutely enjoy the results and simplicity of the product, but one issue we run up against is the dust it creates. Is this normal? Or are we applying it incorrectly? For further information we are using the Porter Cable DAs with Meguiars 6.5 inch pads. We prime the pads and use 3-4 quarter sized dollops thereafter. We clean our pads rather effectively (I think).

If dusting is the nature of the product, what are some ways you all are effectively handling the dust. I would think that dust would introduce the possibility of further scratches if you towel it off. Am I correct in that?

Also, I don't detail cars regularly but would like to be in the know so I can at least assist our guys, but is there something out on the web or on this forum that is a guide for vehicle paint hardness/softness?

And by the way... just as an informal poll, and chime in if you want, but vertical panels give me trouble. How about you?

Thanks again for your help!

ihaveacamaro
10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
If you tape up any body panel seam that dust could get into, that helps a lot. Also tape up a beach towel to the windshield and microfiber towels to the windows. This allows any dusting that might happen to be gone simply by taking the towels and tape off the paint.

I've never used D151, but if you're getting excessive dusting, then it could be that you are using too much product. However, I am not 100% certain of this, as I have never used it.

bwatereagleman
10-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the response. The dust that accumulates on the windshield or in cracks and crevices is most certainly annoying, and yes we should adopt the taping procedure. What is most concerning though is the dust that just accumulates on the just polished/buffed painted surfaces.

I have never thought that we would be using too much product. That's interesting. With the products you use, do you have a dusting issue? Is that dust safe to just towel off or is a damp towel with some type of exterior detailer or rinseless wash a best practice?

Circa40
10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
A lot of polishes create dust, even some that claims to be dust free. The only way that I've been able to reduce it is to mist quick detailer on the surface when wiping off the polish. I would recommend Optimum No Rinse as it dilutes and overall a great value.

AeroCleanse
10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Never had dusting issues with D151. Not sure what you could be doing.

For pad cleaning after each section, blowing out with compressed air may help.

Dr Oldz
10-06-2012, 01:16 PM

:iagree:

Usually dusting with 151 is caused by using too much product. Prime pad properly then just a few pea size drops is needed for each section.

bwatereagleman
10-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the input ... I have personally cleaned the pad "on the fly" as Mike Phillips has shown, used compressed air, brushed it with a pad brush, and even removed the pad from the DA and washed it half way through polishing the vehicle. I really don't think the pad has too much product build up, but maybe as ihaveacamaro suggested we are just using a tad too much product per section or has Circa40 mentions it is a polish and subsequently there is going to be some dust.

AeroCleanse are you a regular user of D151? If so, what is your process? How are you priming the pad if at all? How much product per section if your section size is about 20"x20"?

I'm sure there are other products available that may be more suitable that D151 for our application, but we have a Meguiars distributor right down the street from our location and the owner's and family have been super supportive of our business, so in turn we want to support their business.

bwatereagleman
10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
:iagree:

Usually dusting with 151 is caused by using too much product. Prime pad properly then just a few pea size drops is needed for each section.

I will try using a little less product. Thanks for the input.

AeroCleanse
10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the input ... I have personally cleaned the pad "on the fly" as Mike Phillips has shown, used compressed air, brushed it with a pad brush, and even removed the pad from the DA and washed it half way through polishing the vehicle. I really don't think the pad has too much product build up, but maybe as ihaveacamaro suggested we are just using a tad too much product per section or has Circa40 mentions it is a polish and subsequently there is going to be some dust.

AeroCleanse are you a regular user of D151? If so, what is your process? How are you priming the pad if at all? How much product per section if your section size is about 20"x20"?

I'm sure there are other products available that may be more suitable that D151 for our application, but we have a Meguiars distributor right down the street from our location and the owner's and family have been super supportive of our business, so in turn we want to support their business.

Semi regular user. I correct with a wool pad on a rotary using the normal pickup method. I then follow up with a polishing pad on a DA if needed to remove holograms after inspection.

On the DA, I place an X across the pad (I like the Hexlogic pads), then do each section, blow out the pad and repeat.

D_Nyholm
10-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I use d151 regularly on lake country ccs pads. I have found that it is a product that you can use a decent amount of without many I'll effects I will use a decent amount in the beginning (a swirl around the outside of the pad and a drop in the center. After, I add 2 nickel sized drops for each section. I will occasionally add more as the pad dries out or I clean it off. I do not get much dusting this way. I have also noticed that if I use hydro tech pads, I need to use much less product or I will get dusting.

acsuppa
10-07-2012, 02:49 PM
The only thing I can recommend is work in a cool area out of the sun, don't use too much product, keep your pad clean, try working smaller areas and don't over work the polish. I personally only used D151 on a few cars but I found it to have a decent work time with no dusting. Very easy to remove too.

bwatereagleman
10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. I realize it isn't the end of the world to deal with dust, but it is another added step in wiping it off. It never stays on the panel that was just polished, rather it goes everywhere. I will try to simply use less product and report back.

Brunkel
10-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Thread revival here. I will actually have to disagree that the issue is the "using too much product" claim. I did a test with brand new pads and different priming methods, and different amounts of product and all tests resulted in dusting. I actually found that with D151 using more product and keeping your work time "wet" created less dusting than using small amounts of product. I primed the pad (green buff and shine foam pad) so that the product covered the entire face of the pad, then I used 3 pea sized drops of working product and this gave me the best results...still dusted, but it was the least amount. The most dust was created when the pad wasn't completely primed with product and just used a mist of detail spray to prime.

Can anyone else chime in who has used the product for years? I'm still fairly new to it.

allenk4
10-17-2014, 12:41 PM
In my experience, things that cause dusting:

-Machine Speed too High

-Paint Surface too Hot

-Using too much Product

-Working area too big

-Arm Speed too Fast

-Trying to do a vehicle with less than 3 pads (regardless of cleaning on the fly)

-Not enough downward pressure (pad whipping around)

-Older vehicle with "dry" oxidized paint

Since you are probably working on a wide variety of vehicles at a dealership...it could be any of these